United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Bambi, Bambi, Bambi.

Even though I saw this movie many times as a kid, I didn't remember much about it. I remembered Thumper, the skunk (Flower!), and Bambi's mom getting shot. (Oh yeah, this review has spoilers. Sorry for all you folks who haven't seen this one yet.) So why didn't more of it stay with me?

As the film opened, I was immediately wowed by the backgrounds. After Dumbo's simplistic (and that's being kind) animation, the very first scenes of lush forest were very impressive. It was also immediately apparent that Disney had begun to employ some type of layered cell effect, where "nearby" layers of forest would scroll past the camera more quickly. I can't tell you how much this improved the ambience and made you feel like you were in the forest.

The movie opens with some very standard "life is a bowl of cherries here in the wild" Disney-style celebration. All the creatures, great and small, dance and sing together in happiness and joy. Suddenly, word spreads around that the new Forest Prince has been born, and everyone goes running to meet him!

The animals cheer, dance and sing a little more, and then we follow Bambi around as he learns to walk, befriends Thumper, says his first words, meets a girl, learns about snow. The first half hour is really just "Bambi's First X", isn't that cute, wash-rinse-repeat.

And oh my, it is certainly cute. I was suffering from adorable woodland creature overload after about 10 minutes. They pull out ALL the stops, every baby has a head as big as it's body and eyeballs half as big as its head. Everything laughs and dances constantly. What child wouldn't instantly fall in love?

So we've been saturated in nothing but sweetness and cuddles for half an hour, then all of a sudden everthing is covered in snow, Bambi is starving, and when they finally find some grass, something goes wrong. "Run!" Bambi's mother says. "Run and don't stop!" He does, she dies, and he doesn't understand what's going on. After calling her name for a while, Pop shows up and says Mom won't be around anymore, so he'll be taking care of Bambi from now on.

At this point I found myself strangely unaffected. I surely remembered this scene from my youth, but I didn't get that sick feeling I'd gotten when the sad scene in Dumbo was coming up. I didn't get that heart-rending sorrow that I got watching Dumbo cry. Bambi cries too (kinda, he sheds a single tear before his father tells him to man up), but I didn't feel like I needed to cry with him. Why not?

I think it's because the viewer hasn't really been given any characterization at all this time around. Yes, Bambi is cute, and we don't want bad things to happen to him (unless we're sadistic), but we haven't had any time to learn who he is or what he is like. When his mother dies, I just felt like when I see someone hitting their dog or yelling at their kid: vaguely disappointed that people are mean, but not really attached to the situation.

Another problem is Bambi's father. This is the second time he's appeared as a deus ex machina to force the characters into doing something they have no motivation to do otherwise. And he does it twice more before the movie is over. In fact, the only reason Bambi's father ever appears is to tell Bambi to do something.

Anyways, Bambis Sr and Jr trot off into the forest. Fade out, fade in; and everyone's waking up for spring. It's just like the scene from a half-hour ago, in fact. Everyone is dancing, singing, eating and... well... the other thing animals like to do for fun. Bambi, Thumper and Flower get a quick lesson in the birds and the bees from Friend Owl.

Hey, here's another weird thing, everyone in the forest calls everyone else "Friend So-and-so". Except for Bambi's dad, who is the "Great Prince Of The Forest". Nobody eats anybody else, even if you think they would. (Friend Owl leaves the chipmunks and mice alone, for instance), In other words, everyone seems to be living a utopian life, providing according to his ability and taking according to his needs. I'm just saying, not too weird in 1942, but in hindsight it feels kooky.

Anyways, after the sex ed, all three pals declare "not me!" and are promptly seduced by females of their respective species. My favorite thing about this part was that Thumper appears to be a bit of a chubby chaser:

Bambi's scene is the strangest though. He meets Faline again and does a little flirting, until her old boyfriend shows up and starts a fight. Not to worry! Bambi's kickass dad must have been teaching him buck-fu in the off-season, because Bambi mops the floor with this yahoo, and throws him off a cliff.

Wait, what?

It's ok kids, all that mist will break his fall!

Now Bambi's blood is really up, so he and Faline go off to make babies, but then they get attacked by Man again and are seperated. Bambi takes a bullet (yes really! I didn't remember that either!), and he looks done-for... until Dad shows up again! Perhaps it's a hallucination of Dad this time, brought on by loss of blood. He looks kind of purple in this scene. Either way, Dad/Hemorrhage Induced Vision tells Bambi that there's a forest fire coming, and he better run. So he does. And, he's safe. I guess. Everyone just runs offscreen, and the scene fades out.

And then it's next year, Faline has had two of her own fawns, and Comrade Friend Owl rouses the village to come see. Up on the cliff, Bambi stands next to Dad, looking over their burg with pride. The End!

Everything seemed rather soulless. That sounds like I'm knocking it harder than I mean to, because it wasn't awful. I find myself wanting to say "nothing happened to the characters", but I can't, because things certainly did happen to them. It's just that they didn't happen for any plot-ish reason; and I didn't particularly care that they happened, I was just mildly interested. It felt more like a nature documentary then a fictional film.

I think it's probably totally different for children. When you're a kid, you don't care about motivations and character traits and stuff. You identify with Bambi because he's little, like you. You like to look at pretty pictures and cute animals. And that's totally OK, but I think it's the reason I didn't remember anything about this movie after 25 years, whereas I can remember EVERYTHING about Winnie The Pooh.

I also feel the need to mention the multiple similarities to The Lion King that kept cropping up. Granted, it's been 15ish years since I saw THAT movie now, but several of the scenes appear to be pretty direct recreations of elements from Bambi. The "birth of a prince" scene is one, and the "your father is the majestic lord of the wild" is another. Not huge, just interesting enought that I thought I'd mention it.

Rating:
Animation: Stunningly gorgeous. Lush, multilayered backgrounds that put CGI to shame.
Music: Not much. No "Disney songs" to speak of, just two springtime themes, only one with words.
Other: Beautiful, but boring (probably just for grownups).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I do recall Bambi as being kind boring. I never watched it when I was a kid, it wasn't until I was older and therefore just never really got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice read. I hope this is the first in a series of 'capAp' tears into kids films.

I don't think I've ever actually seen Bambi, so I'm glad you summed it up for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! It's the third actually, but I'm not really 'tearing into them', just checking them out from an adult non-parent's POV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting point about Lion King similarities. A parent dying partway into the movie is another similarity.

The main difference between the two movies is probably that Bambi lacks any real climax or resolution, and there's not actually many "characters" in the movie (even the main antagonist is just the vague "hunters").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought it for my daughter when the DVD came out a few years ago and was excited to see it since I was probably 2 or 3 when I saw it myself.

Yeah, my first impression was that it was slow and boring. No spark at all. Thumper adds interest, but really, the movie?????

When you see the special features, you see how detailed Walt was about this movie, focusing on the lighting, look, and mood music much more than the actual plot/story.

It is meant to be a visual and musical feast more than an engaging story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Nice review. Keep it up, I'm enjoying them very much.

I saw this movie in the theater when I was young and I remember being a little upset and worried during the whole Bambi's mom scene, but I can't remember a single other thing about the movie.

By the way, the effect that you're talking about in the beginning is called parallax.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
CapAp wrote:
As the film opened, I was immediately wowed by the backgrounds. After Dumbo's simplistic (and that's being kind) animation,

C'mon, Dumbo had the crows! That's good old fashioned family racism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if Bambi didn't do it for you then you might just love

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. You never feel much connection to what's going on in Bambi, probably because it jumps around so much and it doesn't linger on any suffering. Parts are kind of funny, but it was never one of my favorites as a kid and I really only watched it when one of my siblings did. I do remember watching a mini documentary about the different effects and impressive gamut of colors used in the movie, not to mention all of the animals and documentary footage that hung around so they could make the movements look natural; pretty impressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Myers
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
gameguythinks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:

Anyways, after the sex ed, all three pals declare "not me!" and are promptly seduced by females of their respective species. My favorite thing about this part was that Thumper appears to be a bit of a chubby chaser:

Thumper's got the right idea.

CapAp wrote:
Bambi's scene is the strangest though. He meets Faline again and does a little flirting, until her old boyfriend shows up and starts a fight. Not to worry! Bambi's kickass dad must have been teaching him buck-fu in the off-season, because Bambi mops the floor with this yahoo, and throws him off a cliff.

Wait, what?

Wow, I obviously don't remember this movie at all.

For the most part, the Disney I've let my kids watch has been limited to stuff after Little Mermaid. We've watched some of the earlier films, but not too many.

I remember seeing a documentary on Bambi that talked about how they painted the backgrounds on different layers of glass to get those beautiful effects.

Great review, John. Look forward to more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
When you see the special features, you see how detailed Walt was about this movie, focusing on the lighting, look, and mood music much more than the actual plot/story.

Well, dangit, I kinda wish we'd watched these now. I saw the button on the menu, but it had a time code of "1:10:52" next to it, and I exclaimed "that's longer than the movie was! I can't take another hour of Bambi!"

It makes sense though, and the visuals certainly benefitted from the extra attention.

Next up are Saludos Amigos! and The Three Caballeros, a pair of wartime cartoons featuring Donald Duck in latin america. I have never seen these, and to be honest I don't really have too much desire to see them, but they're technically in the Disney Animated Classics Canon, so I'm gonna.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:

Well, dangit, I kinda wish we'd watched these now. I saw the button on the menu, but it had a time code of "1:10:52" next to it, and I exclaimed "that's longer than the movie was! I can't take another hour of Bambi!"

It makes sense though, and the visuals certainly benefitted from the extra attention.

Next up are Saludos Amigos! and The Three Caballeros, a pair of wartime cartoons featuring Donald Duck in latin america. I have never seen these, and to be honest I don't really have too much desire to see them, but they're technically in the Disney Animated Classics Canon, so I'm gonna.

Out of curiosity, is there any reason that you skipped Snow White? Did I miss something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Netflix doesn't have it (I'm assuming people have lost/stolen their discs). Someday I will actually go to a store and rent it. Maybe. (I don't know how long it's been since I've been in a Blockbuster.)

Also, I skipped Fantasia because I plan to watch it back-to-back with Fantasia 2000.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Song of the South figure in your repetoire to see? I'd love an opinion on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None of the live action/animation hybrids (Song of the South, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, etc) are in the "Animated Classics" canon, so I wasn't going to bother with them. My recollection is that they're all really subpar movies anyways, (that's how I remember most Disney live-action stuff at least).

That being said, if I could get an unedited Song of the South, I'd most CERTAINLY review it. The problem is that Disney's never released it here in America because they're afraid of the backlash.

I could probably look for a foreign torrent or something, I suppose...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we get a review of Bambi Meets Godzilla too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
My favorite part of the book Bambi, which did not make it into the film, is the leaves talking. They are about to fall, and are talking about it. In the sequel, the trees talk.

There is a lot of dying in both books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
None of the live action/animation hybrids (Song of the South, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, etc) are in the "Animated Classics" canon, so I wasn't going to bother with them. My recollection is that they're all really subpar movies anyways, (that's how I remember most Disney live-action stuff at least).

Don't you dare speak bad about Pete's Dragon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
My recollection of Bedknobs and Broomsticks was that it was pretty damn cool. But I was a kid last time I saw it.

Speaking of Pete's Dragon, my wife saw that with the kids a few months back and thought it was weird with the imaginary/invisible dragon and singing etc. Yet, when I compared it to a favorite of hers, Marry Poppins, she didn't have a good answer why they were different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Celinashope wrote:
My favorite part of the book Bambi, which did not make it into the film, is the leaves talking. They are about to fall, and are talking about it. In the sequel, the trees talk.

There is a lot of dying in both books.

Wow, that really sounds awesome to me.

It reminds me too, I forgot to mention the pheasant that gets killed in the movie.

In the scene where the hunters are coming, all the pheasants are hiding in the brush. One pheasant is very scared and starts to freak out. "They're coming!" she cries. "Calm down" the other pheasants tell her. "Just stay calm and we'll be alright." But she can't do it. The closer they come, the more agitated she gets, and her eyes start to get wild, and eventually she bugs out and flies into the air screaming in horror. BLAM, a hunter shoots her and we see her dead body fall to the ground. All the other pheasants scatter.

To me, this was infinitely more horrifying than Bambi's mother dying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:
My recollection of Bedknobs and Broomsticks was that it was pretty damn cool. But I was a kid last time I saw it.

Speaking of Pete's Dragon, my wife saw that with the kids a few months back and thought it was weird with the imaginary/invisible dragon and singing etc. Yet, when I compared it to a favorite of hers, Marry Poppins, she didn't have a good answer why they were different.

Pete's Dragon was just plain weird. We tried so hard to make it all the way through but the movie just dragged and dragged and the characters were not either a)memorable nor b)did they warrant sympathy from the watchers.

Mary Poppins was well presented and you didn't really have to wonder where the heck they were going with any of the hooks in the movie. The music was excellent, the make-up was the finest I've seen in a long while... Dick Van Dyke was amazing for all he played.

I hate to say it but really, really, really don't waste yer time on Pete's Dragon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Bedknobs and Broomsticks may not be the best Disney movie ever, but I think it's worth watching if you've never seen it.

"I'm not a Nazi, I'm a British officer!"
"That's what you'd say if you was a Nazi!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri Balofsky
Israel
Tel Mond
HaSharon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Bedknobs and Broomsticks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BAMBI MOLESTERS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.