Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've really enjoyed Cuba and am looking for more games (playable with 2 if possible) that incorporate building a victory point engine. I know there have to be a bunch out there. I'm assuming someone will recommend Caylus, but I haven't looked into that yet. Could it be too heavy for me perhaps? I played Pillars of the Earth, but I don't like that as much as Cuba. Puerto Rico is a hit with me, as well as Agricola.

I guess what I like about Cuba is that from the outset you can say "This time I'm going to try a shipping strategy or a water strategy" rather than just going with the flow and developing a plan midgame.

Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got the biggies I'd suggest; I'll be curious to see what other people come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that you already have Race for the Galaxy. That's the first game I thought of when I read 'VP engine'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paolo Robino wrote:
I see that you already have Race for the Galaxy. That's the first game I thought of when I read 'VP engine'.

This is true. Maybe I'm too much of an amateur to Race for the Galaxy, but I often times have to rely on what cards come my way to develop my strategy (start world and whatever 6 cost developments I draw)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Appel
United States
Fairchild AFB
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Driver 8 wrote:
Paolo Robino wrote:

This is true. Maybe I'm too much of an amateur to Race for the Galaxy, but I often times have to rely on what cards come my way to develop my strategy (start world and whatever 6 cost developments I draw)

True, the start world and initial hand do mold your strategy more often than not, but that's not saying you can't decide to try an all military srategy, you just won't have a headstart on that when starting on Old Earth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Saint Petersburg is a lighter engine game that plays well 2-4 players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Worth a look:

Vikings
Goa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Brass: Lancashire has multiple paths to victory, but it is a lot heavier than Cuba. You decide a fair amount of what strategy to play based on your opening hand, so you can't pick a strategy before you even start playing. Additionally, it is a bit more tactical than Puerto Rico. I've only played Cuba once, so I'm not a good judge of how tactical Cuba plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hiesterman
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
I wish to kill you, be at rest as to that, but to kill you quietly in a snug, remote place, where you will not be able to boast of your death to anybody
badge
Caught trouser-free in open country...
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's a solo game, but I recommend Pocket Civ. A free PnP game of civilization building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
The Scepter of Zavandor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization is da shit! Seriously, this is worthy of being number one here at the geek, a brilliant game. You win by having the most culture points and not victory points per se, but that is just a difference of names. It works the same. This game is THE VP engine game with a humongous amount of paths to victory. You learn the game in steps, so while the game is a real heavy weight, you add rules in steps which really aids in learning the game. The only bad thing is that now, when I know the game, everything else pales in comparison. I can live with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bulldozers
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right off the top several games came to my mind. Firstly, I guess I consider "VP engine" games to be games that allow players to score mulitple times based on various victory objectives or goals/pieces/tiles/cards/territories that they have been able to earn.

The first is: Ra. It is won the most convincingly when people use VP engine strats. That constant influx of points in each epic can be helpful come game end. Yes its about smart auctioning etc, I know all of that. It's just that there are some juicy points to be gained in thinking along the idea of engines and how the generate points.

Next would be: In the Year of the Dragon. This is an awesome game. I have a little trouble with the turn order being so very powerful but there is plenty to balance it out with experience had from multiple plays. Right off the fact that points come repeatedly from nicely built "houses". It is fun.

Thirdly: Alhambra. Ok this has an auctiony feeling to it once again, it also has spacial relations skills but the powerful points come from wisely built gardens that score repeatedly. I really enjoy the various things a player has to manage in order to win soundly.

There are some other games that have the feeling of VPs that can repeat themselves. And when you get your little engines a running my friend, that feeling of an appraoching win can be very gratifying. These additional loosely related games are: El Grande,Key Harvest ,Shogun, and yes On the Underground.

To explain the last game: (as I know there are so very many technical geeks that want to find points of contention with various comments...) A hefty advantage is gained by the plyer that knows a track laid in a location to be used multiple times is going to become...dump dah daaaaahh... a scoring engine. I could explain the others a little more but when posting from work I gotta respect my boss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Stone Age. Should fits your bill. But I see you don't like Pillars, so you might want to try it before you buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bulldozers
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EuroHobbes wrote:
I would recommend Stone Age. Should fits your bill. But I see you don't like Pillars, so you might want to try it before you buy it.

I concur. It was adding it when I saw your post. I think almost anyone could like Stone Age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
I suggest Colosseum on the lighter side of boardgames, and Dominion for another card game with the facotrs you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the Goa and Through the ages recommendations .

Perhaps also the Princes of Machu Picchu and Le Havre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Burian
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
bulldozers wrote:

Thirdly: Alhambra. Ok this has bidding in it once again, as does Ra and it also has spacial relations skills but the powerful points come from wisely built gardens that score repeatedly.

Bidding in Alhambra? Am i missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bulldozers
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kasuga04 wrote:
bulldozers wrote:

Thirdly: Alhambra. Ok this has bidding in it once again, as does Ra and it also has spacial relations skills but the powerful points come from wisely built gardens that score repeatedly.

Bidding in Alhambra? Am i missing something?

I guess you could call it market strategy instead?. but the purchasing of the various tiles(sections of garden...) is definately competative aquisition...

Your purchases are determined by options you face but your purchasing power comes from choosing coins. The bottom line comes with the various choices you make to spend those coins you have selected.

To me that feels auction like. You can over spend etc. It isn't "auction like" in that no one directly competes... but it is "auction like" in the sense that it's the other players' choice which coins they choose.

If one of my competitors keeps choosing the coins I want, that feels like I am losing auctions to me.

I corrected my above post to more acuratly describe what I was trying to convey. Thanks man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to check out Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
otha62 wrote:
You might want to check out Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery...

I will second that recommendation and also add Le Havre. I'm absolutely amazed that no one has suggested it so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
I will second that recommendation and also add Le Havre. I'm absolutely amazed that no one has suggested it so far.

I already suggested it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
maaikefest wrote:
MisterG wrote:

I already suggested it

See? This is what you get for not making it blue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.