United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
Rolling dice and taking grains!
badge
Rolling dice and taking grains!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm crafting a score sheet to log our plays of Race for the Galaxy and it's expansions, as I'd like to get data on how we fare with different planets, etc., and I'm trying to think of what useful information should be on it without it being too tedious. I'm listing what goals are in the game, everyone's start planet and ending VPs, and am tinkering with the easiest way to log 6 Devs played in the game (though I'm not sure how useul that will be). Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on what else would be useful to record for a game play for statistical analysis, that's not too clunky to log every game? I'll be happy to post my final score sheet template when I'm done. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thies Kolln
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd find it interesting to see how the VPs in a game break down between tableau, VP chips, 6-devs and goals. This lets you see whether a particular planet most often wins with produce/consume or some other strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
What were you playing? - What expansions, what settings, how many players, that sort of thing.

Who won? - Detailed accounting of the winning tableau - how did they win their game? What did the other players do?

What was special in this game? - Did anyone have anything special come up in the game? Were there a lot of blind Trades? Did someone get megapoints with a particular card? Did someone use a weird strategy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fel Barros
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Senior Game Developer at CMON
mbmbmbmbmb
You can follow a pattern similar to San Juan/PR

VP chips
Raw vp from buildings
6-cost developments
Bonus Tiles (for gathering storm)
If you want to make more specific
You can make a line for each bonus tile and mark an 'x' for the player who took it.

And if you want some details, include a notepad on the bottom for some observations. Also instead of player name to denote each player, get an abreviation for each starting homeworld and you will find the behavior for each of them

And last but not least, don't forget to upload it. I love to save score for games I enjoy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thesp wrote:
what useful information should be on it without it being too tedious. I'm listing what goals are in the game, everyone's start planet and ending VPs

I think logging points by type is tedious, but if you do, break it down like so:

vp for worlds
vp for devs
vp for 6devs
vpc
vp for goals

What you can do to make it less tedious, is to log all but 6cost vps, and set 6devs=ttlscore-x, where x is the sum of the other 4 above.

For games irl i record date, location, #action cards (e.g. for 2pa), preset hands or no, expansion(s), players, ttlscore, start worlds (for 2p). For 3p+ i just log my own start world.

That's not too tedious. But logging which goals are in play and tableau points by type will probly be tedious. I only log that for online plays or plays against the bot, and i'm a stats fanatic.

I can throw up a template of my score spreadsheet if anyone wants - it's pretty heavy duty tho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Player
# of players
Starting World
Points from worlds/non 6-cost devs
Points from 6-cost devs
Points from chips
Points from goals

Should be your basic info. It shouldn't take you any more effort to separate out the point categories, since you have to sum those anyway.

The hardcore could list names of 6 costs played and goals taken, or perhaps their strategies. Does your friend go for produce/consume 2x 80% of the time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're gonna list 6-cost devs, then I'd suggest giving abbreviations/acronyms to use to save time and space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
If you're gonna list 6-cost devs, then I'd suggest giving abbreviations/acronyms to use to save time and space.

Since i'd already done the work (i find short acronyms for rftg cards quite useful), here they are:

ATI
FTA
GBan
GEx
GF
GGP
GI
GRen
GSS
ILor
IS
MG
MiL
NEc
NGO
PGL
PGR
PG
RA
TG
TL
UC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.