Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Preston
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play 2p advanced much, so I don't know if these kind of turns are all that common. But I played with a coworker over lunch today and had a memorable ending. Here's the setup

My tableau:

My opponent was going produce consume (I may have missed a card here this is all from memory),

I had a couple VPs from EE, he had 10-12. I had just traded for a full hand, including

and 6 others.

I had some of those 4 critical cards a turn or 2 earlier, but the trade gave me the cards to pay for all of it.

He had just dropped Colony Ship, so I was expecting him to call Settle, while I called double Develop.

It went according to plan and I was able to drop the above 4 cards for an increase of around 22 pts. Fun!

ps My opponent was a good sport about it, I asked him before posting this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Engels
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You nailed it! I had a small hand of 4 cards so I called Settle/ConsumeX2 intending to colony ship into Galactic Trendsetters then consume for 7 vp (two consumes plus a discard). I took advantage of one of your Develops to make a public works, boosting my consume to 9 vp...which was all dwarfed by your monster 22 point gain.

How do you make these tableaus using images!? They're all stored on bgg somewhere but how do you search for them? Then there are even versions with a good on them, slick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Severian596 wrote:
You nailed it! I had a small hand of 4 cards so I called Settle/ConsumeX2 intending to colony ship into Galactic Trendsetters then consume for 7 vp (two consumes plus a discard). I took advantage of one of your Develops to make a public works, boosting my consume to 9 vp...which was all dwarfed by your monster 22 point gain.

How do you make these tableaus using images!? They're all stored on bgg somewhere but how do you search for them? Then there are even versions with a good on them, slick.

Tim
Australia
Kilsyth
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has most of them in his user gallery. Haven't seen the RvI scans show up yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Settling into someone who has logistics, 7 military (discardable up to 9), and a full hand of cards doesn't seem like a good play to me, unless you likewise have some monstrous settle powers or are in dire need of that settle. Then again, I don't know the spread or if he actually had anymore consumption on the table, but the looks of it, without any other worlds down, he is probably going to lose regardless of action selection.

His consume will get him 3 (for trend setters) + 4 for the 2xed consume, -1 for the loss of the colony ship, for a net of 6, without considering how much you could punish it.

I recommend consume + (exp+1,1 or exp+5 or produce), depending on if he thinks you will end the game (probably) and whether he can has a useful 6 dev and needs cards for it, or needs to find one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Hollinger
msg tools
I almost had a 20 point round in a 4 player game. Key word...almost. I miscalculated on my develop and ended up having no cards to settle (but helped me find a bug on the genie server!).

So what I wanted to do was develop dropships and then settle lost alien battlefleet. And I had exactly 5 cards in hand. But I called settle (I know if I called develop that i would have had enough, but I guessed no one else would call settle, and I was right). Anyway it would've been beautiful had i had 6 cards instead of 5. Because I was like 17 points behind and someone was about to fill their tableau and it woulda been an amazing comeback if I had just 1 more card. *Sigh*

Anyway...here's how the 20 points woulda worked: the military goal (5), the production world goal (5), the alien goal (3), plus the value of the two cards (6). Ok 19 points, but I still would've surprised the heck out of my opponents. Alas it didn't work out, but props for your alien extravaganza.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've miscalculated things like that and it's pretty annoying. You think you've got it all figured out to make the perfect play, and then you find out you missed a tiny little detail.

Noktem wrote:
I almost had a 20 point round in a 4 player game.

Not only is that 20 points, due to the big goals changing hands it's a 25 point swing, assuming the leader had one of them. If he had both, 30 point swing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.