Popular Tags: [View All]
Cole Medeiros
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any board games where players keep a character sheet that improves over the course of many games, like an RPG but without a GM?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keith
United States
Umatilla
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Descent and Heroesquest have a mechanic for this. Some also just give perks in the setup phase to simulate progression like more starting money or carrying over of special equipment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer Quest

Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunslinger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
While not exactly the same, in Necromunda your gang has a character sheet and they improve from one game to the next with new weapons, stats and sometimes wounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Averett
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
uh...whose turn is it?
badge
I spent 100gg for this?!?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestations
The microgame Wizard and also Melee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although out-of-print, Firepower has a character sheet where you can keep track of the various skills and weapons of individual soldiers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Pavone
United States
Ruby
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's Talisman, HeroQuest, SpaceQuest, Dark Tower (but it's more of an inventory), aaaaaaannnnnnd uuuuummmmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleTech, only the only thing that really improves are pilot and gunnery skill of a certain mech's pilot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Medeiros
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisman? Hm. I've never played Talisman and kept a sheet where progress is tracked across multiple games.

And Battlestations doesn't exactly fit what I was looking for, because it essentially requires a GM. But as far as 'Board Games with GMs' goes, I think this is a category that is bigger than most people think. Any game where its all the players against one uber player (like DOOM, Descent, Last Night on Earth, etc.) starts to feel very quickly like one player is running the game or creating the game for the players, and therefore doesn't get to experience a large chunk of what makes the game so cool (unless your group successfully rotates this role).

Take that opinion lightly though, as I am speaking from the stand point of ALWAYS being the GM or the owner of the game, and therefore teaching / running it. I enjoy it (obviously) but it can be exhausting and just a little disappointing to hear the players stories but rarely participate from their team's point of view.

Kalimundar (working title - http://trinidain.wordpress.com/ ) is a game I'm designing which is basically an epic adventure game without a GM, and I've been playing with the idea of a team of players (who crew a futuristic underwater vessel through an alien submerged world) keeping a character sheet. They design their ship and purchase upgrades, gain rank, cargo, energy, money, etc. Keeping a sheet over several sessions could be really neat. Even a ships log!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrJade wrote:
Are there any board games where players keep a character sheet that improves over the course of many games, like an RPG but without a GM?

It appears everyone is overlooking the bold part (mine for emphasis).

Warhammer Quest is the only one (as far as I know) that meets your criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Medeiros
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What all do you keep track of in Warhammer Quest across games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
The story is that you're supposed to track your character on his card (character sheet) in Lost Worlds, but I wonder if anyone ever really did that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
World of Warcraft: The Boardgame

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only ones that are really designed for a campaign with multiple games that I know of are Warhammer Quest, Descent: Road to Legend (an expansion set of rules playable only with the base game) and Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel has a campaign version where you get to keep gear from earlier games. We played MC: SotC one night and it was great, fast paced dungeon crawling fun. Played multiple scenarios over several hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want some wargaming character improvement, try the recent Panzer Grenadier: Campaigns and Commanders Vol 1 – War in the East or the very nearly out Panzer Grenadier: Campaigns and Commanders Vol. 2 – The King's Officers.

Or just settle for Ambush!, Patton's Best, B-17: Queen of the Skies, etc. All solitaire games though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.