Mark Schlatter
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
It's The Winslow!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Chicago Express twice now. Both times the games ended because of stock sales. (In our last game, I realized my two opponents were overvaluing shares as they came to auction, while I had lots of cash. I thus brought on more auctions to end the game and maintain my edge.) In both games, railroad incomes were middling --- say, a high of about 35.

I assume that since the 50+ markers are included, you can (regularly?) see incomes get that high. My question is how? It seems that if income goes up too high, shares get sold quickly (thus hastening the end of the game). Is there a playing style where you see those high incomes?

Thanks,
Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mschlat wrote:
I assume that since the 50+ markers are included, you can (regularly?) see incomes get that high.

False. It's very rare, unless your group is perhaps new and/or plays in a very odd fashion.

Quote:
My question is how? It seems that if income goes up too high, shares get sold quickly (thus hastening the end of the game).

Yep

Quote:
Is there a playing style where you see those high incomes?

Probably, just not a good one. I've seen one company one time get to around 50. I've played ~40 games. Normally low 40's are the highest you'll see, more normal are low 30's for some companies, while others finish in the ~20 range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
mschlat wrote:
I've played Chicago Express twice now. Both times the games ended because of stock sales. (In our last game, I realized my two opponents were overvaluing shares as they came to auction, while I had lots of cash. I thus brought on more auctions to end the game and maintain my edge.)

You got it. See if your opponents will give you the game again in this fashion. Hopefully they will not let you take it so easily.

After the group realization that a player can win by closing out the game, then you move on the converse strategy - try to win by prolonging the game. Thats a little harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the back of the +50 token they wanted to write "ur doin it wrong!1", but it didn't fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.