J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi there,

As I understand event cards are placed or discarded depending on their level, and encounter cards are resolved and kept/discarded as per text, and you keep drawing cards until you have a challenge.

When an event card is drawn you also refresh the "sun" locations on the board as well.

Based on this, I assume its possible to fight some of the green challenges more than once?

What happens in the case of some of the yellow challenges that have specific names like "Lady Vorkesha"?

Also, for the challenge cards that are "discard" I would assume they dont get fought again.

Sorry if this seems rather obvious, but I couldnt find anything in the rules, and because I didnt take a +1 life for ages it meant the greens did refreshed a couple of times.

TIA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never gotten all the way through a colored deck of encounters, but I have some small box expansions added in. You place cards on the bottom of the colored deck when you finish with them, so I guess they could recycle. But you'd be wasting a lot of time at lower levels if you went through a whole deck, in my opinion.

Not all the jewels refresh either. Only the ones with the starburst markings around them on the board. Not every jewel refreshes on events. Were you doing that correctly? With the limited amount of events, and limited refreshing from those events, it seems it would be tough to get completely through a deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for that, I ended up with the whiteblade ("Before combat, activate to attempt a melee attack, if sccessful do 3 hearts damage") and started with Mordrog who has 5 melee, raising his melee 3 times got me to 11 which is enough to need low rolls against greens (and some yellows) and 3 hearts is enough to kill any green.

And yes, was only refreshing the starbursts on events, and as far as I can tell, the 'basic' runebound all events refresh the starbursts.

With that said, I wasnt playing any variants.

Again, thanks, it did seem like a slightly odd state of affairs but didnt feel confident enough to tackle the higher level monsters too early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are playing solo, I strongly suggest you use Mr Skeletor's Guide to playing Runebound solo. Look for it in the files in the game entry. Adds a countdown mechanic when playing by yourself and helps make some cards more useful since there aren't any other players.

Runebound is much fun. It sounds like you had a character that I would have been on blue level with by the time you're talking about. Take some chances on higher level encounters a little earlier next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did the leg work for you, Mr. Skeletor's rules:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/122763

I also suggest this threat track, print it and (preferably) laminate it for durability:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/17665

And the Warbringer25's Cities of Adventure Variant (now in color!):
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/24306

I swear by these things and promise they will make Runebound much, much better than it already is. The threat rules add needed tension and urgency to the game (and even have varying difficulty), Mr. Skeletor's rules make soloing more of a pleasure and I'm fond of the way that threat track looks but you can find others (or even make your own). The Cities of Adventure variant is well written and makes visiting towns more interesting and just makes the game richer overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.