Ciaran McCann
United Kingdom
Belfast
Nothern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far seems like a great game however two queries;

What is the significance of the note in the rules about the bridge tiles;

"..ships that stand on map tiles that have land segments connected by bridges can be counted for either direction"

I don't see that it makes any difference; i.e. if there is a ship on the tile you count it for voyaging and it is adjacent to any tile touching it in any direction!?!

Can I attack over land from a tile that is adjacent to the target but not connected by land directly but is via a bridge tile that is also adjacent to the target and is connected by land.

Wanted to include a pic but dont see how to upload one to the forum post?!?

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Echeverria
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kihon wrote:
What is the significance of the note in the rules about the bridge tiles;

"..ships that stand on map tiles that have land segments connected by bridges can be counted for either direction"

I don't see that it makes any difference; i.e. if there is a ship on the tile you count it for voyaging and it is adjacent to any tile touching it in any direction!?!

You are correct. It seem the rule is just trying to clarify that the bridge does not restrict a ship's ability to voyage to a tile on the other side of the bridge.

Kihon wrote:
Can I attack over land from a tile that is adjacent to the target but not connected by land directly but is via a bridge tile that is also adjacent to the target and is connected by land.

Yup. Greeks can cross bridges to attack with no penalty.

I enjoy this game as well! Just wish the cards had better translations and that it was a bit shorter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran McCann
United Kingdom
Belfast
Nothern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Worked out how to get a pic into the forum thread. I uploaded it to my gallery and then put in the pic ID in the post; is that the proper way of doing it.
Anyway for clarity here is the situation I was trying to describe. Is this what you had pictured?

All three of whites tiles are adjacent to reds tile but the temple tile is seperated by water. However whites tiles make up one continuous land mass via the bridge. So as whites temple tile is adjacent and is connected to a continuous land mass can white attack red over land from the temple tile via the bridge tile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Echasketch wrote:
I enjoy this game as well! Just wish the cards had better translations

Yep, too bad the card text is so lamely ambiguous. Hellas FAQ may help.
Quote:
and that it was a bit shorter.

The game length directly depends on players' decisions. There was some forum post where people complained about the game taking forever, but they never voyaged, and just kept capturing hexes back and forth from each other. The more voyaging, the faster the game will end. The game never takes us more than 20 or 30 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Echeverria
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
So as whites temple tile is adjacent and is connected to a continuous land mass can white attack red over land from the temple tile via the bridge tile?

I think I see the confusion now. The white greek on the temple tile cannot attack via land because he would have to cross water to attack the city. You can only attack a city from adjacent tiles. Whether an attack is by land or by water is determined by looking at the connection between the target tile and each adjacent tile (from which you're sending greeks). If any of the greeks you are sending have to cross water to get to the adjacent target tile, then the whole attack is considered over water (and you need plus one greek to win). In your case you could only attack from the Temple tile and that greek would have to cross water to attack. Alternatively, you could do a Burst of Strength and then reposition your greek from the temple tile to one of the adjacent land tiles.

Quote:
The game length directly depends on players' decisions. There was some forum post where people complained about the game taking forever, but they never voyaged, and just kept capturing hexes back and forth from each other. The more voyaging, the faster the game will end. The game never takes us more than 20 or 30 minutes.

As for the speed of the game, voyaging definitely helps and I also believe it's the best way to win. I'm just saying that sometimes I find myself voyaging for the sake of a quicker game (to move it along so to speak) even if it's not the optimal thing to do at the time. Still a very fun game. One of the few, (relatively) quick euro-wargames out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Echasketch wrote:
Whether an attack is by land or by water is determined by looking at the connection between the target tile and each adjacent tile (from which you're sending greeks). If any of the greeks you are sending have to cross water to get to the adjacent target tile, then the whole attack is considered over water (and you need plus one greek to win). In your case you could only attack from the Temple tile and that greek would have to cross water to attack.
Sorry for bumping this thread, but I understand that the English rules are ambiguous on this, no? Here is the relevant quote (Rio Grande edition):
Quote:
He now may attack from all his cities that have direct routes over adjacent connected land segments to the attacked city.
I understand that you only need a "route" possible through multiple tiles, not a direct land-land connection; this is also the interpretation from some playing aids, I understand. It is also easy to imagine a simpler wording, if only a direct land-land connection was required ("that share an edge with land"…). Furthermore, the idea that a route is enough for a land attack is consistent with the official Rio Grande ruling for the Ares card that allows one to attack from a non-adjacent city (the attack is considered by land if there is a land route from the non-adjacent city in addition to the usual land attack constraints).

The French rules are ambiguous: the attack can come from all the adjacent tiles with a "common land strip/mass" ("bande de terre commune").

I can't find the original German rules online, but it would be interesting to know what they say! Anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
See my answer on the other thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/14018943#14018943

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.