Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Kubas
Poland
Rzeszów
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Is a unit still pinned if there is no VOF marker on the card?

2) Is the cover +6 if a unit is in a strong building (+3 cover) on village card (+3 cover)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No (It would be removed in the mutual combat phase.)
2. Yes +6
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. A unit is not pinned if there is no VOF on it.
2. Cover markers and card cover value add up, so in your case it is +6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that unless you successfully perform a "rally" action to remove the pinned marker before the combat phase of the next turn, your pinned unit will basically need to go through most of that next turn pinned even if there is no VOF marker.

So, say in turn 1 during combat unit A gets a pinned marker. But in that same turn the enemy unit retreats, or something else happens such that there is no VOF on unit A's card anymore.

My understanding is that unless a rally is done, unit A will have to go through the beginning of turn 2 with that pinned marker on it - i.e. it has to go through a combat phase without being affected by fire.

The pinned marker would then go away at the end of the combat phase in turn 2.

Note that pinned units can still take quite a number of actions, such as falling back towards their own starting area (where applicable), firing at enemy units (may need an "all pinned" marker if they're the only ones firing though), etc. I also believe they count as "good order" units, but note that there are some actions that "good order" units can take, but even some of those actions are not allowed if they are pinned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Grossman
msg tools
My understanding is:

1. If a pinned unit takes a Miss during the combat phase, it is immediately unpinned (Rules, 6.9.1 A)

2. If the VOF is removed from the card of a pinned unit, that unit remains pinned until the beginning of the next turn's combat phase (Errata, 3.7.1)

3. Pinned units are NOT Good Order units (Rules, 4.2.5, first sentence).

4. In addition to those actions allowed under 4.2.5, pinned units may also attempt Movement Action 4.2.2f., Move to or from Cover. (Errata, 4.2.5)

Hope this helps, and by all means someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Roger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moosepuppy wrote:
My understanding is:

1. If a pinned unit takes a Miss during the combat phase, it is immediately unpinned (Rules, 6.9.1 A)

2. If the VOF is removed from the card of a pinned unit, that unit remains pinned until the beginning of the next turn's combat phase (Errata, 3.7.1)

3. Pinned units are NOT Good Order units (Rules, 4.2.5, first sentence).

4. In addition to those actions allowed under 4.2.5, pinned units may also attempt Movement Action 4.2.2f., Move to or from Cover. (Errata, 4.2.5)

Hope this helps, and by all means someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Roger

Roger,
You are correct on all of your points, and I stand corrected on your point 3 about pinned units not being good order units.

Unbelievable that I have been playing this wrong with pinned units for so long now. This is yet *another* situation where the rule book contradicts itself. If you read in section 1.2.6 (the glossary of terms) a good order unit is defined as being:

"This is any Infantry Unit that is not a Limited Action Team."

So, clearly, even though the latest errata does not say anything about this particular part of the rulebook, the glossary section 1.2.6 meaning for a "pinned unit" must be wrong, or at least conflicts with section 4.2.5 of the rules as you pointed out and that I clarified for myself which clearly states that pinned units are "not" considered good order units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Grossman
msg tools
Hey, Matt.

You confusion is not unbelievable in the least. I'm constantly finding out I'm screwing up the most basic stuff. Bring on that second edition rule book!

Roger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, its just more disheartening than anything else. I haven't even touched vehicles yet (besides jeeps) but I at least thought I was *finally* getting everything else right...

Thanks for your responses Roger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Grossman
msg tools
Hey, Matt.

I TOTALLY hear you. That's exactly the way I feel. I keep saying to myself, "One more run-through and I'll be ready for vehicles!" Then, I find out I've been doing something wrong and it's back to the drawing board.

Still, it's a brilliant and absorbing game.

Roger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Rieger
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy, I played those Pinned Units as Good Order all the time! Pleeeeease give us that 2nd edition rule book!!!cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.