Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The twins are six, and will turn 7 in a couple months. Their biggest obsession at the moment is Star Wars. It started with the Lego Star Wars video game for the Wii, but we have also been watching the Star Wars movies and cartoons, and they have adapted their "outside play" to be mainly Star Wars related.

I did a quick search of Star Wars games on BGG, and got around 100 hits. A lot of them are the usual tripe with a Star Wars license added (Monopoly, Stratego, Risk). I am not interested in these.

The two highest rated are Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit and Star Wars: Epic Duels. I was surprised to see that both of these are by the same designer as Heroscape. Cool! The kids (and me) love Heroscape, and with a few minor changes (such as dropping the order markers), it's really not too complicated for them.

Queen's Gambit looks pretty interesting, but perhaps is too complicated? I don't know. Epic Duels looks to be more the right complexity level. Both, however, are prohibitively expensive. Queen's Gambit is basically out of the question with a $200+ price tag. Epic Duels is doable, maybe. Is it hard to find?

Anyway, opinions on these two games would be appreciated, as well as other Star Wars themed games.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Attacktix Battle Figure Game: Star Wars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton der Grosse
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both the games you mention are good - very good - but also expensive and hard to find.

When my boys were around that age (just a few short years ago) they really liked Attacktix which is a strategy-light dexterity game. I think it's since been discontinued, but I do occasionally see packs of figures at the discount stores for $1-3 a package.

They're probably still to young for Star Wars mini's. My oldest (age 10) is just starting to fully understand miniature gaming. It can be done with some hand holding, though. It can get expensive as well.

Star Wars Pocketmodels - the ships are cool to look at, but the game as it stands is not very good. There are good rule mods and maps that have been designed by fans, though. They can be found at a decent price as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While it's not the best game ever, I started my daughter off with Star Wars: Jedi Unleashed. It's got fairly easy mechanics, a bunch cardboard stand ups, and plays pretty quickly. She was able to pick it up easily and I think it helped her when we later moved up to Epic Duels. You can actually find copies of it in the $5-$8 range, so even if you get limited play out of it you haven't bankrupt yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rkhigdon wrote:
While it's not the best game ever, I started my daughter off with Star Wars: Jedi Unleashed. It's got fairly easy mechanics, a bunch cardboard stand ups, and plays pretty quickly. She was able to pick it up easily and I think it helped her when we later moved up to Epic Duels. You can actually find copies of it in the $5-$8 range, so even if you get limited play out of it you haven't bankrupt yourself.

Jedi unleashed is shockingly fun. A lot of dice rolling and a nice sense of "panic" to get everything taken care of before Yoda arrives. You should be able to find that in Clearance bins everywhere. Epic Duals is harder to find because it has a little more meat to it and appeals just as much to adult gamers as kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
My kids have liked Star Wars Epic Duels, but it really helps if you have kids that can read. My non reader is less excited about playing, and will only play if he can have an adult partner to do the reading. 8 and up love this game.
If you can get an incomplete set for cheap, what you want is all the figures, all the cards & boards, but the wound counters are not really necessary for gameplay, you can use any small thing to track health.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others mentioned, both Queen's Gambit and Epic Duels are great games and are both out of print and pricey. I don't know how easy it is to find these days, but the Star Wars: Episode 1 – Clash of the Lightsabers card game isn't half-bad. I'm not sure how easy it is to find these days, though (but I don't think it fetches the high prices of the others).

Aside from those, maybe Star Wars Miniatures with a slimmed-down ruleset?

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars: Jedi Unleashed perhaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I heard there is supposed to be a new Epic Duels using the Clone Wars stuff they are currently pushing coming out soon. Sounded like it might be a bit dumbed down, but would probably work very well for a 6-7 yr old...

Otherwise, while I don't enjoy it, my son has enjoyed Jedi Unleashed as a few have previously mentioned...

And Attacktix are great fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars Miniatures are not that hard, and the figures should double as toys absolutely wonderfully. You probably want to slim the rules down a bit (as also mentioned above), but the kids interest in Star Wars should really help them overcome most difficulties.

The game is collectible, but a starter kit or perhaps a big lot off E-bay will have you playing quickly and pretty cheap as well.

The game is good by the way, a lot of fun with (for adults) simple rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
Queen's Gambit isn't quite as expensive as that. More like $100-$125 for one in shrink, quite a bit less for a used one. And it is an excellent game, though on the high end of the learning curve for a 6- or 7-year-old. If you really want it, this is a good time to get it with prices a bit depressed right now. It's not going to get cheaper any time soon.

What about Star Wars: Young Jedi card game? It has a lot of detractors, but it should be accessible to kids that age and it's cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Lawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son (now 8) enjoys playing Risk: Star Wars – The Clone Wars Edition. I haven't learned it yet, but my husband enjoyed playing Risk when he was younger, so he taught our son.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will take a look at everything mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the kid and their comfort level with reading. These may be harder to find, but, the Star Wars Escape the Death Star Action Figure Game is a good one for younger kids http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6122 as it is not only a board game, but, lets them use SW action figures as playing pieces. The Star Wars Interactive Video Boardgame is a hoot as well. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6810 Also, there are some Star Wars Galactic Heroes games available now, but, I have no idea if they are worth the paper they are printed on or not.

The other suggestions of Clone Wars Risk and Original Trilogy Risk (the better of the two, IMHO) are also excellent choices if the kids are ok with light reading and strategic thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.