Tom O'K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear; I is here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely think so, and according to the game's page here, most people agree. That's one of the best things about the game, it is wonderful with any number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I am afraid I have to disagree. I think In the Year of the Dragon is a great game, but not for 2 players. With 2 players there are just too many actions left to pick and it makes the game a little too easy to play. Then again, that's just my $0.02 and some people maybe like it the easy way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Give it a shot here, and see what you think with 2 players.

http://www.silvermask.co.uk/dragon2.swf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear; I is here.
mbmbmbmbmb
burrie wrote:
I am afraid I have to disagree. I think In the Year of the Dragon is a great game, but not for 2 players. With 2 players there are just too many actions left to pick and it makes the game a little too easy to play. Then again, that's just my $0.02 and some people maybe like it the easy way.

Certainly you're entitled to your opinion but in my experience, easiness is pretty far from being a problem in 2p. In fact from my experience playing in the two player tournament organizes on mabiweb, I'd say it can be the most brutal and unforgiving player count.

Here is a thread regarding some 2p strategy questions posed by a player named Chad Ellis that sparked some debate, experimenting, and a tournament, all just for 2p. Interesting stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc magner
United States
webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if you want to try it... there is a very good implementation at www.mabiweb.com . It's pretty easy to
get a game going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Two player is very cut throat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc magner
United States
webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
Two player is very cut throat.

Nah... it's head to head and the tactics are a little different then say 5 player, but i wouldn't say it's any more confrontational than most 2 player games. That said it is more interactive then say lost cities, but less then say chess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g s
United States
Moab
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
burrie wrote:

Wow, that is nifty. I hadn't seen that before...thanks for posting the link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
The game is largely multiplayer solitaire anyways, so it's great with any number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Parkin
United States
Sanford
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The attribute that bothers me the most about this game is, as you put it, it is "multiplayer solitaire". There is not as much player interaction as, say, Stone Age or Ticket to Ride (our favorites).

Admittedly, I have only played this as a two-player game. With two players, everything seems too limited. You are constantly chasing the upcoming Event, and it feel as though you are playing the game alone.

I have not discerned any "strategy" beyond simple survival.

Are we doing something wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
ParkinT wrote:

In a 2 player game the player behind in turn order generally cannot win unless he has forced the leading player to do something extremely suboptimal. A 2 player game therefore, more than other numbers of players, is a real fight for turn order advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ParkinT wrote:
Admittedly, I have only played this as a two-player game. With two players, everything seems too limited. You are constantly chasing the upcoming Event, and it feel as though you are playing the game alone.

I have not discerned any "strategy" beyond simple survival.

Quite probably. Chasing the events is probably a poor strategy with any number of players. The game is not won by the player who fares the best at the events, but rather, is won by the player who scores the most VPs.

The most important VP sources in this game are neither the events nor the end-of-game 2VP bonus for your surviving persons; it is the three things which you score for at the end of every round (privilages, palaces, ladies). The events are just there to hinder you from scoring those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
gesa wrote:
burrie wrote:

Wow, that is nifty. I hadn't seen that before...thanks for posting the link.

Unfortunately, it is bugged with 2 players only (since there are only 2 copies of Young Farmer, Young Scholar, etc. rather than 3).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game with any number of players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.