Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My problem lately is that I have been going into my FLGS about every other day with the intentions of buying a game then when I get there a look around, see a game on my wish list I always seem to talk myself out of it.

What the hell is wrong with me??

Is anyone else having this trouble, is this gamers block - WTF?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"It's the economy stupid,"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I hate it when I get one of those streaks of rational sanity. Ride it out. You'll be back to normal soon. Maybe you should order a copy of Automobile to break the curse. You know where to find a copy. Better be quick, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Beukema
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
metalchorus wrote:
to quote the elder Bush.."It's the economy stupid,"

I think this is dead on. I fondle games in stores for the same reason. Even when the economy wasn't tanked, I would do so due to my own little budgetary restraints.

That said, the phrase itself was a part of Clinton's 1992 campaign against the elder Bush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Colorado_Jeff wrote:
Yeah I hate it when I get one of those streaks of rational sanity. Ride it out. You'll be back to normal soon. Maybe you should order a copy of Automobile to break the curse. You know where to find a copy. Better be quick, though!

Your friend is in my sites, I almost got her.

Pardon this inside comment, it comes from a discussion we had in the Automobile game forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
metalchorus wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking that when I wrote this post - but I set aside money specifically for games and still don't buy them.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It means you don't really want it as bad as your current condition.

Meaning you must have the need for that money for something greater.... backup cash in times of this economy, something you're saving for, something you rather buy, not enough people to play a game with...

All those things.. could be possibilities.

Once you satisfy your rationale, you'll find it easier to buy that game.

[/opinion]

I wonder if you're freakin out the store owner seeing you stare at the game you want every other day lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Shipman
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Hmmm... What are you drinking? Care to share some? I seem to buy games for any reason. One good review - SOLD. Bored - SOLD. Mentioned in a Podcast - SOLD.

I really have a problem... and a garage of games.

Shiny! SOLD!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
metalchorus wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking that when I wrote this post - but I set aside money specifically for games and still don't buy them.shake

Your wife must be very happy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
metalchorus wrote:
to quote the elder Bush.."It's the economy stupid," :)

Yeah, I was thinking that when I wrote this post - but I set aside money specifically for games and still don't buy them.:shake:

Could you tell us what you tell yourself that convinces you not to buy the games?

Kinda interested if this money is specifically for games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stubner
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I didn’t think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows -- Bart Simpson
mbmbmbmbmb
It means you are coming to your senses!

1) You probably have lots of games that either need more playings or worse, need to be played

2) You already have a diverse enough collection of games that new ones always remind you of something you already have.

3) You realize others don't want to learn another rule set just to play your new slight variation of another game.

P

(edit: spelling)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ranoobu wrote:
jjloc wrote:
metalchorus wrote:

Could you tell us what you tell yourself that convinces you not to buy the games?

Kinda interested if this money is specifically for games

Now that you are forcing me to think about this, hmmmmm.

I guess it seems to be more of "How often will I play this?" "Will the other gamers in my group like it?" Obviously if I'm the only one who likes it then I'm stuck with a game I will never play.

My group is kind of funny, I like the medium to heavy games but my group tends to like the light to medium games. I like the thinkers. There are some players in my group that like the same games I do but they don't come every week. So you say, "Well only show up when those other players intend on coming."

Well to that I say, I am so addicted to playing games I would go into withdrawls if I missed a week. I don't think I play enough the way it is, but don't ask my wife - she thinks one night a week is to much AND she never plays games with me either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:

Now that you are forcing me to think about this, hmmmmm.

I guess it seems to be more of "How often will I play this?" "Will the other gamers in my group like it?" Obviously if I'm the only one who likes it then I'm stuck with a game I will never play.

My group is kind of funny, I like the medium to heavy games but my group tends to like the light to medium games. I like the thinkers. There are some players in my group that like the same games I do but they don't come every week. So you say, "Well only show up when those other players intend on coming."

Well to that I say, I am so addicted to playing games I would go into withdrawls if I missed a week. I don't think I play enough the way it is, but don't ask my wife - she thinks one night a week is to much AND she never plays games with me either.

That really stinks... all those reasons, imo, are good reasons not to buy it if you feel like it would just be a waste of space/money.

The thing is, you won't know until you try?

Maybe you can buy the game and see what everyone thinks. If they don't like it, you can always trade it or sell it.

You could also try to find a gaming group (i've seen threads about people always inviting others to join their local groups) and you might end up being in BG heaven. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fbeukema wrote:
metalchorus wrote:

I think this is dead on. I fondle games in stores for the same reason. Even when the economy wasn't tanked, I would do so due to my own little budgetary restraints.

That said, the phrase itself was a part of Clinton's 1992 campaign against the elder Bush.

Thanks for the info...I've corrected it. Don't know why I thought Bush said it. Carville spun that so well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I fondle games in-store all the time. Last weekend I held the Korean edition of Power Grid for a half hour, read the box text three times!

I dunno about you, but most of what I do here on BGG constitutes virtual box fondling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's just that there aren't any games screaming at you to be played right away.

Personally, I think game design has hit a creativity wall, relative to the past few years. I think we're too busy trying to catch up with all of the innovations, that new designs aren't being so creative with new mechanics, but rather with using existing ones with a twist.

So, maybe there's nothing really "new" out there for you. That's where I'm standing, and I doubt I'm alone.

Sadly, I still play collectible games, so it's been no respite for my wallet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
I fondle games in-store all the time. Last weekend I held the Korean edition of Power Grid for a half hour, read the box text three times!

I dunno about you, but most of what I do here on BGG constitutes virtual box fondling.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ripley
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to say that it represents your pure love of gaming and it is alright - say it with me "I can have what I want, but I cant have everything" (there's no place to put everything anyway).

Even though there are often great illustrations on the boxes to tell you about the game, nothing beats opening a brand new game and checking everything out.

I agree with several folks here as well, so I would say to simply put it in the budget - know that every month you get to buy a new game and explore it, carry it to all game meetups that month (to make sure the irregulars get a chance to experience it too) and then do as already described above; keep it, sell it or trade it.

Dang! I just talked myself into it...lets see, where did I put that budget i fastidiously adhere to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tory G
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know mine is mostly budget. I usually talk myself out of it lately because I feel guilty spending money on it when I probably should spend it on something else. Even money i got for my birthday I have a hard time spending.

Of course I did just get RftG and justified that it was my birthday, so maybe I'm not as bad as I thought

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Kinda SW of Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do this sometimes. Go specifically to check something out end up leaving, coming back later, leaving. I usually end up buying pretty much the third time. I figure that if I can't just walk away I might as well get as I will most likely regret it later.

I think it is being taught or told that hobby type things are superfluous and therefore you should spend your cash on more fruitful things. So it's a little process of convincing myself that "yes, it is worthwhile". Doesn't happen all the time, there are definite must buys. But for other things there's the question "do I really need it??"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. B @ Rockin' B
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mainly, I think it boils down to this:

If you buy the game there will be less reason to return to the FLGS as frequently and wonder thru the games to see if anything arrived new.

It is kinda like going to the mailbox in some respect. Always hoping for the unexpected to be there and make you smile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:

I believe the correct term is cyber-box-fondling.

And no, I don't wanna see the videos you've posted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:

We bid on Goa on eBay last night, which was kind of like making out, but we didn't go all the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! And I thought that I was the only one with this problem!!!!

My advice is to start trading. You have plenty of games already and there is no way that you are playing all of them. Trading allows you to feel like you are not spending as much money because you end up spending money on shipping nonetheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jjloc wrote:
My problem lately is that I have been going into my FLGS about every other day with the intentions of buying a game then when I get there a look around, see a game on my wish list I always seem to talk myself out of it.

What the hell is wrong with me??

Is anyone else having this trouble, is this gamers block - WTF?

For me, it's knowing that if I manage to get the stars to line up, and find the PERFECT games to order, I can get them cheaper online and with free shipping.

It usually goes like this:

bippi adds to his cart
Game 1
Game 2
Game 3

Do I really want game 3? I mean, it's a good game, but wouldn't game 4 be better?
Game 1
Game 2
Game 4

YEah, that's better. Wait... is game 1 right for the situation I intend on buying for? Wait, what situation do I want to buy for anyway?

Game 5
Game 2
Game 4

This process repeats until Aldie's bandwidth bill comes in and I'm banned from boardgamegeek.

Now, that said, taking the wife to the game store can create some very spontaneous purchases of things that aren't on anyone's list, sometimes good, sometimes bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.