Goa» Forums » General

Subject: The New Goa On BGG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dylan Shakespeare
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been interested in Goa for a long time now (it's more like watering-at-the-mouth), and I hear that when the new Goa comes out in 2010, it will have some rule changes, which Rüdiger Dorn says are better.
My question is: will BGG have a separate game entry for the new Goa because of the rule changes? Or will we have to just disregard all of the negative comments and reviews about the flaws? I don't like being told that the game is worse than it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koby Shachar
Israel
Rehovot
flag msg tools
It says: Love thy gamer
badge
I have nothing smart to say... yet
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should address the publisher to have the new game a new name, something like The Return to Goa
or
if Traders of Genoa changed to Genoa
maybe Goa will change to Traders of Goa...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt that the rule changes (I have no idea what they might be as I haven't read up much on the so-called flaws of this game) would be significant enough to warrant a new entry.

I must get my copy out and have a go again - I played a couple of games but they felt quite lengthy and we sort of didn't get back to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested to know if the rules changes will involve a component change too. I would be disappointed if they did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Rüdiger Dorn mentions possibly adding dice to it in the thread at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/381155.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but dice to reduce the randomness, not increase it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Minkoff
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Dum, Dum, Dum dum dum, Dum!
badge
"Money isn't everything, but it's a tie-breaker in Power Grid!"
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't seem physically possible to use dice to reduce the randomness of the cards. Every dice roll is distinctly unique, with the odds basically "resetting" for every roll. With cards, the odds of a number coming up is reduced by the quantity of that number already drawn and out of the pool. The cards enforce the intended odds distribution. Of course this is only true if the dice are to be used for the "colonist" number on the bottom of the cards. That's all I can really see them being used for...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When Mr. Dorn said reduce randomness, I take it that he meant reduce bad randomness.
Dice have no memory--which would be an advantage in Goa. Currently, if I fail to settle a colony through bad luck; by virtue of that bad luck, everyone else in that table will have better luck. Dice would remove that problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Augustyn
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
I think the answer to your question is: BGG will have separate entries for each edition.

For example:

Arkham Horror 2005: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15987
Arkham Horror 1987: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/34

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.