Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Ferguson
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So.. I got on my computer after a sleepless night. We have a new baby in the house and I volunteer to take the 3am feeding.

I had made a general comment about Small World and that I didn't want to buy Small World because of the pentagrams in the artwork.

I thought it was an interesting comment, but strangely, I guess I offended people by being "offended" by the symbology. By the way, I even explained that I understood that symbols have multiple meanings. I think I was clearly saying that I was personally offended. I simply don't feel like explaining the multiple meanings to a 6-year old. And my wife wouldn't probably touch the game. Maybe when my daughter is older, I'll work toward that along with "swastikas" and "confederate flags."

After less than 12 hours, that thread was shut down because people were calling me a "troll." I am not. It was simply a comment and I posted it not thinking much about it. I'll post these types of things here from now on.

Well, I removed my general comment because it caused problems and offended people. Somehow, that seems ironic doesn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You were called a troll because there was no point to that post or to this one. If you were offended by a simple design, great. But that's not what you posted; you called Days of Wonder to task for doing something wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want to make sure I have it straight: you're offended by the complaints of people who were offended by the complaints of a guy who was offended by a geometrical drawing?

Yeah, that goes in RSP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems self-congratulatory as does this, your newest endeavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Ferguson
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never said Days of Wonder did anything wrong. I simply said I would not buy their product because I did not like the symbology. Their games are usually family friendly and I usually purchase them. They make some of the best games out there.

This one, however, crossed my personal barrier and I made a comment about it. Everything I have done is perfectly above the line. I did not expect such a heated response. It came as a surprise. If I had posted it to purposely create a commotion, I could be called a "troll."

Basically, I assumed others might want to know about the symbol before they purchased it. This is how capitalism and a free society work together.

Therefore, there was a point. That "point" was just not intended for a person who doesn't care about pentagrams.

As I said, the original statements were removed because I had obviously offended people. And that's called irony.

If a farm is spraying their produce with toxins that certain people may be allergic to, it's helpful to know. What's the difference? I would post that as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Do you think that those people offended by your post could be worried that you are giving your children a bad example, showing them that narrow-minded attitudes are better than open discussion, that deciding on their behalf is better than let them assess the situation by themselves, and that geometrical symbols are dangerous in and by themselves?

That goes far beyond your individual choices.

Edit:

tanzania wrote:
If a farm is spraying their produce with toxins that certain people may be allergic to, it's helpful to know. What's the difference?

Just wanted to preserve this argument for posterity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Ferguson
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Self-congratulatory?" I understand what it means, but not how this applies to me.

I have corrected my mistake and placed my comments in the appropriate area. It just amazes me that I'm not allowed an opinion without being dragged through the coals. Herein lies a major problem with our American culture today. People don't understand that we are allowed to influence each other. In fact, the very nature of democracy and capitalism is based in influence. Many people won't buy a game because of violence or warfare, sexually explicit content or suggestion. They state these things in reviews because I've read them. Symbols are important and have great meaning. Different symbols can be offensive to different people. The pentagram is to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Ferguson
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My child is as protected as I deem necessary at this point in her young life. You seem to be saying that protecting my child is a "bad example." Are you a parent? As my child grows older, my wife and I will slowly address things that come up that are appropriate for her age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DarthXaos wrote:
I am now going to buy myself a copy of Small World for the sole reason that it has a pentagram in it, just to "stick it" to Christianity.

HAIL SATAN!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Satanism needs to step it up. You guys aren't killing nearly as many people as Christians are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tanzania wrote:
"Self-congratulatory?" I understand what it means, but not how this applies to me.

Yet here I am again. Talking about me!

Me! ME! MEEEE!!! Me! ME! MEEEE!!! Me! ME! MEEEE!!! Me! ME! MEEEE!!! Me! ME! MEEEE!!! Me! ME! MEEEE!!! Me! ME! MEEEE!!! Me! ME! MEEEE!!! Me! ME! MEEEE!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, all I do when I wake up to feed the baby at 3am is change shitty diapers...

HAIL SATAN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Ferguson
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And, as usual, the conversation degrades quickly into juvenile attacks. Therein lies yet another problem with our modern American culture--nobody can hold a decent conversation to actually help both sides gain a bit of wisdom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
tanzania wrote:
And, as usual, the conversation degrades quickly into juvenile attacks. Therein lies yet another problem with our modern American culture--nobody can hold a decent conversation to actually help both sides gain a bit of wisdom.

Word to the wise. Get off the Internet.

//Your welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm not getting it, but does the OPs daughter have some reason to automatically equate pentagram shapes with something so horrific that his/her young mind won't be able to comprehend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I "unfortunately" missed the orignigal thread, but let me take this moment to tell you how I would explain the star inside of a circle to my six year old daughter.

"Hey, look a pentagram. That's a star inside of a circle. Kind of neat looking, huh. Okay, your turn."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dispaminite wrote:
Maybe I'm not getting it, but does the OPs daughter have some reason to automatically equate pentagram shapes with something so horrific that his/her young mind won't be able to comprehend?

Yes. You don't get it because you are juvenile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tanzania wrote:
I never said Days of Wonder did anything wrong. I simply said I would not buy their product because I did not like the symbology.

Yes you did, look at the thread title. You did not simply state that.
tanzania wrote:
Everything I have done is perfectly above the line.

Deleting your original post so now one can call you to task for it and then claiming things about it that are no longer possible to prove is hardly above the line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Ferguson
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're probably correct, but for the fact that the majority of what I do now involves the internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, has "Small World Pentagrams and BGG Firestorms" been made into a movie yet? It sounds kick ass. I hope they get Dolph Lundgren to play the lead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
I "unfortunately" missed the orignigal thread, but let me take this moment to tell you how I would explain the star inside of a circle to my six year old daughter.

"Hey, look a pentagram. That's a star inside of a circle. Kind of neat looking, huh. Okay, your turn."

Actually, I think the design he didn't like is just a star.

I have no problem with anyone refusing to buy a game because of pentagrams; I certainly wouldn't let my kids near anything with a crucifix on it. But making 6+ paragraphs about it? Eehhhhhhhh..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
BoB3K wrote:

Actually, I think the design he didn't like is just a star.

I have no problem with anyone refusing to buy a game because of pentagrams; I certainly wouldn't let my kids near anything with a crucifix on it. But making 6+ paragraphs about it? Eehhhhhhhh..

And here I've been keeping my eye out for a game that lets us do crucifiction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tanzania wrote:

There was no degrading. The topic started right around a 3rd-grade level of intellect. Most people were just responding at the appropriate level. I personally have had to dumb down all of my posts to get them to the proper level. ...Because I am so awesome ...righteousness ...and kind of Elvis-y in a way. But not the fat old Elvis, no more of a Nicolas Cage impersonating Elvis kind of Elvis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Ferguson
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I could get the whole original thread moved or deleted I wouldn't really much care. Being offensive was not my intent.

Also, I think it's really odd that so many people keep calling a pentagram a simple "geometric shape." As if our world was not absolutely packed with symbolic meaning. We are not robots. Each word is just a bunch of shapes and symbols as well, yet for some reason people find reason to get very upset about words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
I certainly wouldn't let my kids near anything with a crucifix on it.

Do you have kids? I do, and I take them to a fairly nice day-care. It's run by a big nazarene church. Which is not a big deal--the day care is supposed to be mostly kind of secular. But I still have to put up with my kid bringing home a colored in cross at easter, and I've seen cleaning crew members walking around with black T-shirts with a picture of bleeding hands on the back. Walking around a day care with a picture of hands dripping blood. That's pretty bad, isn't it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.