Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Jamrog
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello fellow BGGers, I come to you all with another question. Power grid has gone over very very well in my gaming group, I'm looking for the next step after it. We really enjoy the simple rules yet deep play. The supply/demand mechanic is awesome and we love it. The time of ~90 min to 2 hours is also fine. So the big question is what economic type game should I get next, these are a few of the ones I was thinking about, any other ideas are greatly appreciated too..

Automobile
Brass
Steam

Thanks for the help!
Staufman
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby."
badge
"If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead."
mbmbmbmbmb
So you're done with Power Grid, then? Wore it out? Exhausted all its possibilities? Just getting so stale that you now need another game to replace it--or more than one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought Brass, but haven't jumped into the rules just yet. I have read here that new players may take 3-4 hours to get through the first game, but I'm still looking forward to trying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
unkle
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a huge Power Grid fan, I think Automobile is probably what has come closest to the "Funken Experience".

Accomodates 3-5 players (though 3 is out of question for me), plays in ~2h, and is also about jockeying for turn order on 3 tracks (roles/executive action/plants), with some twists. Awsome game, completely different in its mechanism from PG but also so close in the feeling of the game. Neither more difficult nor simpler, different but the same wow

I have only 4plays of the game but am really looking forward for more. Much more... (and a new edition of course shake )

As a short side note, I find Steam much more dry than Automobile. And I am not really looking for more plays of it. It is more "abstract" to me than Automobile, where theme is at premium I think. Really really awsome game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kito Impsta
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Ah! Die Macher, ja!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Staufman wrote:
Hello fellow BGGers, I come to you all with another question. Power grid has gone over very very well in my gaming group, I'm looking for the next step after it. We really enjoy the simple rules yet deep play. The supply/demand mechanic is awesome and we love it. The time of ~90 min to 2 hours is also fine. So the big question is what economic type game should I get next, these are a few of the ones I was thinking about, any other ideas are greatly appreciated too..

Automobile
Brass
Steam

Thanks for the help!
Staufman

Automobile is a good call, although you may have to wait for the reprinted version (from Mayfair, IIRC).

Also ... Take a look at the extra boards for Power Grid.

They're not just new maps, they all have little changes to the rules that can make them a little different.

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:

Also ... Take a look at the extra boards for Power Grid.

They're not just new maps, they all have little changes to the rules that can make them a little different.

N.

thumbsup for expansion maps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Jamrog
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, we aren't DONE with Power Grid, just something else we can play to mix it up every once and a while.

We have played on a few other maps, whic were great, I think we are looking for a different experience though, but still in the economic style.

Thanks for the recommendations! Keep them coming, are there any other games I should have on my radar too?

Staufman
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Staufman wrote:
Thanks for the recommendations! Keep them coming, are there any other games I should have on my radar too?

Staufman

Keep an eye out for the new printing of Tinners' Trail, similar and a little simpler than Automobile.

Also ... Have a look at Wealth of Nations, or maybe even Planet Steam if money is no object

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ditto the calls for Automobile. Great economic game. Another that has not be commented about yet is Chicago Express. It has some auctions, route building, a bit of cooperation, and a bit of screwage. Most Martin Wallace games have a heavy economic bent to them so you won't go wrong with most of them. It depends on what theme you particularly like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Staufman wrote:
I think we are looking for a different experience though, but still in the economic style.

Staufman

Some of the economic games I enjoy that aren't on your owned list:

Acquire - in my top 3 Union Pacific is also good, a train style version of Acquire.
Cuba is also in my top 5
Le Havre - I like more than Agricola
Notre Dame - it's listed as an economic game here, not sure if it fits that bill, but a very good game
The Pillars of the Earth and Stone Age are sort of similar, but they are different enough from each other - both very good games
Vegas Showdown - if you can look past the paper player mats, this is an awesome game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Staufman wrote:
So the big question is what economic type game should I get next, these are a few of the ones I was thinking about, any other ideas are greatly appreciated too..

Automobile
Brass
Steam

Check out this thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/422676

He was looking for recommendations between these three as well as Chicago Express and Container. Lots of helpful replies and other ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Brass and Steam are solid games.

I'd suggest you look into The Princes of Florence

Also, if you haven't tried these, they may help keep Power Grid fresh for your group:
Power Grid: China/Korea
Power Grid: Benelux/Central Europe
Power Grid: France/Italy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
I'll second The Princes of Florence and also add in Container
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Staufman wrote:

Automobile
Brass
Steam

You do not have to look any further and indeed you didn't even need to make a thread about it. You are right on the money. Stop reading this and go buy all three. They are the clear and obvious choices.

As expected, some people come into these thread and just throw out the name of games they like instead of addressing the OP's needs. Ignore those and stick with what you listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can never go wrong with Puerto Rico.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Staufman wrote:
Yeah, we aren't DONE with Power Grid, just something else we can play to mix it up every once and a while.

We have played on a few other maps, whic were great, I think we are looking for a different experience though, but still in the economic style.

Staufman

The china map especially makes for a very different game with the fixed power plant market. Just the fact that there is one fewer plant available than players available each round (no restocking the plant market between auctions only at end of round). The first round there is exactly one plant per player, so this means someone will have to buy the #6 garbage plant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmartinc wrote:
Staufman wrote:

Staufman

The china map especially makes for a very different game with the fixed power plant market. Just the fact that there is one fewer plant available than players available each round (no restocking the plant market between auctions only at end of round). The first round there is exactly one plant per player, so this means someone will have to buy the #6 garbage plant

That is true, but the #6 is not as bad as it usually is when you consider that Coal and Oil cost 5 at the start, so most of the Coal/Oil plants will cost more to fuel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Trumbull
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of good recommendations above.

I'll second Planet Steam, Brass, Acquire & The Princes of Florence.

Brief descriptions:

Planet Steam is extremely economic. Production, expenditures, plots to claim, 4 types of goods to produce.

Brass is very tight and economic. Loans, income, connections, Martin Wallace.

Acquire is more stock market-esque. Shares, expansion, visual arrangement/organization/area/spatial.

Princes is very different - less economic. Auctions, limited actions, achieving goals, spatial component.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Flowood
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot suggest Age of Steam/Steam enough. Great games with tons of replayability and expansion maps that are actually worth picking up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Notre Dame feels like a good follow up to me.

Simple but deep, similar feel of choices to power grid. A little shorter.

You might want to consider it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
rmartinc wrote:
Staufman wrote:

Staufman

That is true, but the #6 is not as bad as it usually is when you consider that Coal and Oil cost 5 at the start, so most of the Coal/Oil plants will cost more to fuel.

True, but that just further demonstrates how the market is different
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Age of Steam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo M. CorrĂȘa
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
MG
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Stone Age : easy to teach, fun to play and a 100% acception at any kind of public. You will not go wrong with this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to mention that while Stone Age has been mentioned twice above, it is not what you are looking for. I love the game, but I would not call it an economic game. Not similiar to Power Grid, not at all.

Haven't played the games you mention though, so I can't help you there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.