Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
Or as I like to call it "Hey look another right wing nut job is making christians and conservatives look bad!".

And a wiki URL for Drake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would also be nice if Christians would set an example by not repeating false claims about sermons they clearly haven't listened to (and which are easily seen) since if they had they would know that Wright wasn't revellingin the deaths of his fellow men at all but was instead talking about the need to end the cycle of violence.

But I'm not holding my breath...since in my experience, the folks who wear their Christianity as a badge are often the least concerned with being faithful witnesses for Christ. (You know, by maybe doing a bit of fact-checking before repeating something hateful.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
!
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
11. Thou shalt not criticize white people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
I've listened to the sermon in its entirety. He quotes Malcolm X with his answer about JFK being murdered and then spills into an anti-US litany saying that we deserved it. His sermon was an opportunity to criticize white people and revel in their deaths because they got what they deserved. Pay attention to where the applause lines are and you'll see what he wants to stress.

He quotes a U.S. diplomat quoting Malcom X in a context about ending the cycle of violence. He talks about the desire he and his congregation felt for payback against the 9/11 attackers and the need to pull back from that and to focus on their personal relationship with God. If you're capable of watching that sermon and concluding that he was revelling in the deaths of white people, there's not much more for us to say. One of us is either insane or unable to follow the English language, and I doubt we'll agree on which it is.

Quote:
But I'm not holding my breath...since in my experience, the folks who wear their Christianity as a badge are often the least concerned with being faithful witnesses for Christ. (You know, by maybe doing a bit of fact-checking before repeating something hateful.)

You mean like saying things like the US Government created AIDS to kill black people? That kind of fact-checking? I can't imagine someone giving tens of thousands of dollars per year to a "Christian" organization which would put out that kind of trash.[/q]

I'm not talking about him. I only know a little about him, mainly from a half-dozen sermons I watched in order to see the context behind the you-tube clips that everyone focused on. He seems a bit kooky to me and certainly holds some bizarre beliefs, but in any case I'm not putting him forward as a great example of Christian witness either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
You mean like saying things like the US Government created AIDS to kill black people?

Point made.

RESOLVED: All Christian pastors are lunatics regardless of political affiliation.

NEXT ISSUE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
I can't imagine someone giving tens of thousands of dollars per year to a "Christian" organization which would put out that kind of trash.

It does not require imagination. Observation suffice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Boy, it sure would be terrible if a politician attended a church for the vast majority of his adult life where hateful things like this were preached every Sunday and the preacher revelled in the deaths of his fellow men whose "chickens had come home to roost" so to say.

How is this relevant?

Does what one person says justify another's action?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
That's a bit of a change from your defense of his hateful sermon earlier. Would you extend that criticism to people who consider him their spiritual mentor, attended his congregation for decades, and financially supported him?

As noted, we disagree over whether the sermon was hateful. All I know of him is from watching the full sermons from which various sound-bytes were taken and used as a basis to condemn him, and that apparently he thinks that the government is behind AIDS. The latter strikes me as kooky, but I thought the sermons were beautiful, for the most part, and not at all hateful. Thus, I have no basis to think less of anyone who was or is a member of his congregation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.