Joe Maiz
United States
Palmyra
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey gang,
Another Wednesday night, another game night; this week I brought my copy of Risk2210 with me; since I received it at Christmas, I have not even had a chance to unwrap it and play. That changed last night…

Got to the game store, unwrapped the game and went thru the rules. When the other gamers arrived, one mentioned he played before and that it was his favorite version of Risk. 20 minutes later, we setup the board and started. Note: ‘Cmdr’ will be used for notation of Commander.

PLAYERS: 5 player setup of which 4 of us are new. To make the session report easy, I will stick with colors, but note the names here: Me (Yellow), John (Red), Pete(Black), Jeff(Blue), and Mike[?](Green). John was the veteran here, so I kept an eye on his actions.

GAME SETUP: Nuked spots: 1 in Africa (Djabooty?), 2 in N Siberia area, and one in Europe- none led to changing paths, just annoyances. Green won the placement roll and went to Australia; I went for S America, black into Europe while Red and Blue split N America; Blue then started to place 2 in Africa/ Asia. At the end of placements only Green had a conqured continent; the rest of us were happy with our 7-8 places. Black had most of Europe.

Turns 1: Red went first, and got most of N America; Black finished off Europe and Green consolidated in Australia. I took S America and went to the moon, getting the green zone. Blue, since getting kicked out of N America, consolidated in Asia and the mid east.

Turn 2: Green went first, got the moon Cmdr and went there; taking over the other 2 locations there; Black and Red did some sparing, and Red pushed into S America. Blue went into Africa and I was last, retaking S America and when trying to get more moon, a green Diplomat was played, say no attacks.

Turn 3-4: The two turns consisted of red and black going at it in N America, where more of the fighting was in Canada; Blue and Black, formed a non aggression pact and both having nuke cmdrs, used a nuke card on the moon, killing the green space cmdr and ½ my invasion force. Green went before me again, took over all but one area on the moon. I, again, tried to retake the moon, but bad rolls and space mines left me with 12 troops in Brazil waiting for a last turn invasion (since blue had 7 troops and 2 Cmdrs on N Africa). Turn 4, the 1st Naval cmdr came out, red taking the west coast and blue taking the Indian ocean areas. At this point, Green had almost 20 areas, and the rest of us were still under 10.

Turn 5- I bid for last and won it; Having little for troops and cards, I decided to wait knowing that I could bust out with all of my guys; unfortunately, I did not have a space card that would allow me to come down from the moon, but since most of it was single troops up there for green army, it didn’t matter that much. Green went 1st; taking over the moon, he used too many troops us there in one zone; this resulted in a large force in one zone and the rest of his areas with 2-3s back on Earth. Red went 2nd, retaking all of N America but Greenland; he then push into Asia from Alaska, leaving the trail of 1s behind him; Black went 3rd, attacking into N America, cutting across the top and into asia cleaned up this trail; Blue went 4th: he took over all of Asia, except the southeast area (siam?) allowing him control of Africa, the Indian Ocean and most of Asia. I went last; I bought the Naval cmdr, took over the other water locations in Asia and the pacific, then went to the moon, and needing to beat out blues total count, had a strike force for Africa; he played another pesky ‘no you cant attack me’ card, and forced me to send all my troops into space; I retook the moon (only in 2210 can you own the moon ) and owned all but two zones when I ran out of troops.

Blue won- 21; Green 18, yellow- 17; black and red were lower teens. 2 green cards were played end game, giving more points to Green and Blue. (6 and 3 respectively).

Notes about the game:
* Don’t buy a cmdr on turn one, unless you have a 3-4 player game; just get cards for diplomat and land; wait till turn two when you have more land areas to get another more energy and another cmdr.
* Using cards to get a spaceport instead of buying one for 4 energy- better investment.
* learn the card deck- look at the cmdr cards before the game to see what you can get with each one. It will help making decisions easier.
* Buy one diplomat card every turn. Park your diplomat at your space port and defend it well.

edits: spelling and revised sections
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevan sumner
Canada
Brandon
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Join us in June for Manitoba's longest-running game convention! www.prairiecon.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No naval commanders until turn 4 in a 5-player game?! After someone jumps to the moon, the naval territories are usually the next to go in most games that I play. Free expansion as opposed to land combat, plus you have a chance at the "hidden energy" naval cards that give you a bonus four energy - a huge advantage in the early game.

I need to dust off this game. It has always been my favourite Risk variant, but I haven't played it in a couple of years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hugo
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played a handful of times, but I still have trouble balancing when to buy certain commanders (when to go moon or naval). Seems like every game I've played so far I've purchased my naval commander on the first turn.... I've won one out of 4 plays. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's very interesting. I disagree with your comments about the commanders though. I *love* the free expansion of the early game, and usually go after it very aggressively. Depending on my situation, I will always buy Sea or Moon on first turn and take over a 2-army area.

I play uber-aggressive in an attempt to force my opponents into dealing with me instead of working on their own areas. Usually they won't be able to stop me in every area, so I'll still get some continent bonuses regardless, and eventually it snowballs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Hehe... It's more fun if you don't do the turn limit thing. Of course this makes the "colony influence" cards useless, but that's just par for the course really.

Hehe it gets rid of that pesky "lst turn" syndrome.

Hehe... Maybe use a system where you roll a dice at the end of each turn to see if the game's over yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Baldin
Brazil
flag msg tools
I always buy a Naval Cmdr at first round. When I'm setting my army, I chose territories linked to water colonies, than I try to keep it safe. T try to balance land and water. It's extra energy for next round, when I buy the nuke. Last four times I used this strategy, I won. I dont care about the moon til the last round. I always buy nuke cards from second round on and take land cards buy conquering territories. Balancing this way, I'm always agressive enough and usually the others players are powerless to attack after some nuke act. If I have enough defense, I go to moon in the last turn to get extra points.

I must admit: my wife hates my game... she always thinks it is personal... hehehe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
That does sound very efficient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One game all I did was buy nuke cards the entire game until the deck was gone. I made sure I went last and played armagedon card and nuked everyone to pieces. I then directed my army to give myself lead point to win the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.