Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Sytsma
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My toaster took a dive off the counter and broke, so now I need to buy a new one. My wife wants to get a toaster oven. Which is better.

VS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on what you will be using it for.

A toaster oven is great if you are going to use the oven function. We use ours all the time to bake and broil chicken, pork, steaks, veggies. etc.

If you are only going to toast sliced bread, then buy a toaster.

If you decide on a toaster oven, invest in a good one!! Delonghi makes some good ones, but make sure you get the one made in Italy!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that putting peanut butter on the Italian bread before toasting it works FAR better in a toaster oven.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manisha DS
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we got our toaster oven we hardly ever use the big oven. It actually saves on energy costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My dad used to design toasters for General Electric. He always said the person who could design a toaster to consistently brown both sides of the bread evenly and repeatedly would win a Nobel prize. Any toaster can properly toast bread for the first week; it's the ones that can properly toast bread after a year or more of use that are rare.

The problem is that toasters work just like light bulbs: wires get super hot if they resist a lot of electricity. In toasters, the wires are slightly thicker and not in a vacuum or surrounded by glass. See this Popular Science article for specifics on how toasters work. They're pretty much the same today.

Note that the cheapest toasters use a bi-metallic strip to turn off the electromagnet and "pop" the toast. Bi-metallic strips have two problems: they are affected by the room temperature, so if your kitchen is cold your first piece of toast will be too dark, and they are affected by time between toastings, so if you try to toast more bread immediately after toasting the first ones, the second batch will be too light because the bi-metallic strip hasn't cooled down yet so your toaster will be too "hot" and falsely pop too early.

Also, widening of the slots to fit things like bagels means that your thinner bread will toast unevenly too. Ideally you want the bread to sit as evenly and as close to the heated wires as possible. If there were one standard size for bread slices, this would be achievable. Sadly, there is not.

In fact, most toasters fail due to the accumulation of crumbs and dirt inside and toasting things other than bread also contributes to eventual mechanical or electrical failure. So clean your toaster for a long, happy life!

If toast is what you want to produce, then choose an appliance that holds bread evenly and properly in a slot just big enough to fit. And spend the money for a long-lasting appliance, because the more costly toasters use thicker, longer-lasting (and better resistance) wire and a better mechanism for sensing when to pop up the toasted bread.

DeLonghi (Italian model) makes a good (but expensive) model!

If you don't care about getting the perfect bread, then consider a toaster oven, which will take a wee bit longer to produce toast, has the problem of toasting more on one side than the other, but can do a whole lot more than just make toast.

I'm a toaster oven convert, myself. But then I'm the daughter of a toaster perfectionist, and the perfect toaster simply doesn't exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this was going to be a preview of the newest episode of Deadliest Warrior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a toaster oven man through and through. Far more versatile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Toaster Oven. You can't make english muffin pizzas in a toaster.

Shouldn't this be a poll?

Or a geeklist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielfreak wrote:
Toaster Oven. You can't make english muffin pizzas in a toaster.

Wait - you're using your toaster vertically?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You could always get one of these:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christychan
United States
Somerville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity - does anyone reccomend the toaster oven/convection oven combo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Prismcat wrote:
Out of curiosity - does anyone reccomend the toaster oven/convection oven combo?

Having the exact model as the picture I posted, no I don't. The oven works ok, but the toaster doesn't toast evenly at all. I'd rather just have a nice toaster oven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christychan
United States
Somerville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TopperHarley wrote:
Prismcat wrote:

Having the exact model as the picture I posted, no I don't. The oven works ok, but the toaster doesn't toast evenly at all. I'd rather just have a nice toaster oven.

What if I don't eat toast? Seriously, I have a toaster and if I use it once a year, it's a busy year for that toaster. I didn't even buy it, it was a gift.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Prismcat wrote:
What if I don't eat toast?

Then you must be stoned to death. And I have dibs on your soul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manisha DS
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prismcat wrote:

We have a toaster oven with convection option. It does speed up the cooking time slightly and allows for better overall cooking. It's a good feature to have but make sure you buy a good brand. The convection fan tends to break sooner on cheaper models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
Prismcat wrote:

Wouldn't she be eating alot more toast if she were stoned?

edit: fixed the pronoun, sorry Prismcatblush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hopefully becoming a restaurant owner soon! Peter Melanson
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christychan
United States
Somerville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cooler king wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:
Prismcat wrote:

Wouldn't she be eating alot more toast if she were stoned?

edit: fixed the pronoun, sorry Prismcatblush

I'm a girl! Didn't you see the pink bow on my avatar's head!

Pink bow on head = girl!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm another toaster oven convert ... sort of. I've had the "shallow" ones that neither toast nor cook well. However, when I ended up in a new place, my brother lent me his Proctor-Silex "deep" toaster oven, which is long enough to cook a full-size frozen pizza. The oven in my apartment didn't get fixed, but I've hardly missed it owing to this machine. Going to have to get one myself.

Can't say whether it is this model (probably not), but it's comparable:
http://www.amazon.com/Proctor-Silex-31120-Proctor-Silex-Pizz...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christychan
United States
Somerville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I was cruising Amazon and reading about toaster ovens, convection ovens and all the variants in between and came across this - thoughts? feedback? anyone have one or know someone that has one? anyone want one?

AeroMatic Convection Oven

http://www.amazon.com/Aroma-Housewares-AST-900E-AeroMatic-Co...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Commandex wrote:
My toaster took a dive off the counter and broke

Gee. That's odd. I was talking with your toaster just last week and it seemed really happy. It was very excited about the bag of bagels you have in the fridge

Commandex wrote:
My wife wants to get a toaster oven.

Aha!! Your toaster did not take a dive, sir. It was pushed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:
Commandex wrote:
My toaster took a dive off the counter and broke

Gee. That's odd. I was talking with your toaster just last week and it seemed really happy. It was very excited about the bag of bagels you have in the fridge

Commandex wrote:
My wife wants to get a toaster oven.

Aha!! Your toaster did not take a dive, sir. It was pushed.

Yoo-Hoo Amy Wiles!!!

Get over here and control your MAN!!!

Out of control with the sexist comments!!!

surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.