Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a fun session tonight. Three veterans, three newbies. In turn order: "Helo" (veteran), "Boomer" (me), "Chief" (newbie), Baltar (veteran/President), "Starbuck" (newbie), Bill Adama (newbie/Admiral).

First jump went quite smoothly for the humans. The starting raiders just circled around Galactica as Starbuck went out to greet them and we moved the civilian ships into safe ground with the vipers. The crisis cards were mostly options, with lots of skill cards getting discarded to avoid negative effects. The jump icon came up on every card and the fleet took off without anyone even having to take a shot. Admiral took us 3 steps at the cost of some fuel but got to make a roll to add some food.

Second jump took a little longer, but no Cylon attack cards came out. Skill checks were dealt with pretty well, but food and morale took a bit of a hit. President Baltar decided that Boomer was acting odd and used an acquired opportunity to view her loyalty card. Baltar declares that Boomer is a loyal human. Some open speculation that Baltar with his 2 loyalty cards is protecting an ally, but nobody's doing anything to draw any serious suspicion on themselves. The crew also needed to make sure something was in the red before the sympathizer was revealed on the next jump, so fuel was manipulated to drop to 4. The fleet then jumped, a distance of 1, costing another single fuel.

Sleeper phase cards are dealt. Boomer gets two additional cards and heads off to the brig. Baltar reveals his sympathizer card and also heads off to the brig. The crew decides that's too many people in the brig and decides to play the odds, getting Baltar out since Boomer had just received two new cards and nobody had really stood out yet. Boomer realized her chances of getting out of the brig were pretty slim, so decided to use her one time ability during Adama's turn to force a bad choice on his crisis card, knocking some population down and putting a boarding party on the ship.

As Boomer spent Helo's turn mocking the crew from her cozy cell, Helo went to work attacking the centurion. Sadly, some strategic planning allowed it to be taken out almost immediately. Boomer pouted a little then spent her turn making it official and showing up at the resurrection ship, wondering how to best accomplish her goal.

With one cylon revealed, Baltar went to work trying to track down the other. He decided to use his one time ability to check out Helo's cards and immediately declared him to be human. Things were not looking great for Boomer, as they were narrowing down who the other toaster was, but fortunately a basestar conveniently showed up, followed by another a couple of turns later. This, of course, left the crew with other things to worry about at the moment. Adama launched a nuke at it but was only able to deliver two damage points. Boomer's next turn came around and made the choice not to activate the enormous cylon fleet now circling Galactica, but instead to re-sow some discontent by passing one of her loyalty cards to the previously-cleared Helo. This was the beginning of the end.

Baltar, infuriated, spent his turn using his presidential quorum powers to have Helo immediately thrown in the Brig. Starbuck then took 8 shots at the damaged basestar with her viper, missing every time. However, her crisis card took the fleet to the first FTL-eligible space on the jump track, with 8 population still available. Adama immediately went to FTL to get out of there and the fleet jumped. The humans thought disaster had been averted, but then the old man made his move. He announced his destination as a 1-hop planet (bringing them to only 5) with a 2-fuel loss, bringing the fuel to a precarious 1. He then drew a crisis card that allowed him to send somebody to the brig on a successful skill check. He dumped his whole hand into it and sent Starbuck off to cool in the brig.

The next turn was Helo's, who was already in the brig thanks to Baltar. He tried to give the crew a chance by playing an executive order on Baltar but it was too little too late. The next turn was Boomer's, and with Helo and Starbuck both sitting in the brig and herself holding the Incoming Nukes super crisis, it was all over. The humans only mustered a total of 6 of the 15 required to pass. Fuel dropped to zero and the cylons (Boomer and Adama) celebrated.

For a newbie player, I thought our Adama did a fantastic job. He had been dealt his Cylon card on the first deal, and managed to draw hardly any suspicion despite making a huge jump early to force a quick sympathizer rush, then slow fuel-eating jumps from that point on. He also chose a great point to make his move and get half the humans secured in the brig going into his partner's turn. I (Boomer) didn't get my cylon card until the sleeper phase, but since I always half-play as a cylon anyway, especially with Boomer, I had put myself in a decent position.

All participants enjoyed the session quite a bit. Definitely got quite animated at times, especially with our very vocal Baltar player. Man, I love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report, you might have misread the destination card though, since there is no 1 distance -2 fuel card. Are you sure it wasn't a Tylium planet (which might gain you two fuel?

Otherwise it sounds like a good session, and the one fuel probably wouldn't have made the difference anyway, since jumping three distance without losing any fuel is nigh impossible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going by memory. It might have been a 2 distance. It definitely was a -2 fuel, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting strategy for Adama. It is difficult to be that patient, especially if the humans seem to be doing well. Kudos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.