Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, one of my hobbies is designing fan made expansions for games I really like and in that vein I have produced a set of 25 or so cards for Dominion. I haven't tested them all, and the ones I have tested have only been tested two player. But I was interested in people's opinions.

I'll start with one that I think may be too powerful for its cost. It also allows you to target a specific player, something we have not seen in any Dominion cards to date, and thus may go against a design goal of the game.

Any comments? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buggy wrote:
It also allows you to target a specific player, something we have not seen in any Dominion cards to date, and thus may go against a design goal of the game.

May?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see this one backfiring a lot.

Like in the end game you pass them a gold thinking they will have to give you a Province and they don't have one, so you get nothing and then they have enough for a province. Of course passing the Witch player your Curses would be fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could soften that card a little by saying something like this:

"All players reveal the top card of their deck. You may pass any of the players a card from your hand costing 1 less than the card revealed. If you do, gain their revealed card into your hand."

You would still be able to target specific players, but only if they revealed a card costing exactly 1 more than something in your hand, and it would be more likely to spread the damage around as you take advantage of good opportunities from people's revealed cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that a lot. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
In your image posted to the gallery, the top part of the letters in the url are cut off. Also I like banyan's tweak better. Still cool, I could see trying to mix these in with the published cards in a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if they don't have a card that matches? Do they keep the card you passed them anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dagibbs wrote:
What happens if they don't have a card that matches? Do they keep the card you passed them anyway?

Yes, absolutely, although I will probably go with something like Banyan's tweak. I'll probably make it 1-2 coins less so that you can still get rid of curses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buggy wrote:
dagibbs wrote:

Yes, absolutely, although I will probably go with something like Banyan's tweak. I'll probably make it 1-2 coins less so that you can still get rid of curses.

How about "2 less, or more"? Imagine the situation where there are lots of attacks and the Moat pile is drained. Someone turns over a Moat and the cheapest card you have is a Silver. I would probably trade a Silver for a Moat in that situation.

However: Individual attack cards are inherently problematic, IMHO, but this could be especially prone to abuse. With this kind of wording, it would be legal to take a Curse and give a Province, if you were intent on helping someone contrary to the spirit of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have updated Doppelganger with Banyan's suggestions.

And if you're smart, you can chain it. I'll give you this Library for your Gold, and I'll give you this Gold I just got for your Province.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"No less than 2 less" man I can't stand wording like that. Does it mean the card can't cost any less than 2 less or does it mean it has to be at least 2 less but could be 3 or more less? I know which you mean, it's just an annoying little linguistic point.

The more precise but absolutely awful alternative is, "Costing 2 or less less than the card revealed"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The nicer way to word "no less than" is "at most".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. I'll change it to "at most 2 less."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuuli Mustasydän
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buggy wrote:
Nice. I'll change it to "at most 2 less."

I think that it should be "at most 2 fewer." It'd be more formally correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Dominion treats it as a mass noun, like "money", so less is correct. In fact if you look at Saboteur it says exactly that; "at most 2 less".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bridgham
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to get rid of individual attacks, you can say that you have to use the power of the card on all revealed cards or on none. Since that would make the power harder to use, you may want to also allow the player to trade the doppleganger after playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.