Subject: Hidden Units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Paget
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Have only played FF1 so far. I am slightly concerned about hidden units in future FFs. More specifically keeping track of them and declaring them should an enemy get to a position where they should be revealed. Anyone have any advice on how to handle the hidden unit rules? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hong
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can print out the maps from the academy games website (or in the files section) and laminate them. Just like this:

enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just have a player mark on a sheet of paper where the unit starts. He can then keep it covered unless the unit moves and he needs to mark a new hex. Since it can only move 1 hex after that and still stay hidden, each time it moves, just note the new hex number.

This is also a good mechanic, because it creates a record of how the unit went from hex to hex.

It can also be fun bluffing with your opponent, making him think that your hidden unit moved, even though you just wrote "SP" on the paper, for "Stay Put." He might be thinking you're moving into position, when really, you aren't doing much of anything.

Cheers.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:

It can also be fun bluffing with your opponent, making him think that your hidden unit moved, even though you just wrote "SP" on the paper, for "Stay Put." He might be thinking you're moving into position, when really, you aren't doing much of anything.

You need to be telling your opponent when you're doing an action, at least saying "I'm moving a hidden unit". In the next version of the rules (for Storms of Steel), this will be more necessary and more clearly spelled out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
You need to be telling your opponent when you're doing an action, at least saying "I'm moving a hidden unit".

I believe you can take an action to move a hidden unit, but leave it in the same hex it started in. (Still expending 7 APs to do so.) I think this is what Chris is saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sigurdur Gunnarsson
Iceland
Seltjarnarnes
flag msg tools
I have been somewhat disappointed by the way hidden units are handled in this game. The game system itself is rather simple and the game is often portrayed as user-friendly, but if you´re playing a scenario with a number of hidden units it becomes a rather fiddly process to keep track of what´s going on. I´m sure the little maps help but I feel this sub-map system clogs up an otherwise fast-flowing game.
I have tried modifying the hidden units rules when playing solitaire by giving hidden units a plus-2 defensive modifier (I didn´t like the official solitaire adjustments). It seemed to work fine in terms of giving hidden units an advantage although the fog of war aspect is of course lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Geada
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A possibility that would still keep the game manageable and maintain some fog of war is to borrow an idea from ASL (& other games)
for each "hidden" unit you're allowed to have or acquire, you get 2 or 3
counters: 1 or 2 dummies + one for the real unit.
All those counters behave as normal units, ie are present on the board and move around as normal and have +2 defensive bonus (as per above). But
your opponent can't tell which ones are real vs dummies.
If any of the counters is spotted, it is flipped the right way round and if it is a dummy it is just eliminated, if it is the real unit it loses the concealment defensive advantage.

This way you don't need to deal with secret maps and coordinate LOS between the real map and the hidden map etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say I love the COH hidden rules, and the fact that the units are REALLY hidden, as opposed to just trying to fake it somehow with dummy counters. I use laminated print outs similar to what David mentioned above, and I find keeping track of hidden units incredibly easy.

Moving around and performing other actions with hidden units just doesn't happen very often, so it is not difficult to keep track. I would find dummy units more confusing - I'd keep having to look at them to remember which hex I actually placed the unit in.

In Storms of Steel there will be sniper units, who can fire while hidden and are not necessarily spotted, which I think will be very fun to use. However, they rely very much on the current way hidden units work, and I believe dummy counters would make them not nearly as useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Frans
United States
Mukilteo
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree, I think that CoH is the first game to do hidden units right. I've never found it to be too much to keep track of or hard to keep track of. The biggest inconvenience we ever experienced was just having to a player walk away from the table while the other one picked their hidden locations (so it wasn't clear where they were hiding them). We don't even bother with the mini-maps. It's about as much work as planning artillery shots, which I've never heard anybody complain about.

My advice to the OP is to just try it before you worry, and see if it's actually as much work as you think. You might just find that's it's really simple and nothing to worry about anyway. The Fog of War aspect it creates really adds to the game in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Geada
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, playing with the rules as is works very well and is easier than it seems from just reading the rules.
Particularly because the spotting rules for hidden units are so straightforward that most of the complications and interactions that occur in other games just don't arise to mess things up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Young
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, I just got done playing the Partisan scenario this morning solo after I finally got the game last night. So I'm moving onto the The Gap, and they have 2 Russian hidden units, so what are the rules and hints for doing this when going for solo play?

Cheers, thanks!!

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TRDG wrote:
Hey guys, I just got done playing the Partisan scenario this morning solo after I finally got the game last night. So I'm moving onto the The Gap, and they have 2 Russian hidden units, so what are the rules and hints for doing this when going for solo play?

Cheers, thanks!!

Tom

I don't play CoH solo much so I can't give you much advice, but Uwe did update the rules for hidden units and solo play from the original rules. If you haven't yet, I highly recommend downloading the new rules from the Academy Games website, as they give additional rules for solo play of hidden units, as well as use of action cards too, if I remember correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Young
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Idid in fact download it last night, but I wanted to get the basic rules down on the first couple games. I may just have to read it in full to really get the solo play and its solutions for the hidden units. I saw a couple of other threads and ideas on how to do it ASL style, but there must be a better way.

Cheers, I'll have no "live" enemies until next weekend, so hopefully the new rules (and I wonder about any of the new Kursk rules related to it when it ships out at the end of the month, hopefully anyways) will help me out until then.

I'm trying the ASLstyle rules right now, but not as fun or challanging as how the rules were meant to be played as with 2 people...

Thanks for the help here.

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TRDG wrote:
I wonder about any of the new Kursk rules related to it

If you e-mail Uwe, he will send you the Kursk rules. I'm guessing they'll be available online within the next week or so anyways. The major change with the Kursk rules (which work quite well with Awakening the Bear) is that both sides can have one active unit going at the same time. I think it's a huge improvement to an already great game, and will be playing all CoH games with the new rules from now on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Young
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to hear that, I bet also because of more units on the map perhaps to really get that Kursk tank battlefield effect. I just started getting into the game so I won't bother Uwi as I'm sure he's pretty busy at the moment putting the finishing touchs on the game before it ships out in early August.

Cheers, to great times ahead for us CoH gamers!!!

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.