Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Haas
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's do the tiiiiime warp agaaaaain...

I bought Khronos on a total whim while working at my local hobby store (I'm a sucker for Steampunk-themed games), and after a quick read of BGG's review I decided to pick it up. I was pleasantly surprised and it is now the most played game with my gaming friends; we have probably played 30 or so games of it since last year.

The Game Itself: In Khronos, you play a real estate magnate in a pseudo-French Steampunk setting, in convenient possession of a time machine and with a desire to dominate the real estate market in the past and future. In BGG terms, it is a tile-laying game combined with territory control and a smattering of time travel.

The game is always seven turns long, with money collection happening on the end of your phase of the 4th and 7th turns, with the winner being the one with the most money (called Ecu's) at the end. To this end, you can three types of buildings: Civil, Religious, and Military. The board itself is divided into three identical time periods, each representing the same place at three points in time: The Age of Might (aesthetically, it evokes the Middle Ages with a Knight as its icon), the Age of Faith (evoking the Renaissance with a Bishop as its icon), and finally the Age of Reason (reminds me of the Enlightenment).

Buildings are constructed by drawing resource cards from the deck, which correspond to the types of buildings available to construct. Your 'pawns' can travel around in time, allowing you to build or perform actions in up to two of the three time periods at once. The three periods are also on a contiguous timeline: if you build a building in the Age of Might (the Past), it will 'ripple forward' in time, appearing in both the Age of Faith and Reason. You can manipulate and destroy other player's building, which will sometimes remove them from future time periods. Eventually, you can pick only two time periods to collect from. The Ages of Might and Faith are safer, but generally yield less cash. The Age of Reason is more chaotic and risky, but will net you more money on average. The game is best played with 4-5 people, but works fine with 3.

Board and Pieces: The artwork for the game is fantastic, with a nice Steampunk/Clockwork look to everything. The building tiles are thick cardboard, but are sturdy and look nice. The board is similarly constructed, and the box is fully colored with nice compartments for keeping pieces in order.

Rules: The rules are a bit of a doozy for most people. The basic rules for the game are simple, but some of the building interaction rules are fairly complex and require careful reading of the rules. The first game is always hard, but especially so with Khronos. Afterwards, the rules become largely innate and the game will flow smoothly. Basically, it is a hard game for beginners, but most BGGeeks here shouldn't have too much problem with it. The game has almost no luck involved, only in drawing cards from the resource deck, and even then there are only three different cards (try not to cry too much, Eurogamers). I also highly recommend the optional rule that adds a communal set of cards that can be traded in.

Finally, my favorite element of the game...

Bootstraps: One of my favorite parts of this game is the fact that it plays like a Eurogame, but has a strong adversarial element to it. Especially later in the game, it becomes a constant balance between going for more money or trying to limit or hurt your opponents. Alliances are virtually impossible, giving it a strong all vs. all feel where you defeat everyone else on your own. Like any good game about predatory capitalism, pulling yourself up by your bootstraps is key.

In Conclusion: Khronos is a very good game that combines many Eurogame aspects with a stronger adversarial element and some interesting time travel dynamics. Complicated rules and abstract strategy may be a turn-off for some people.

Overall, I give it an 8.5/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For learning the game, the online tutorial at: http://www.matagot.com/khronos/tutorial/ is quite helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward B
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this still in print? I've always wanted to play, but was never sure where to buy it from or if it was still around. Does anyone know anywhere were I can buy it (bear in mind I'm from the UK)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kidd
Ireland
Templemore
Tipperary
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamelore have it, and it's on sale too: http://www.gameslore.com/acatalog/PR_Khronos_Board_Game.html

It's the 1st edition though... They did have the seperate upgrade pack to 2nd edition, but that seems to be out of stock now. That said, there's not a huge difference between 1st and 2nd editions, just a few rule tweaks and some extra cards to make the game flow smoother. 1st is definitely very playable and enjoyable as it is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward B
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rancemeister wrote:
Gamelore have it, and it's on sale too: http://www.gameslore.com/acatalog/PR_Khronos_Board_Game.html

It's the 1st edition though... They did have the seperate upgrade pack to 2nd edition, but that seems to be out of stock now. That said, there's not a huge difference between 1st and 2nd editions, just a few rule tweaks and some extra cards to make the game flow smoother. 1st is definitely very playable and enjoyable as it is...

Thanks a lot! Hopefully GamesLore keeps it in stock, as I just bought Traders & Barbarians which has masses of expansions in, so it should keep me busy for the rest of the Summer. I'll probably get it in the Autumn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kuster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review for one of my favorite games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M T
Belgium
Kessel-Lo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peads wrote:
Is this still in print? I've always wanted to play, but was never sure where to buy it from or if it was still around. Does anyone know anywhere were I can buy it (bear in mind I'm from the UK)?

i bought it last week here for only 13,5€
http://www.spiele-offensive.de/index.php?cmd=suchergebnis&su...

they send it to europe. (from germany to belgium it was only 4€ shipment. it arrived today)

its with the german-rule-book, but for only 14€ i'm willing to print the english rulebook from bgg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I'm currently considering that same shop.
They are great with postage I must ad.
Some other german shops may charge upto 16 euros for postage thoes making games rather expensive.

So you enjoying this game?
I'm still trying to figure out how it works, I mean the whole 3 board game and the thing with the buildings.
If you build on one board do they appear on all?
Or do you use boards one at a time and transfer the buildings to the next board every time.

As you see I haven't really grasped how it works.
the tutorial is great but only shows a littel to wet your appetite, real pity that.
If it had showed more I could have decided to buy it by now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.