Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This pertains to my game Red Winter which is currently on the P500 list at GMT Games. http://www.gmtgames.com/p-270-red-winter.aspx

I recently contacted Gene at GMT regarding the solitaire rating for Red Winter, which they had rated at moderately high. Following our discussion, GMT has adjusted the solitaire rating upwards to reflect that the game works very well when played solitaire.

It was explained to me that only those games designed specifically for solitaire play achieve the highest ratings of 8 or 9, and that makes sense. I think the new rating is dead on perfect.

The new rating is 7 out of 9. This pushes Red Winter into the "High Solitaire Suitability" category.

Here is some text I wrote related to this issue:

Solitaire Red Winter

Although designed primarily as a two player game, Red Winter is also ideal for solitaire play because there are no cards or hidden information of any kind. The "fog of war" comes in part from the units' generous movement allowances during night game turns, and the Finns' ability to strike nearly any hex on the map via night raids.

These and other mechanics provide a game with continually shifting opportunities. Each side must exploit their enemy's missteps as they occur. Remaining flexible in turn to turn operations is at least as important as long term planning. This keeps the gameplay fresh for the solitaire player.

Optional fog of war rules are provided in the Play Book for players wishing to explore this option.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the game.
It is available for preorder here: http://www.gmtgames.com/p-270-red-winter.aspx

Thanks for looking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, great. Just what I need...another "high suitability for solitaire game". Gah!! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.