Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Often times, when I'm reading a post, I wonder where the user is from. If he/she happens to be local, maybe we can get together. It used to be that if you hovered over the flag on the post, you got the user's city and country, but now only the country is displayed. I'd like to petition that the city display be reinstated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lakatos
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 please
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
+2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/422779
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/417781
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/420191
Etc.

Reported and requested many, many times, with many, many explanations as to why it's not coming back soon but will probably be back eventually.

Aldie wrote:
We're aware of the problem - thanks.

derk wrote:
Trust me when I say that we have very valid reasons for removing it, but I don't wish to make those reasons public. It will return again, as it is a 'very good thing' (tm). We jsut have to figure out the best way to implement it again...

Etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Why was that removed in the first place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:
Why was that removed in the first place?

Read this thread. An explanation of sorts is given several times in that thread. Exact details are murky, and Derk says they'll stay murky for now, like it or lump it.

Octavian wrote:
...There was something buggy in the implementation that was causing problems with the site behind-the-scenes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing the issue has to do with the system showing the most up-to-date location information for each user. In order to do that you have to fetch it from the user database (you can't save that information with the post/item because then it's static). So if there are 50 users displayed in a thread or geeklist you have to do 50 database fetches to get that information. That's not a problem with a few users but when you have 1000 users surfing the site it becomes a heavy burden on the system.

You can design around this problem by creating lookup table(s) that will get cached by the database but that's a coding/database schema change and that all takes time to change.

Or, I could be entirely wrong.

Whatever the case I look forward to getting it back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donovan K. Loucks
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick,

Given that each user's full name, username, avatar, and microbadges are displayed, I doubt that it's a database-related issue. The microbadges are the most telling given that they're likely to be in a separate table from the user data where the city and state are. At least, that's how I'd design it...

Donovan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You raise some good points Donovan. That's what I get for trying to think about these things at work when I'm also trying to do some real work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lakatos
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Diane,
Until this popped up on the front page,I didn't know I was the only one missing this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Dueck
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+3 please

The city is a piece of info that I miss seeing. Can't wait to see it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.