Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there ,

I played against the IJA finally and a Banzai charge was declared and I wanted to see if we played it correctly

1: do conscripts and wounded leaders still get 8 MF?

2: A unit about to have the charge enter his hex gets to do DFF and SFF right? what about when the charge enters his hex? is it an auto OVR if its an SMC and then is it TPBF if its an MMC ( snd if it is TPBF do the charging units getthe TEM for the hex they are in with a -1 FFNAM?)

3: after the Movement phase, does a banzai charge get to use TPBF in the ADFPH?

4: if the unit in the hex is under DM , what happens during the rout phase? does it try to rout away . and is eleiminated if the only hex available puts it next to another enemy MMC?

thanks, Playing the IJA really did our heads in, but we had LOADS of fun playing the scenario , I think I had only 4 defensive hexes and I had 9 or so residual firepower counters in play , wow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dude163 wrote:
Hi there ,

I played against the IJA finally and a Banzai charge was declared and I wanted to see if we played it correctly

2: A unit about to have the charge enter his hex gets to do DFF and SFF right? what about when the charge enters his hex? is it an auto OVR if its an SMC and then is it TPBF if its an MMC ( snd if it is TPBF do the charging units getthe TEM for the hex they are in with a -1 FFNAM?)

4: if the unit in the hex is under DM , what happens during the rout phase? does it try to rout away . and is eleiminated if the only hex available puts it next to another enemy MMC?

thanks, Playing the IJA really did our heads in, but we had LOADS of fun playing the scenario , I think I had only 4 defensive hexes and I had 9 or so residual firepower counters in play , wow.

I don't have the rule book handy but here are my recollections:

1. I would say the conscripts do get full 8MF movement if they are with a leader. Wounded leaders, no.

2. Yes, of course they get defensive fire, and subsequent if they don't cower and the adjacent hex took more than 2 MF to enter. I believe the overrun on a SMC would occur if the banzai unit has enough MF to do it. The unit in the hex would get FPF, the banzai unit would get the TEM but still a -1 FFNAM. Note the roll would be a MC for the unit firing.

3. I don't think the Banzai unit gets to fire in the Advance Ph. They should be marked with a CC marker once they enter the enemy location.

4. I think the DM unit can route out of the hex as long as there is a clear route path after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Knoll
Canada
Shilo
Manitoba
flag msg tools
MMP Disliker
badge
Soldier for Up Front, but is my back to the Volga or the Spree river?
mbmbmbmbmb
dude163 wrote:
Hi there ,

Wounded leaders defiantly do not. Conscripts yes.

It fires as per the DF fire rules against MF expenditure. When an enemy unit enters a units location it must fire. It is FF, SFF or the dreaded FPF. If it is in the hex it gets the tem regardless of other units in the hex. It still eats the FFNAM b/c it is moving.
A25233 cross refernced with A4.15 explains very clearly in the event of a lone SMC.

If you managed to get in the same Location as an enemy unit. Remember it is tripled for TPBF and halved for Adv Fire.

complicated question as the rout rules are complicated. It can leave a enemy location to get away thus puting it adj, but remember that you can not get closer to a known enemy unit. so if it routs adj to the unit that it was located with an dthen routs away normally then fine. But if leaving the hex puts it adj to a known enemy unit in another hex then it is toast. But like I said rout is complicated and I hope this answers your question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Knoll
Canada
Shilo
Manitoba
flag msg tools
MMP Disliker
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

3. I don't think the Banzai unit gets to fire in the Advance Ph. They should be marked with a CC marker once they enter the enemy location.

I disagree. They are marked CC, not melee. Since Banzai follows HW rules with small changes, A25.234 line 9 clearly states they can.

Hope this wins you your next Japanese/Russian/Chinese victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dude163 wrote:
thanks, Playing the IJA really did our heads in, but we had LOADS of fun playing the scenario

Japanese are fun (?) to play and to play against. Well, fun and frustrating!!! cry There is definitely an art to playing / playing against them. Imagine them charging 768 marines or 337 Chinese...gulp Big differnce.

dude163 wrote:
I think I had only 4 defensive hexes and I had 9 or so residual firepower counters in play , wow.

Wait til you give a CG (campaign game) a whirl...RB (Red Barricades), anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unbelievably, I did almost everything right!

oh wait, except for Wounded Colonel Honda the 7+2 , he moved 4 MF instead of 3, his whole stack was eliminated in an ambush anyways

another thing we didnt use was prisoners, we still keep thinking that failure to rout means a unit is eliminated , time to hit the books!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Knoll
Canada
Shilo
Manitoba
flag msg tools
MMP Disliker
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dude163 wrote:

oh wait, except for Wounded Colonel Honda the 7+2 , he moved 4 MF instead of 3, his whole stack was eliminated in an ambush anyways

another thing we didnt use was prisoners, we still keep thinking that failure to rout means a unit is eliminated , time to hit the books!

There is no ambush dr if you occupy the opponents hex during the MPh in case Honda Banzai into there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dude163 wrote:

that would be correct, except perhaps in a very early 42 scenario. No Quarter is in effect most of the time..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bk_otj wrote:
dude163 wrote:

There is no ambush dr if you occupy the opponents hex during the MPh in case Honda Banzai into there

AHA!! we did it right ! as after the rout phase his stack advanced into my killstacks hex , those MMGs are great, not so much when it comes to melee

but it still ended up 9fp to 9FP so 1-1 and my 9-1 SGT vs the 7+2 colonel

muahahahaha

Ill take a picture of the dead pile so far
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool man, the Japanese are a lot of fun. I think pulling off a good Banzai charge is an art though. Sure the Japanese can keep going with the reduction and everything, but I've seen them lose a lot of steam on the way. It is probably best used as a 'death blow' attack when the enemy is already on the ropes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree,

but once I saw my brother looking at his stack of : 1 battle hardened 4-4-8 , 2 reduced conscripts ( 2-3-6s?) and a wounded 7+2 leader I noticed an evil grin appear , then he says, "open up the section on Banzai, time for a death ride to glory"

we both started laughing , especially once we read the guys name was Colonel Honda , as he said " hey he's wounded , shouldnt the be Colonel Kawasaki now?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pardon the pun, but what about Col. Suzuki?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.