Dune» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A boy's fate... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to make my DUNE game, with the material present here on the BGG, since February '09, but only now, in July, I was able to complete it.

Yesterday evening we gathered to play. It was around 9:30 pm and the game went on until 2 am. We played with Jeff's rules you can find on this site http://www.starbasejeff.com/dune_main.asp.
We were five, only the Bene Gesserit Faction didn't play.

A beginning is a very delicate time. Know then, that it is the year 10191. The known universe is ruled by the Padishah Emperor Shaddam the Fourth. In this time, the most precious substance in the universe is the spice Melange. The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel. The Spacing Guild and its navigators, who the spice has mutated over 4000 years, use the orange spice gas, which gives them the ability to fold space. That is, travel to any part of the universe without moving. Oh, yes. I forgot to tell you. The spice exists on only one planet in the entire universe. A desolate, dry planet with vast deserts. Hidden away within the rocks of these deserts are a people known as the Fremen, who have long held a prophecy that a man would come, a messiah, who would lead them to true freedom. The planet is Arrakis, also known as Dune.

First Turns: 1-3
The Harkonnen and the Atreides bid all their spice on Treachery cards, just to avoid the other getting the cards, it was effective, because the others got none.
Spice blew on the Red Chasm, the Emperor landed with all of his 5 Sardauker Legions to acquire even more spice.

Spice blew on the Old Gap, and was retrieved by a large Atreides force. But Arraken was still defended by an appreciable force of the House from the watery Caladan.

At night the desert is even more profound. On the balcony of the Regal Palace of Arraken a father and his son meet:
Duke Leto Atreides: I'll miss the sea, but a person needs new experiences. They jar something deep inside, allowing him to grow. Without change something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken.
The son is moved by those words. Something is stirring deep in his chest. It is telling him that those moments of peace will soon end. And with those, his former self...

At the same time, the Fremen in the Broken Land attacked the Old Gap, and the Guild seized the opportunity to send a large force in Arraken.
Because of a sabotage from an inside conspiracy (the Atreides played a Karama card to make the inter-planet shipping power of the Guild naught), the fleet of the Guild wasn't in any shape for the landing, making the invasion impossible.
The battle of the Old Gap saw the Atreides victorious and even if they had fought one against the other, Atreides and the Fremen had made a brief but very important contact, the two Factions forged a bond that would endure the hardships to come.
Tell me of your homeworld, Usul...

But things could only get worse. The Harkonnen besieged and destroyed the Atreides forces in Arraken. Before the battle the Baron Vladimir Harkonnen was heard saying: "My family has hated the Atreides for centuries. They have been the sand in our eyes, the stink at our meals, these arrogant Atreides, always standing in our way. I want Leto to appreciate the beauty of what I've done to him. I want him to know that I, Baron Vladimir Harkonnen, am the instrument of his family's demise. The extinction of House Atreides and the glorious ascension of House Harkonnen."
The Atreides had been nearly annihilated.

Seizing an ornithopter, a young boy, the heir of the Atreides House, managed to escape the slaughter, riding directly in the approaching tempest. The tempests of Dune are fearsome things to face, it is said that the sand can tear away a man's skin and flesh, and leave very polished bones.
This may have thought the boy as he plunged in the dark waves of sand...
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when my fear is gone I will turn and face fear's path, and only I will remain...

Turns 4-7
The Emperor fearing the growing power of the Harkonnen planned to seize Arraken and with the ornithopters rejoin with the main body of his Sardaukar, now in rocky crevices of the Pasty Mesa. So he summoned all his remaining forces and plunged on Arraken and on very surprised Harkonnen. The battle, a mighty one, was fought in every street of the Capital, the dagger and the shields collided, and much water was spilled. The Harkonnen were wiped out. Secret messages were deciphered and it became clear that all the other Emperor's leaders were traitors to the Harkonnen. The only one who had participated in the battle, General Caid, had been double checked by the Emperor's spies.

The Baron cried: "So let the emperor mock house Harkonenn, Call us swine. Because in the end his throne will be mine."

But the Storm at the time had passed over the Shield Wall and still had to arrive to Arraken, so the Sardaukers were not able to join forces in the Capital even with the fast ornithopters at their disposal, so they moved to Tueks Sietch were the Guild was surprised. But this time the Space Fleet was working, like clockwork. The Guild summoned all of its fighting strength in the battle. The Guild emerged victorious, but 3/4 of its armies were in the tanks.

In the mean while the remnants on Atreides were sustained by the coin of the Emperor, and something else had emerged from the dunes...
Paul Atreides: Father... father, the sleeper has awakened!

The Atreides attacked the Harkonnen in Carthag but with a cunning manoeuvre the Harkonnen ignored the Atreides and attacked the Emperor's forces in Arraken! Two unknown commanders fought and spilled their water on the streets of the Capital. The Harkonnen emerged victorious, the Emperor had been utterly wiped out, all his precious spice spent to the now new Atreides, the Emperor was heard screaming: "Bring in that floating fat man, the Baron!", but no one would dare to obey this order.

Turn 8-10
The Atreides attacked Arraken, where the Harkonnen were waiting them in numbers. A man no one knew, seemed to talk at the heart of the green clad Atreides just before the decisive action of the battle. Those who lived that day remember those words like if they were burned deep in their souls: "Some thoughts have a certain sound, that being the equivalent to a form. Through sound and motion, you will be able to paralyze nerves, shatter bones, set fires, suffocate an enemy or burst his organs. We will kill until no Harkonnen breathes Arakeen air.".
Rivers of water flowed in the streets of a City that looked like a mass grave. Even the Harkonnen had been finally wiped out.

The Fremen sensing the new shifts of power, blew the Shield Wall.
This was done way before the Storm would hit the now undefended Arraken and Cartag, in respect of the Atreides and their young leader that had shown to know the ways of the desert people as if they were his own.

Many a Fremen prayed: "Bless the maker and his water, bless the coming and going of him, may his passing cleanse the world.".

Would the Atreides and the Fremen fight for the control of the Spice, for the control of Dune and the Universe. Or would a worm, from the deep of the desert, come to strengthen their ties?

History is written on the sands of Arrakis. A chapter has ended, swept away by the whirlwind. One door has closed, but another has opened. And on the other side... our future...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Todd
United Kingdom
Manchester
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report.

What happened at the end? Is there more to come?

Also, the inevitable rules issue:

Quote:
(the Atreides played a Karama card to make the inter-planet shipping power of the Guild naught),

If you're saying the Atreides played Karama to block the Guild shipment, that's wrong. That's not one of the many things you can do with a Karama card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you're saying the Atreides played Karama to block the Guild shipment, that's wrong. That's not one of the many things you can do with a Karama card.

You are correct. At the time we didn't know. So the session went on as I wrote.
We really played for the narrative and the experience of it, more than anything else.

Despite the great fun we were having, it was too late and we had to end the game. It seemed clear, at this point, that the Fremen or the Atreides were getting the upper hand. They both controlled two objectives and it was their intention to ally. But no worm ever appeared, so the final question has to remain open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris reichl

Appleton
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done. I like how you did the narrative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers! very well done - fun read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.