JL Meseguer
Spain
flag msg tools
Hi,

Yesterday, Ludevik and I finished this scenario with Vassal (it was my first game in Vassal and I loved the interface). I'll soon write a thorough review with the help of the log files, but some questions popped to my mind while playing:

1. Can a vehicle enter the hex containing the bunker? If yes, can it contest the control of the bunker?
The rules, and common sense, make it clear that you cannot control a bunker with a vehicle, but I'm asking here about contesting the control of it.

2. What happens if the bunker is destroyed? Does the hex still provide 6 VPs to its controller, or, being destroyed, it is no longer providing VPs at the end of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Noonan
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cogollo wrote:
1. Can a vehicle enter the hex containing the bunker? If yes, can it contest the control of the bunker?
The rules, and common sense, make it clear that you cannot control a bunker with a vehicle, but I'm asking here about contesting the control of it.

We played this recently and it was a tank that took the bunker by killing the units inside and occupying the hex. The vehicle can't enter the bunker or gain any benefits from the bunker but I don't see any reason they couldn't occupy the space for the VP.

cogollo wrote:
2. What happens if the bunker is destroyed? Does the hex still provide 6 VPs to its controller, or, being destroyed, it is no longer providing VPs at the end of the game?

I'd assume that it's still six VPs. If that weren't the case I'd think the Russians might destroy it them themselves rather than trying to defend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JL Meseguer
Spain
flag msg tools
Awfki wrote:

I'd assume that it's still six VPs. If that weren't the case I'd think the Russians might destroy it them themselves rather than trying to defend it.

That's the reason I'm asking. That would be a valid strategy if you think you'll surely lose its control, and actually that's what the Russians did: "burnt ground".

In our case, I was playing with the Germans and was considering whether it was easier or not to just destroy the bunker.

The question is what is important in the scenario: controlling the hex or controlling the bunker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cogollo wrote:

If you cannot control, you cannot contest control.

Quote:

The points are awarded for controlling the hex, not the bunker, so yes, the hex still provides 6 VPs even if the bunker is destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick DeGeest
United States
Fort Pierce
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cogollo wrote:

Yes to both questions. This is from 2.4 of the rulebook:

If both opponents have units in the same hex, it is contested and nobody controls it for VP purposes.

And from The Bunker Firefight:

6VPs - Control bunker hex 3-G15 at the end of the game.

The goal is for control of the hex, not the bunker itself. So, you can have Russian infantry units inside the bunker with German tanks outside in the same hex and it will be contested.

cogollo wrote:

The same as above. As long as you control the hex you get the victory points, with or without the bunker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pdegeest wrote:
cogollo wrote:

Yes to both questions. This is from 2.4 of the rulebook...

Except that the firefight text specifically forbids tanks from entering the hex (look in the Soviet set up box.) Only infantry can take the hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick DeGeest
United States
Fort Pierce
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
pdegeest wrote:
cogollo wrote:

Yes to both questions. This is from 2.4 of the rulebook...

Except that the firefight text specifically forbids tanks from entering the hex (look in the Soviet set up box.) Only infantry can take the hex.

Ha! Guess I missed that part! It looks like we played this one wrong. I'm going to have to amend my firefight report to show a 26-5 Russian victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.