Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Loc Nguyen
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2009/07/15/chairman-of...

I noticed this a couple of months ago as probaly many of you probaly did. I'd write $30 instead of $15 though. There's no mention of BGG or euros/wargames but I'm certain the same concept applies that many families don't want to spend alot to go out to eat and watch a movie at the theater.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M T
Belgium
Kessel-Lo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

recession?
what recession?
;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get why Hasbro doesn't want to get in the market of producing Euros or specialty games. Maybe it is too small time for them. Maybe producing 3000 games is not a wise investment when they can produce 100,000 of a game and sell them in Walmarts and Targets across the country. I guess I can see that. But it seems they'd have the resources already in place to do what RGG or Mayfair or Z-Man is doing and make a little profit and build their name. AT LEAST, re-print some of those older OOP games. Have they seen the price SW: Queen's Gambit is fetching?

I think people (the general public) are ready to take the step from Monopoly and Clue into some better games but when you go to Walmart and browse the board game aisle, you don't have ANY options for something smarter or different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well keep in mind that Hasbro is WOTC. Magic sales and tournaments have been gaining as well (there is a lot of money cards in the next set released on Friday)!

We have been exposing non-gamers to games a lot more frequently, as small diner parties and such are a nice substitution to going out to a movie and diner and paying five times as much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
evan fitzgerald
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kendahlj wrote:
But it seems they'd have the resources already in place to do what RGG or Mayfair or Z-Man is doing and make a little profit and build their name.
Not sure I would agree. But I could see the infrastructure to sell outside of the big box stores vastly different than hitting the more niche markets and stores. Why add risk to their business for what appears to be a small payoff?

kendahlj wrote:
I think people (the general public) are ready to take the step from Monopoly and Clue into some better games but when you go to Walmart and browse the board game aisle, you don't have ANY options for something smarter or different.
Your belief in the American populous far exceed mine.

My parents played bridge in college. The kids now play Poker...or Euchre. The notion of learning bridge is foreign and almost laughable. At best you will be able to bleed into the market with fast play abstracts like ingenious and, of course, Blokus...but a serious Euro with a theme? No chance IMO...unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah with rare exceptions, most board games are lucky to sell 2,000 copies and even when they sell 10,000 to Hasbro that is just peanuts. Remember it is corporate America. If they don't think they can sell 500,000 units plus constantly they are not usually interested.

This is why I dislike big corporations....because they really can't risk being innovative or they sink like the Titanic. They have to stick to the proven basics. Not saying anyone liked it but the Aztek is an example of a company trying something new and it absolutely made Pontiac loose their shirt.

If nothing else the recession will make most big corporations go into a shell and not risk anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Re-release Small World as "Risk: But Better"

I could see Small World taking off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
kendahlj wrote:

I don't think most people ARE ready for these games. Remember, gamers in general are a more educated, better read lot of people over the Average American. And most gamers aren't ready for wargames.

Joe Six-Pack doesn't want to strain himself thinking when he's playing a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
kendahlj wrote:

I don't think most people ARE ready for these games. Remember, gamers in general are a more educated, better read lot of people over the Average American. And most gamers aren't ready for wargames.

Joe Six-Pack doesn't want to strain himself thinking when he's playing a game.

Ahhh Joe Six-Pack, great fella that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.