Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus was one of the first games I bought. It had strategy and my wife liked it. It was flexible and would play with 2 or more fairly well.

2-3 things bugged me and I ended up trading it away.

1. The moveable guy(provost I think) often caused the game to end really quickly. If I remember correctly, if he ends the turn ahead of the bailiff, the bailiff would move twice that round. The game almost always ended after a fairly short number of rounds. Too short!

2. At first we screwed up the game and played to the end of the twisty playline. Then, I realized that it ended 5 spots before the end of the line(using the pictures here as a memory refresher). That was the correct place to end the game, right?

3. The portal. What is the point? It is almost always cheaper to just place the worker, plus the portal would not let you transport til the end of everyone's placement. Is this correct? What am I missing here?

I just wished the game was longer, but the provost almost always made it fast... Am I missing something there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
Caylus was one of the first games I bought. It had strategy and my wife liked it. It was flexible and would play with 2 or more fairly well.

1. The moveable guy(provost I think) often caused the game to end really quickly. If I remember correctly, if he ends the turn ahead of the bailiff, the bailiff would move twice that round. The game almost always ended after a fairly short number of rounds. Too short!

2. At first we screwed up the game and played to the end of the twisty playline. Then, I realized that it ended 5 spots before the end of the line(using the pictures here as a memory refresher). That was the correct place to end the game, right?

3. The portal. What is the point? It is almost always cheaper to just place the worker, plus the portal would not let you transport til the end of everyone's placement. Is this correct? What am I missing here?

I just wished the game was longer, but the provost almost always made it fast... Am I missing something there?

1. If it seems to end too soon, then perhaps you aren't playing aggressive enough. What I mean is spend some cash and bribe the Provost back along the track. When you do this, not only can you hurt the other players, but you also slow down the Bailiff and hence, the game itself.

2. Yes, the game ends in one of two ways: At the end of a round when the Bailiff reaches or passes that spot you mention on the track, OR at the end of a round when the Tower section of the Castle is filled up (with batches/houses).

3. I assume you mean the "Gate" here. It's the first space after the Castle on the road. It is purely situational. It's purpose is to hide your intentions from your opponents. It lets you delay your move until after seeing what your opponents do. Perhaps you'll use it to go to the Castle, where you can't be blocked? It has advantages and disadvantages, but I'll let you search the forums and read the several threads here that discuss the merits of the Gate.

Give it another go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hedden
United States
Greenville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:

Play on BSW online. It will open your eyes quite a bit and make you appreciate Caylus a lot more.

It seems as if you havent played it enough. The bailiff does advance, but only if you allow it. It all depends on your strategy to win. The game can inch along, or end quite abruptly.

You do end the game once the baliff reaches the last post marked on the board. The extra spaces are there for many strategic plays. One may be to build for VPs, another may require that you advance the provost to activate a tile before the game ends to get a final move with ending favors.

The portal is like a fake out move. A "where the hell is he going to move" placement that can be quite annoying. For example, You have a worker placed on the castle. He plays on the portal. Later, he places that worker behind yours. It may make you worry on your donations to the castle, and cause you to overspend your resources, or mess you up on gaining favor since he has more resources than you to donate.

Caylus is one of my '10's, and I totally love it. I am not very good though, lol. But man, IT FRIGGIN ROCKS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that a worker on the provost control space and one on the gate can be quite powerful!

"Stay the hell out of the buildings near the end!" is what that says. You get a good boost to control over the last three buildings on the line, and if everyone else moves into those buildings, you'll move the provost backwards on them. This can occasionally backfire when *everyone* gets into this mood, and the bridge causes the provost to keep moving backwards; nearly nothing gets activated, and you may lose more than other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If Caylus was longer, I would give it a rating of 4. As it makes you plan according to the provost and bailiff's moves, within a relatively short playing time, it's a 10. Any game shouldn't let you do everything, and it shouldn't let you do the same thing for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambrose wrote:
If Caylus was longer, I would give it a rating of 4. As it makes you plan according to the provost and bailiff's moves, within a relatively short playing time, it's a 10. Any game shouldn't let you do everything, and it shouldn't let you do the same thing for a long time.

I am talking primarily as a 2-3 player game.. the game often lasted about 30 minutes because the bailiff kept being moved forward 2 spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
Ambrose wrote:

I am talking primarily as a 2-3 player game.. the game often lasted about 30 minutes because the bailiff kept being moved forward 2 spaces.

Wow. I have never seen a 30-minute f2f game. IMHO, 2-3 players is the best way to play Caylus, 4 is decent, 5 I will oft avoid.

I can also think of many excellent games in which you can do just about "everything" (depending upon your definition) (Go and Chicago Express spring to mind).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph DiMuro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:

This could be a rules mistake. At the end of each round, the bailiff moves one or two spaces forward (depending on where the provost is), and then the provost moves to wherever the bailiff now is. Did you remember to move the provost back to the bailiff's new space?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TrojH wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:

This could be a rules mistake. At the end of each round, the bailiff moves one or two spaces forward (depending on where the provost is), and then the provost moves to wherever the bailiff now is. Did you remember to move the provost back to the bailiff's new space?

Yes, but since people generally like to use newer buildings and it is fairly easy to do in a tight 2 player game, the bailiff ends up moving 2 spots each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Continually taking the Merchants' Guild with the intention of moving the provost ahead every turn is actually a losing strategy. If you were to do that against me I would take the next safest spot on the road regardless of whether or not I was the 1st or 2nd player for that turn. At that point you could choose to move the provost backwards instead but, unless you are the 2nd player, you don't have much leverage since the last player to pass on a given turn (usually the 2nd player) has the final say at the bridge on which way to move the provost. In essence you could move it back on me, but then I could move it back on just as many or more of your workers. and since going 1st gives you the juicier choices this is usually bad.

You spent 1 worker to move the provost, I countered by taking the next available space. Now you either have to go for the next good building (if there is one) or be forced to move the provost back. In theory it may seem a good thing to do to get 2 of the 3 stone farms, but then you leave the 2nd player the gold mine. The net result is that you spent 3 workers to get 6 cubes from 2 farms and the other player only had to spend 2 workers to get 3 cubes from 1 farm and 1 gold. Unless you need those cubes immediately to win at the castle for this turn, then your actions lost you ground compared to the other player.

Even if you are the 2nd, and have the last say in moving to provost at the bridge, I will counter by taking the next available space on the road. Then it is up to you to move it back on me or place another worker on the next space in the road. But place another worker ahead of mine you have essentially made my last move safe. And if something valuable is still left I will simply go there next to deny you of it. Sure you can deny me as well by moving it back on me, but you didn't gain any advantage over me because of it. In fact you are behind in valuable worker placements because I went 1st and you used 1 of your workers to move the provost. A better thing to do when you are 2nd (assuming your opponent doesn't get greedy and try to take 2 unsafe spots) is to wait until the end of the turn to either take the next valuable spot or take the Merchants' Guild to move the provost back. If you are afraid your opponent may pass early, then take the gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rohrer
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
TrojH wrote:

Oh my! We totally screwed that up without realizing it on our first game. Thus, the provost was almost always way ahead of the bailiff, and the game ended pretty quickly. Here we should have been moving the provost back to the bailiff at the end of each turn!

I now see that in the rules. Thanks for pointing that out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shroud wrote:
Continually taking the Merchants' Guild with the intention of moving the provost ahead every turn is actually a losing strategy. If you were to do that against me I would take the next safest spot on the road regardless of whether or not I was the 1st or 2nd player for that turn. At that point you could choose to move the provost backwards instead but, unless you are the 2nd player, you don't have much leverage since the last player to pass on a given turn (usually the 2nd player) has the final say at the bridge on which way to move the provost. In essence you could move it back on me, but then I could move it back on just as many or more of your workers. and since going 1st gives you the juicier choices this is usually bad.

You spent 1 worker to move the provost, I countered by taking the next available space. Now you either have to go for the next good building (if there is one) or be forced to move the provost back. In theory it may seem a good thing to do to get 2 of the 3 stone farms, but then you leave the 2nd player the gold mine. The net result is that you spent 3 workers to get 6 cubes from 2 farms and the other player only had to spend 2 workers to get 3 cubes from 1 farm and 1 gold. Unless you need those cubes immediately to win at the castle for this turn, then your actions lost you ground compared to the other player.

Even if you are the 2nd, and have the last say in moving to provost at the bridge, I will counter by taking the next available space on the road. Then it is up to you to move it back on me or place another worker on the next space in the road. But place another worker ahead of mine you have essentially made my last move safe. And if something valuable is still left I will simply go there next to deny you of it. Sure you can deny me as well by moving it back on me, but you didn't gain any advantage over me because of it. In fact you are behind in valuable worker placements because I went 1st and you used 1 of your workers to move the provost. A better thing to do when you are 2nd (assuming your opponent doesn't get greedy and try to take 2 unsafe spots) is to wait until the end of the turn to either take the next valuable spot or take the Merchants' Guild to move the provost back. If you are afraid your opponent may pass early, then take the gate.

Perhaps. It was one of the first games we bought. It is very likely that we overlooked some points. Hence this post! I do see myself buying the game again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.