Subject: Hopes pinned on the reprint rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just after playing 2 more games of TS in Wargameroom and yet again another 2 victories for the USSR...

I'm really hoping this 'deluxe' reprint with its 6 new 'optional' cards and 2 IPs in Canada will manage to redress some semblance of balance into the game,

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
In the over 100 games I've played, there is a slight skew to the Soviets.

Based on AREA ratings, in straight up play, the Soviets win about 2/3 of the time.

In the ITSL set up (3 more ip for USA), the Soviets win about 60% of the time.

With the Chinese Civil War Variant, in the 6 games I've played, the USSR is 2-4, i.e. 33% win rate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the tournaments I've played, participants bid political influence to choose sides. This is a great balance. Alternatively, have players swap sides.

Either way, the game is too fun to play even with the slight imbalance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I enjoy the challenge of playing America. I like the 2IP in Canada in the upcoming edition. I've played several games with the American player getting 9IP anywhere in Western Europe instead of 7. That also worked well. CCW is an interesting variant but at the end of the day, we're talking about small tweaks to an incredible game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tali Urulu
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Having played only a few games, I am curious to know how often play of the Aldrich Ames card in particular seems to have a significant effect on the outcome of a game.

I ask the question because nothing I have read supports the almost Superman-like qualities attributed to Ames by the card, even if Ames is intended to represent all the moles within the the US government during the Cold War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of the Chinese Civil War variant since all it seems to do is take the card out of the game. Most USSR players just don't bother to invest 3 IPs to get the China card, and it's a shame because the China card swapping hands is a fun aspect of the game.

The ITSL variant - what's this precisely? The USA get 3 additional IPs to place... where?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the ACTS tournament I play in the USA gets 3 Ips at start to place anywhere he already has influence (including places he put his 7 European ips in). There is a further restriction that he cannot place more influence in a country than is needed to control it.

Seems to work alright. 2 US influence in Canada would have very little effect in most games I would think, unless there was a really big battle for Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
2 US influence in Canada would have very little effect in most games I would think, unless there was a really big battle for Europe.

Unless that is, one of the new cards is a USSR card that challenges control of Canada...

I do like the 3 IP variant. It seems like a good compromise.

Perhaps the new USA cards in the reprint will help a little?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add some data to Philip's comment, the ACTS tournament is pretty much 50:50 US:USSR wins with well over 100 games played (that's with the 3 extra IP for the US at the start - clean easy and seems to work well). For what it's worth, personally (admittedly with only about 40 games played, about 25 as the US and 15 as the USSR) I've never lost as the US (mostly with set-up rules as written) whereas I've only won half to two thirds of my games as the USSR so I always have a hard time believing the US has a problem!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Tali Urulu III wrote:
Having played only a few games, I am curious to know how often play of the Aldrich Ames card in particular seems to have a significant effect on the outcome of a game.

Less than you'd think actually.

Is Aldrich a pain in the backside? Yes.
Has play of the Ames card caused the US player to lose? Yes.

It's key to remember that the Soviets player needs to have the card in hand and then to maximize his effectiveness to play it as a headline with the certainty of no Defectors or else at best play it as the opening salvo in a turn.

Plus, he's only available in the late war.

If the US player has Ames, there are lots of ways to neutralize him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I have played the game several times and find both sides are equally matched unless on the random chance that one player gets truly terrible card draws. The USA is tough in the beginning and rightly so historically because they were playing catchup with the Soviets, but if the US player hangs on and fights it out, they can pull off a narrow win. I mean VERY narrow because the Soviet player has many opportunities to change the situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.