Popular Tags: [View All]
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

How many people would benefit from childcare at BGG.CON? What ages would you need childcare for? I'm not saying I'm in a position to do anything about it, but my husband and I would absolutely love to go but won't be able to because of our toddler. (We live away from family, and our babysitter is busy that weekend -- she's going to be at something called BGG.CON.)

Would it be possible to implement some childcare for BGG.CON, if not for this year, for future cons?

I know Chit Chat is probably the wrong forum for this, but I'm not sure where to put it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just leave 'em in the car with the window cracked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Already got you covered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

How many people would benefit from childcare at BGG.CON? What ages would you need childcare for? I'm not saying I'm in a position to do anything about it, but my husband and I would absolutely love to go but won't be able to because of our toddler. (We live away from family, and our babysitter is busy that weekend -- she's going to be at something called BGG.CON.)

Would it be possible to implement some childcare for BGG.CON, if not for this year, for future cons?

I know Chit Chat is probably the wrong forum for this, but I'm not sure where to put it.

How selfish of your babysitter!

Seriously though, I would not mind watching him some, while ya'll game. but that would still involve bring him and getting a hotel room, ya know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a pint-sized Mad Max Thunderdome cage? With rattles, binkies, and woobies hanging from the sides. Two tykes enter; one tyke leaves.

Note: This might not work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the difficulty would be accountability and liability for BGG. After all, what are the guarantees that you will get fully trained, capable, and non-perverts to do this? You also need to have staff that are experienced in working with children and assessing potential situations, conflict, medical problems, etc.

I don't foresee it happening as it would open up another whole can of worms for BGG in exchange for higher attendance.

Also, I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my daughter with total strangers that I don't know a thing about for that many hours.

On the surface it seems like a great idea but is not realistically practical.

Now, satellite con sites.............like, Florida, NYC or New England, the Midwest, Pacific NW or Canada, Europe, etc..........that would be GREAT!!

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

How about the BGG Con forum or even the plain old Convention forum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
I believe the difficulty would be accountability and liability for BGG. After all, what are the guarantees that you will get fully trained, capable, and non-perverts to do this? You also need to have staff that are experienced in working with children and assessing potential situations, conflict, medical problems, etc.

I don't foresee it happening as it would open up another whole can of worms for BGG in exchange for higher attendance.

Also, I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my daughter with total strangers that I don't know a thing about for that many hours.

Now, satellite con sites.............like, Florida, NYC or New England, the Midwest, Pacific NW or Canada, Europe, etc..........that would be GREAT!!

kiss

Actually, most large conferences I attend do have childcare, provided by trained, licensed professionals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Freer
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:

kiss

Actually, most large conferences I attend do have childcare, provided by trained, licensed professionals.

Most large conferences charge a lot more for attendance and probably are put on by organizations that can afford more insurance against the kind of lawsuit they'd be slapped with should the officially provided childcare not work out well

I think if folks with kids want to come they should team up and look for a nanny for the duration. The economy has hit the domestic industry pretty hard so there are probably some experienced child care professionals out of work who wouldn't mind doing a short-term gig.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dietevil wrote:
LennyS wrote:

Most large conferences charge a lot more for attendance and probably are put on by organizations that can afford more insurance against the kind of lawsuit they'd be slapped with should the officially provided childcare not work out well

I think if folks with kids want to come they should team up and look for a nanny for the duration. The economy has hit the domestic industry pretty hard so there are probably some experienced child care professionals out of work who wouldn't mind doing a short-term gig.

My suggestion is that the people who need the childcare would pay more, and the extra cost would only be passed on to them. I wouldn't want to try to find a nanny in a different city where I don't know anyone who could make a recommendation.

Also, it looks like my thread got moved I didn't know how to move it. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
dietevil wrote:
LennyS wrote:

My suggestion is that the people who need the childcare would pay more, and the extra cost would only be passed on to them. I wouldn't want to try to find a nanny in a different city where I don't know anyone who could make a recommendation.

Also, it looks like my thread got moved I didn't know how to move it. Thanks!

Conferences I go too that have child care do normally have the parents pay some of it AND get a corporate sponsor. As BGG.con grows in respectability, I'd bet they could get GameWright or someone to throw in a few bucks and the parents then pay $30-$50 each night for a 'program' and then it wouldn't cost BGG anything. BUT, it's still a lot of work to coordinate all that and make sure there is a minimum interest. Maybe someone should volunteer now to start the planning for next year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collett
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
OOhhhhh.. Da Red Snappa! Veeerrry tasty!
badge
You sooo stupid!
mbmbmbmbmb
As the father of a 5 y/o and a 20 month old, my opinion is BGG con doesn't need to provide any sort of daycare. The con really isn't designed with children in mind. Is it frustrating that people (like myself) can't go because I can't bring my kids? Yes, but I also understand the point of not providing daycare and not having small children there. The conferences that I have been to either specifically say the age range that they will allow (which BGG does) or they allow all kids. I personally have never been to a conference that has daycare. Here are some of the reasons I can see why BGG wouldn't want to do it and probably shouldn't do it.

1) Liability reasons alone. Medical records will have to be kept on file along with shot records as well. What hospital or doctor in the local area would you want to see your child if there was a problem?

2) What are the state regulations for daycare for small children? I know that many states have limits on how many children of a certain age can be taken care of by a single licensed daycare provider. What if people bring more children than the convention can take care of? I know people can sign up and say they are bring X children but that doesn't always work as well.

3) What are people willing to pay for the daycare? Most people there won't be bringing their children so it would be a bit unfair to spread the cost across everyone when a very small percentage would probably take advantage of the service. (I noticed in another area that you were willing to pay so that is cool.)

4) What if there was a problem and you needed to leave? This may sound selfish but how fair is it to the people playing games with you and then you just have to leave for an unknown amount of time.

There are a lot of places I can't go and take my children and there are good reasons for it. I am glad those places exist because there are times when I like to get away and personally I think it is in BGG's best interest to keep things the way they are. I really can't think of any other reason other than raising attendence for them to bring in daycare and from what I see and read, attendence seems to be going well for them without it.

Another thing comes to mind; if you are willing to pay money to have someone watch your child while there, would you be better to pay for a plane ticket(s) for relatives to come visit to watch your child? Just a thought or maybe your babysitter knows other people that would be willing to watch your child?

In my opinion, after my wife and I had kids, we either gave up certain things or postponed them to another time in life to when we would be able to do them in order to have children. That is just the trade-off in certain situations.

I am not saying anyone who has posted here is this way. I am just going by what some of my friends did. They were the ones that honked and complained when they went to places and other people had kids that the kids were too loud, or they shouldn't have been there, or there should be a certain section for people without kids, etc. etc.

Once they had kids, now everything should bend for them because they have kids. They should be allowed to go anywhere at anytime with their children even if the kids aren't allowed.

There are some things that just function better without the worry of children and I believe that BGG is one of those things that benefits from that. Again, that is just my opinion.

Note: My wife and I love our children a lot! We just realize that there are places that they are better off not going and we are better off not taking them until they are of a certain age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
This has been suggested a number of times. Read some of those other threads in the BGG.con folder.

Aldie and I run a website. That is our main focus. BGG.con was started because we love to give parties. And neither of us particularly like the tournament-heavy approaches that seem to dominate large conventions. Therefore we wanted to create this convention for gamers. Our policy on children is to eliminate undue risk from our lives, not to be exclusionary. It's just that simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
tcollett wrote:
As the father of a 5 y/o and a 20 month old, my opinion is BGG con doesn't need to provide any sort of daycare.
I agree.
Quote:
I personally have never been to a conference that has daycare.
Until tonight (reading this), I had never even heard of such. And I doubt others have for gaming conventions.
Quote:
1) Liability reasons alone.
Definitely an issue.
Quote:
3) What are people willing to pay for the daycare?
Beyond that, how many people would even leave their kids (particularly toddlers) with a stranger. I doubt I would. And of those who would, how many of the kids would pitch a fit? I know mine would.
Quote:
4) What if there was a problem and you needed to leave?
Now, I know people (and live with one) who would agree with you on this one. But I don't consider this a problem. Its games, after all. I have had many, many, many more people exit a game before it ends because of some other engagement (usually a dinner run) and that's OK. Because, once again, it's a game convention.
Quote:
In my opinion, after my wife and I had kids, we either gave up certain things or postponed them to another time in life
I'm with you. We pretty much don't do anything without the kids. However, we have continued to go to game cons by taking the kids with us and alternating childcare. Sure, we don't get to play with one another, but we still get some time playing AND we get the bonus of having a vacation with the kids (kid museums, playgrounds, swimming pool, etc). When we're lucky, we bring grandma along and that allows the two of us to have some mutual gaming time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IKEA has childcare so it isn't so bold to think BGG con could do it.
I think the only real concern should be liability.
Anyone who has had to deal with temporary child care knows that most of the issues here are minimal compared to liability.

It could be run like a summer camp where the kids have programmed events. I would definitely limit the minimum age to about 8-10 though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking Ikea is just a smidgen larger corporate entity than BGG is. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't matter whether BGG could do it. It's do they want to. Derk made it clear they don't.

I think that means that for it to happen, somebody else (ie, not Derk or Aldie) would have to set it up and make the arrangements. As long as it wasn't "officially" part of BGG, I don't see why they'd care. They'd probably even let you announce it in an official forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collett
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
OOhhhhh.. Da Red Snappa! Veeerrry tasty!
badge
You sooo stupid!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
IKEA has childcare so it isn't so bold to think BGG con could do it.
I think the only real concern should be liability.
Anyone who has had to deal with temporary child care knows that most of the issues here are minimal compared to liability.

Don't you think it is a bit of a stretch to compare IKEA to BGG? A huge corporation versus a large social gathering?

Bagherra wrote:
It could be run like a summer camp where the kids have programmed events. I would definitely limit the minimum age to about 8-10 though.

This doesn't help the original poster though. IMO, if someone wanted to find a place within the Dallas area that would be willing to keep children for the BGG crowd, that would be the best. Let this be something totally separate that is not tied to BGG. This would keep any liability away from BGG plus maybe give those that want or need to bring kids can and have a place for them to go.

I am still of the opinion this whole thing is totally unnecessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing about BGG.con is that it's a drug. You're on a 24 hour a day high for 4 days. Childcare could be provided for what? 8 hours a day? That's nothing. 8 hours is gone in 8 minutes. You'll need a fix after those 8 hours. If you're forced to leave the con for any reason, even to watch your own kids, you'll resent it. That's what drugs do to you. I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old, but I know I'm going to be "high" for BGG.con so I don't want them anywhere near that. The pathetic sight of their father, disheveled, blood shot eyes, rambling and distracted, they don't need to see that. It's not pretty. Find someone to watch them at home full time, or only one of you come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
tcollett wrote:
IMO, if someone wanted to find a place within the Dallas area that would be willing to keep children for the BGG crowd, that would be the best.

Indeed, so, to those in Dallas, no any good famous childcare place around that could do it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
soblue Well, too bad "M.J." recently died, as HE'd probably have been W-A-Y too willing to "take care" of SOME of these kids, and you might even have 'profited' exponentially, from such as what sordid experiences yours underwent!

STEP 1: "M.J." "babysits"
STEP 2: !?!?!
STEP 3: PROFIT!
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I have a solution. There is an IKEA in Ft Worth, so drop your kids there and head over to BGG to play games.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
derk wrote:
Our policy on children is to eliminate undue risk from our lives, not to be exclusionary. It's just that simple.

Honestly, what more needs to be said?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tcollett wrote:

In my opinion, after my wife and I had kids, we either gave up certain things or postponed them to another time in life to when we would be able to do them in order to have children. That is just the trade-off in certain situations.

Wow, that hit the nail on the head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you all for your replies. I figured that it was pretty much too late to think about getting childcare for BGG.CON this year, but I was just curious if anyone else was interested or had thought about it. This is the last year we'd be able to go to BGG.CON because of our proximity, but we realized we wouldn't be able to attend because we have a small child. I realize the best thing to do would be to get the grandparents in to watch him, but was I said, that's not feasible. We would like to go to meet friends we have not met face-to-face. I do realize that having a child is a trade off. We knew that when we made the decision.

Again, thank you all for your comments, and I think it's clear that there isn't going to be any childcare, mainly because of Derk's comment, but others have brought up the liability issue. I don't think there is any more to discuss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.