Japan
Abiko
Chiba Prefecture
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this game last week with 3.
According to the scenario, starting area should be selected from Virginia, Pennsilvania, and Louisianna. But, the former 2 areas are located on the East coast and adjacent. This greatly favors Louisianna.
I feel that these starting areas are not appropriate.
Is there any other method for selecting starting areas for 3 players ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter Maxwell
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Kontor that Counting Office!
badge
Kontor that Counting Office!
mbmbmbmbmb
For all my complaints about MD, Louisiana being greatly favored over Virg. and Penn. in a 3-player game is not one of them. I don't happen to agree that Louisiana's isolation creates a distinct advantage (Mexico in a 4-player game is another story). It has a low-value home product, a Westward Ho barrier immediately to the West, and the first territories beyond that barrier don't pay until Era 3. Compare that to the Virginia player's almost automatic $60 payout during cardplay of Turn 2!

Anyway, if you won't be dissuaded that it is vastly more valuable, I would change to a system where you openly auction each home territory, starting with Louisiana. That way, if it truly is worth, say, $20 more than the others, players will have to bid closer to its real value to get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt that the player that starts the game with a NATIVE SOVEREIGNTY or HUDSON BAY card is interested in Louisiana, Really, how effectively you can use your starting hand with the starting territory you have is much more important that whether or not you are on the coast or have another player immediately adjacent to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Lol, this is groupthink. I played a game of this where one of the players tried a Risk-like strat. He lost, badly! The rest of us were looking at him and saying 'what are you doing'. Combat is going to happen but it will usually be limited in scope. If the VA and Penn players feuded most the game leaving the LA player to run amok, they both deserved to lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Sudy
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
I agree with the response that I'd rather have a good payout as PA or VA (with the right card). Also, there are other ways to get to the West (e.g. Oregon Trail). In any case, the game is more often won on either the Breakthroughs, or board position for Era 3 commodities, than on Era 1 expansion. It is usually bad play for PA and VA to get in a shooting war the first two turns. Regarding Native Sovereignty (NS), one strategy with NS is to take Louisiana, play the Profit game, and sit on NS, both protecting your own profit and putting a crimp on Virginia's game. Hudson Bay is not in play for 3-player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.