Popular Tags: [View All]
Harvey O'Brien
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
...easy ...easy ...eeesay...
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know offhand if these rules are a derivation of some classic ruleset? Just curious. I've bought it, but it seems like it could easily be played with a basic card deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does seem that way doesn't it. The rules and gameplay have a very classic feel. And although you could play with a basic card deck, the game costs just a little more than a good deck of cards, so having a dedicated 'artwork friendly' deck is the better way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott P
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed this right away, too. It struck me that the game was a variation on the classic Italian card game, Scopa. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15889
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really more like Scopa or Cassino in reverse.

In Scopa no one owns any cards at the beginning of the game. When you play a card to match something in play on the table, you capture those cards to be scored at the end of the hand. The object is to capture the most cards/points.

In Court of the Medici, each player owns half the deck to begin with. When you play a card to match, you remove cards from play never to be scored. The object is to have the most cards left in play when the game ends.

Put another way, in Scopa you're trying to get as many common cards *out of* play as you can. In Court of the Medici, you're trying to put as many of your cards *into* play as you can.

It’s quite a clever reversal really. I don’t know if any classic game uses a similar mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.