Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Curtis Royal
United States
Fernandina Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really did look for the answer to this question before posting it, sorry if it's been explained before but...

When making a before combat test against a hero's attribute does the experience bonuses he/she has accumulated count towards the roll?

example challenge card: Test (insert hand symbol/body) Swim 14, if my hero has a body stat of 3/x and has aquired +4 in body bonuses, is the swim roll 2d10+3 or 2d10+3+4?
or do the bonuses only count in combat rolls?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes sir, your accumulated bonuses do count towards before combat skill tests. Those bonuses count towards everything unless otherwise specified and unless I am sorely mistaken vanilla Runebound has no such exceptions.

Always look carefully at the wording of cards though because some items only apply to combat situations, I've had friends try to get away with adding the Lightning Mace to a swim test, if they'd had the strength belt (actual name escapes me at the moment) they could because that provides a broad bonus to your body attribute, as if you had additional experience tokens, however, the mace applies only to combat rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Royal
United States
Fernandina Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ReinhartTR wrote:
Yes sir, your accumulated bonuses do count towards before combat skill tests. Those bonuses count towards everything unless otherwise specified and unless I am sorely mistaken vanilla Runebound has no such exceptions.

Always look carefully at the wording of cards though because some items only apply to combat situations, I've had friends try to get away with adding the Lightning Mace to a swim test, if they'd had the strength belt (actual name escapes me at the moment) they could because that provides a broad bonus to your body attribute, as if you had additional experience tokens, however, the mace applies only to combat rolls.

Thanks David - I figured equipment was by the wording of the card, just wasn't sure of the bonuses during before combat test.

Basically depending on the particular stat plus accumulated bonuses there could be before combat test where the Hero could have a high enough total as to not even take the test because he can't fail (this would seem to be the case even in some combat situations).
I wonder if there is a house rule where double ones always fail, just to add that extra layer of tension ninja

Thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about doing that, like a "critical failure" in paper and pencil RPG's. I also thought about making double 10's a critical hit of sorts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Royal
United States
Fernandina Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ReinhartTR wrote:
I thought about doing that, like a "critical failure" in paper and pencil RPG's. I also thought about making double 10's a critical hit of sorts.

I can see that... but just for the heroes actual combat roll - and maybe just the attack roll only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.