BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Are You the Biggest Gamer in Your Family? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just read this in another thread:
Deathstroke wrote:

I was lucky - when I brought Race for the Galaxy home and showed my wife, she wanted to try it right away. That's just one of the many reasons why I love her - she's as big as a gamer as I am (and when we met, her PC game collection was bigger then mine).

That made me wonder how many others around here have a spouse, SO, or other close family member who's an avid gamer.

So, here's an invitation to let us all know about your gaming home life.

And here's a little poll to start things off:

Poll
Who are the avid gamers in your immediate family?
Me
My spouse or SO
My brother(s) or sister(s)
My mother
My father
My kid(s)
Others we consider part of the family
      258 answers
Poll created by Patrick Carroll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I am indeed the "biggest" gamer in my family. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
at 25 stone, I'm quite sure I am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

No. My girlfriend is almost an inch taller than I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferran Solà
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mb
I'm also the biggest geek in my family by far
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the biggest gamer by far. But my son is trying his best. My wife is happy to play games with us but isn't an avid gamer as such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmb
I am by far the biggest gamer in my family, I tried getting my wife into it but wasn't very successful. I sold most of my collection and now I stick to what I am most interested in which is wargames and ASL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
No doubt it's me. None of my siblings deal with this, and I blew past my parents in Chess by the time I was 12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
May I change my vote? I thought this said, "Are you the biggest GOOBER in your family." So, I voted for myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mb and mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ned Leffingwell
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the biggest gamer in my family, although my dad surprised me when he told me that he bought Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42 from his FLGS! I thought his wargaming days were done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, as of now, one person voting isn't an avid gamer.

Wrong website!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McD
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Am I the biggest gamer in my family? Try the only gamer in my family. cry

I decided about a half of a year ago that the only way to remedy this is to have kids. My wife is due in October.

I'm hoping to have him potty trained by 2, and playing games by 4. Ambitious, I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm likely the biggest gamer in my family and I checked all of them on the list except for the "Other" box. While we have always been a family of game players (party games, old MB and PB games and a few Euros witout knowing what they were), I am the one who got everyone started on Euros about two and half years ago.

I asked my wife if I should indicate that she is an "avid gamer"... she hestitated and when I decided to use "enthusiastic" as the definition for "avid" she agreed that she was. She isn't searching out games or asking me to play every night (I wish she were shake ), but she likes games and plays at least once or twice per week.

My parents probably play as many games each week as I do and I think I play a lot (averaging over 2 plays per day which includes kids' games)! They play almost daily and are both life masters in Bridge.

My two brothers play games at least once or twice per week also.

Though the one year old isn't playing much yet, my two daughters (3 & 5) play games with me several times per week. My 5 year old has invented one game that we've played at least 5 times and mentioned another game that she is thinking about today. My 3 year old asks to play a game almost every day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: g
I am also the only gamer in my family. I am pulling my brother and his fionce in as they both like Ticket To Ride (i took him to the game store for his birtday and told him to pick any game). And I'm working on the rest. I started my parents on the path by bringing home Pirates Cove, and my 10 year old brother and sister are being worked on with Carcassonne and suprisingly Dominion (they love it though they don't quite grasp the idea of the VP cards yet). I also picked up Incan Gold which I think will go over well.

Anyone have more ideas for good family games i could include? I'll get to them yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hurst
United States
Plain City
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 384 games of Race for the Galaxy and all, but one, have been with the wife. 99% have been the advanced 2-player version.

She regularly kicks my tail at Goa, Airships and Roma. I'm better at Kingsburg and Stone Age. We're pretty even at Race and Dominion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Oh please. Am I the biggest gamer in my family? Forget family! I'm the biggest gamer among the gamers I know.

Heck, I doubt most of your credentials.

Boo yah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
General Sherman says have a great day!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am the biggest everything in my family at 6'5" and 250 lbs., but am also the biggest gamer. I am fortunate, though, in that my wife took to gaming to a pretty good extent. That said, I'm still on my own for Red Star Rising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gordon
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With board games and World of Warcraft, I am definitely the biggest geek in my family!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
mb and mb

For a moment, I thought you were saying that both your wife and your lover were bigger gamers than you are, LOL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to say. Everyone in my family says no to a game sometimes and everyone suggests/delights in playing at other times. In truth, I probably say no to games more often then my husband does (probably because he's likely to ask at times when I'm exhausted and I'm unlikely to ask at times when he's overworked or busy with other stuff), but, then again, I play more games than he does. I think my daughter says no to me more than I say no to her and we probably play about the same number of games.

Within the family, my unique gaming niche is procuress and rules reader, so I'm more of the expert/organizer than the #1 fan of games. But I got into gaming looking for an activity we'd all enjoy and could engage in at any time and for any length of time, so MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmb
Dude, I'm the biggest gamer in the whole damn world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I are the only ones who play board games on a regular basis now, along with one of my cousins, but all my family, both close and extended family (cousins/grandparents), play games at every family gathering and have done for as long as I can remember, and my parents spend as much time playing Bridge as I do playing board games. When I was a child board games were played at least every week at home, if not daily, but when my sister and I moved out my parents started spending more time on Bridge, and my sister unfortunately married a non-gamer, although she has tried to convert him. I've always considered myself as coming from a family of gamers, but there are definitely different levels of "gamer" within that - I'm the only totally obsessive one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you consider a 'gamer'?

My son is as big of a gamer as I. He will play board games, his biggest passion is RPG and LARP. He is currently getting a new IFGS chapter up to snuff and consistently working on role playing stuff. To say I'm the biggest board gamer, that is true. To say the biggest gamer, perhaps it's not.

ps...he's looking forward to RPGeek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hida Mann wrote:
Dude, I'm the biggest gamer in the whole damn world.

You'd better have a talk with cosine.

As to myself, I'm the biggest gaming dilettante in my little world. But if you discount computer games and solitaire, then by my estimation there are no gamers in my family, including me.

I'm always thinking about games, reading or writing about games, buying games, dabbling at games solo, or playing games on the computer. But sitting down with my wife (or anybody) to play a game? That happens once every few months at most. And sitting down with three (or more) friends or relatives (or anybody) for a game? Once every three to five years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.