Subject: Can you play FC solitaire? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in Fed Commander, but how well does it play solitaire? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It doesn't really play well solitaire. But ... there are robot rules published, that will control an "enemy" ship. And there are a handful of solitaire scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Daves
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it plays as well solitaire as many two player wargames. There isn't any hidden information involved, so it's up to the player to play both sides balanced (or in line with some pre-game strategy). It is slower since you're handling twice as many ships as normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Except that there aren't really alternating turns here. Movement is simultaneous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Daves
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's as simultaneous as a two player game with each player controlling multiple ships. Maybe there's technically some fudging of the timing rules going on, but I've found solitaire games almost as good as playing against an opponent. As I said, it's up to the player to play both sides evenly - if you can't do that, I doubt there's any two player game that works solitaire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obsolete Man
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find FedCom to be a lot like chess, actually. It has a lot to do with maneuvering, achieving optimal firing position and outfoxing your opponent in the process. As such I think that solitaire potential is limited, but there are some things you can do with it.

At least one of the monster scenarios, the Space Ameoba, works as a solitaire (the monster's movement is programmed and it is any number of players vs. the creature... the wrinkle being that you have to study it with your labs and then roll to see what its weakness is!). There are also the "robot rules" mentioned above... a series of instructions for flying an enemy ship according to dice rolls and set parameters. These activities can be good practice.

For that matter, you can always fly "practice missions" against stationary targets, navigating through obstacles, etc. The kinds of things a captain might have to do in a simulator.

The game really shines, though, when you're facing real opponents and engaged in a tense battle of wits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there really only the one space monster in FC? The original game that spun this off, Star Fleet Battles: Captain's Edition Basic Set, had at least a half dozen space monsters that were entirely 'programmed'. I think maybe actually a full dozen with all the scenarios published? Certainly, quite a huge number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
These are the solitaire scenarios that I have listed:

CRUISE DRONES (8CM3) Communique #9
CRUISE DRONES (8CM9) Communique #15
INTRUDER ALERT (8CM7) Communique #13
RAID ON A MINING PLANET (8B106) Briefing #1
RESCUE THE CHERENKOV (8B114) Briefing #1
SPACE AMOEBA (8RA10) Romulan Attack
Dakota Incident (8CM30) Communique #42

There are several other monsters, but not all have solo-rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obsolete Man
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Is there really only the one space monster in FC? The original game that spun this off, Star Fleet Battles: Captain's Edition Basic Set, had at least a half dozen space monsters that were entirely 'programmed'. I think maybe actually a full dozen with all the scenarios published? Certainly, quite a huge number.

There are a bunch of monsters (generally, each border set or expansion introduces a new monster) but the Space Amoeba is the only one I know of that is a solitaire/cooperative scenario. In the other ones, one player gets to be the monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

Have any additional solitaire scenarios been published since July 2009?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
United States
Genoa City
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
Hi everyone,

Have any additional solitaire scenarios been published since July 2009?

Thanks.

I found a set of Robot Rules for playing a Klingon or Kzinti ship as a robot, geekmail me with your email address and I can send them to you if you want (I haven't tried them yet ,still waiting on this game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Severs
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
im having FAR too much fun playing this game solo, so go for it dude!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Johnson
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the Robot Rules for FC:
http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/Commanders%20Circle...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.