Popular Tags: [View All]
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanaza. I like both games, but bohnanza will give you more interaction and laughs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Gan
Philippines
Quezon City
NCR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Bohnanza.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Honorable Mayor McCheese
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played Frank's Zoo so I can't comment on it but I love Bohnanza. I will point out that although the rules give 2-player rules, it doesn't work well in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza.

I like both games, and Frank's Zoo is fun, but it's not as intuitive to non-gamers. Bohnanza generally goes over better, and it's more interactive, which is always a plus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza will be an easier game to play, but a bit harder mechanics to learn. Not re-aranging your hand of cards and the rules of cards in play takes a game or two to get used to it.

Frank's zoo is easier to learn, and is only slightly harder to play the game well.

Bohnanza will be a game with less "gotcha" moments to setback opponents, and players will have more information of their opponent's success and current position.

Frank's Zoo will have more surprises and Gotchas.

Bohnanza always seems to end before people expect it to end, and Frank's Zoo can either go well, or drag on some rounds longer than people's interest lasts.

Both are good games, both play to different moods. I'd get Bohnanza first, but I have them both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the base version of Frank's Zoo is easier to learn than Bohnanza. However, once people know how to play it, most of them will probably prefer Bohnanza. (Yet another however: A copy of Frank's Zoo should be cheap enough that you might as well get both games. FZ without the hedgehog/lion rules and without partners is a solid 9 in my book)

Edited for clarity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played Frank's Zoo but have played Bohnanza.
I want to be the lone slight-dissenting voice towards Bohnanza - basically it's not intuitive enough for me personally, basically because you can't move the cards around your hand. This may affect "non-gamers" too. The natural approach to holding a hand of cards is being able to move cards around your hand but in Bohnanza the order of the cards cannot be changed. While this may be part of the clever nature I also found it kinda complicated and more than once moved the cards around without even thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While Bohnanza is a pretty fun game, I have two problems with it. The second is kinda dependant on the first I guess.

Bohnanza is one of those games where you have to pay attention to what is going on. You can't zone out on your turn and text your BFF or you may miss out on trades. Every time I play Bohnanza, when a player flips over the two cards I have to hint loudly "Hey, I bet there's someone on the other side of the table that could use those Coffe Beans"... or something of that nature. If people don't pay attention, then there is less interaction and thus less fun. Also the game really slows down... which brings me to my second dislike.

This game can go on a litte too long sometimes. The box says 45 minutes but we never finish in less than an hour or an hour and fifteen minutes. If people understand the game and are on top of things, then the game goes by quickly and is definitely fun. If the game starts dragging on, then I can't wait for it to be over.

If your family can pay attention and stay tuned in to the game then buy it and I'm sure ya'll will have fun with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
First up, as a gamer, I prefer Bohnanza. Frank's Zoo is a little on the simple side for me. However, when our inlaws drop by, it'll be Frank's Zoo that gets played, not Bohnanza.
To answer your questions:
Which one is easier to learn? Frank's Zoo (basic rules). Games don't come much simpler.
which one plays better? Bohnanza (with competent gamers), but Frank's Zoo is much shorter.
if you have a different recommendation, please share. You don't say how many of you there will be. But look at BANG! or Saboteur or Zombie Fluxx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Walsh
Australia
Darwin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Frank's Zoo. The basic game is very easy to learn but once you've got the basics down pat move on to the team play as this is where the game realy shines. Great, underrated game. I've played Bohnanza as well but it just didn't do it for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
didaskalos wrote:
Thanks, all. I'm still undecided!

My family will have 5-7 players, but all probably won't play every game. I'd say we could guarantee 4 at a time, and sometimes up to 7.

With groups that size, Bohnanza has better rules to accommodate them all at once, and you won't be keeping score as you go like you would in Frank's Zoo -- in Bohnanza you just sum things up at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.