Taboo» Forums » Rules

Subject: Taboo answer rules opinion please.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
string pickin
United States
California
flag msg tools
The word on the card to be gotten was "toy"..

If someone answered,, (Toy Story),, would that be a correct answer becuse the word "toy" was said?

If someone answered and said; Toy Boat, or Toy Soldier would that be an acceptable answer because they were made to say the word toy?

So in essense would it be correct because the person giving the clue made the people say the word "toy" no matter that it was icluded with another word which forces it to mean something else?

And how about this situation.. words that have the word toy built in to them? How would this be handled?

toyer
toyers
toying
toyish
toyless
toylike
toyo
toyon
toyons
toyos

Thank you for helping us to resolve this dispute..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The word on the card to be gotten was "toy"..

Quote:
If someone answered,, (Toy Story),, would that be a correct answer becuse the word "toy" was said?

Yes.

Quote:
If someone answered and said; Toy Boat, or Toy Soldier would that be an acceptable answer because they were made to say the word toy?

Yes.

Quote:
So in essense would it be correct because the person giving the clue made the people say the word "toy" no matter that it was icluded with another word which forces it to mean something else?

Yes.

Quote:
And how about this situation.. words that have the word toy built in to them? How would this be handled?

toyer
toyers
toying
toyish
toyless
toylike
toyo
toyon
toyons
toyos

Thank you for helping us to resolve this dispute..

We play that as long as the word is said, regardless of conjugation, plural, prefix, suffix, etc. it is okay. As far as toyon and toyo and such (which I don't think are real words), I think you would need to house rule that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taboo is a party game. If you spend much time on reading and discussing rules, the fun is gone. It just takes too long until 8+ players have discussed a rule... Do your opponents a favor from time to time and accept a "close" answer. Everybody will have more fun that way.

Just my 2 cents of course.

And no, I have no idea what the official rule says.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
string pickin
United States
California
flag msg tools
well that was no help at all. thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I guess I'm unclear as to where the dispute lies. Generally, if you say the word regardless of context, it scores. I don't know what in my original response doesn't help. Could you help explain the dispute?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
mbmbmbmbmb
stringpickin wrote:
well that was no help at all. thanks

Two people took the time to give their opinion. How is that "no help at all"? Were you really only trolling for support?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
string pickin
United States
California
flag msg tools
Please understand, the answer where someone took the time to bullet out and give their opinion was not present when I made that statement. The only one that was there at that time was the one below. I dont' know how that happened but it did.. The person below said they didnt' even know what the official rules said. So I had asked for an answer that came from the rules, not a be friendly and let it be close and move on and have a fun time answer. It was a very friendly game and is nothing more than a discussion between us(the group that was playing).

We all agreed to put the question on the board in the manner it was given. So to answer your question.. No I was not trolling for a prefered answer. We all wanted the logical, most widely accepted playing by the official rules answer. Hope you understand. And thanks for the heads up..

Taboo is a party game. If you spend much time on reading and discussing rules, the fun is gone. It just takes too long until 8+ players have discussed a rule... Do your opponents a favor from time to time and accept a "close" answer. Everybody will have more fun that way.

Just my 2 cents of course.

And no, I have no idea what the official rule says.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
string pickin
United States
California
flag msg tools
I have to disagree. There is an official rule.. the rules say and I quote: Each time a teammate shouts out the correct "guess word" the clue-givers team scores a point.

And apparently someone on wikipedia believes it means and I quote: The specific answer must be correctly given. When answering the question one must complete the answer exactly as written on the card.

So the case can be made, if someone says toy boat and is told great move on, that person will never know if Toy or Boat, or Toy boat was the correct answer. It just seems to make sense that if the person playing doesn't even know what word they got right, how can the correct word have been gotten. sounds logical to me.. and a few others in the group too. But some don't..So thus why the question on the ol taboo site. Didn't mean to raise any feathers..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
string pickin
United States
California
flag msg tools
apparently if someone disagrees with your position they just like to argue.. I am done with you too.. thanks for your superiority trip.. was wonderful..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stringpickin wrote:
So the case can be made, if someone says toy boat and is told great move on, that person will never know if Toy or Boat, or Toy boat was the correct answer. It just seems to make sense that if the person playing doesn't even know what word they got right, how can the correct word have been gotten. sounds logical to me.. and a few others in the group too. But some don't..So thus why the question on the ol taboo site. Didn't mean to raise any feathers..

If the word is "TOY" and someone says "Toy boat", then they still said "Toy", they just also said "boat". They did say the exact word. Some people shout off a long string of random words, hoping to guess the right one. There is nothing wrong with this, as long as somewhere in that sring of words is the answer word. My thoughts, anyway.

They know that they got the word right because the clue-giver tells them they did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
string pickin
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hey Aaron.. Yes, I do get the fact that the word toy was uttered. but the point being discussed between us as the group who has been playing is. We generally will not accept an answer such as, If the cards word is,, accident, and someone says accidently, it might be played like,, okay, accidently includes the exact word but is not the word on the card, then the guessers would clarify ohhh, accident. So we generally play that ings, ed, or the various endings of words must be corrected before it is agreed the correct word is said as spelled on the card.

So the point of "toy" versus toy boat, is: If someone was saying the words independently, such as guessing a word at a time such as boat, toy, car, and the word toy was said it is of course accepted. But if someone would say two words together as though it was the answer the card listed such as an object or thing such as toy boat but the card did not ask for toy boat. So the clue giver would say, the word on the card is in toy boat, so?? then they would guess toy, or boat and the point would be given and then on you go.

So while some might say it is being picky, it could be understood as following the rules of "the" word. Because clearly the person that said toy boat as one thing or as the answer for what the card word or statement was, meant toy boat, not toy or boat. So it seems it is all up to how you interpret the rule, the "word".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dixon
United States
Mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stringpickin wrote:
Hey Aaron.. Yes, I do get the fact that the word toy was uttered. but the point being discussed between us as the group who has been playing is. We generally will not accept an answer such as, If the cards word is,, accident, and someone says accidently, it might be played like,, okay, accidently includes the exact word but is not the word on the card, then the guessers would clarify ohhh, accident. So we generally play that ings, ed, or the various endings of words must be corrected before it is agreed the correct word is said as spelled on the card.

So the point of "toy" versus toy boat, is: If someone was saying the words independently, such as guessing a word at a time such as boat, toy, car, and the word toy was said it is of course accepted. But if someone would say two words together as though it was the answer the card listed such as an object or thing such as toy boat but the card did not ask for toy boat. So the clue giver would say, the word on the card is in toy boat, so?? then they would guess toy, or boat and the point would be given and then on you go.

So while some might say it is being picky, it could be understood as following the rules of "the" word. Because clearly the person that said toy boat as one thing or as the answer for what the card word or statement was, meant toy boat, not toy or boat. So it seems it is all up to how you interpret the rule, the "word".

But... they said the word.

Point.

Next card.

Diis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.