Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Schwerdtfeger
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy of Memoir 44 should be in the mail tomorrow. Over the next few weeks, I expect to play a lot of the scenarios with my son. When we get through those, where do we turn? Is there an order to the expansions that makes sense (i.e., simple to difficult)? I know Memoir isn't tough (I've played a fair amount of Battlelore), but my son is only 8, so I want to try to approach it in the right way.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Not particularly, but I'd suggest:

Eastern
Pacific
Air Pack
Terrain
Campaign Book
Mediterranean
Overlord stuff

Optional: Winter/Desert Board
I'd ignore the Knapsack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
These are the big questions:

Do you get the Air Pack first or last?

There are a few people who don't like the Air Pack, but aside from them, it is a question of when, not if, to get the Air Pack. On one hand, it adds an extra level of depth, which sometimes it feels like the game needs. On the other hand, it breathes new life into scenarios you have already played.
If you feel like you need the game to be more complex right now, or you don't think you are ever going to want to play a scenario more than once or twice, get the Air Pack first. If you like the game as it stands already, and you think you'll want to revisit some or all of the old scenarios, get the Air Pack last. You'll appreciate replaying some of the scenarios you have already played with the new consideration of the air rules.

Do you want more options or less?

This question is really about in what order do you get Eastern Front and Pacific Theater. Eastern Front is about coping with disadvantages. The Russians get lots of troops, but they are always coping with disadvantages. You have limited options and you have to make the best of them. Pacific Theater is totally reversed. The USMC and Japanese both have extra advantages, so each player has a new set of things to try. I haven't really looked at the Mediterranean Theater yet, so I'm not sure how it fits in.

As far as the other stuff:
Get the Eastern Front before the Campaign Book. The book has three campaigns, but you need the Eastern Front for one of them.
I would get the Terrain Pack sooner rather than later, but it doesn't add a lot in and of itself. It's nice to have, especially with the Air Pack or if you have any interest in making your own scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, time to explain:

OP asked for simplest to more difficult.

I think Eastern is simpler than Pacific.

Air Pack has additional rules.

Terrain pack should be sooner if cost is not an issue. But if it is, then you really don't get many scenarios with the Terrain Pack, whereas the other packs open up a large range of additional scenarios. So yes, you may want this after Pacific.

Med is debatable when to get it. But as Air Pack doesn't require it, I'd pick up Air Pack First.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I first bought the basic set, quickly followed by Eastern Expansion and Winter/Desert Board, because I could get it at a discount.

Then I played a bit and wondered how I should go on. Luckily the Campaign Book I came out and I decided that this was the right thing for us.

So I bought the Book, Terrain Pack and Air Pack, cause that where the two to fully play the Campaign book.

If you rather want to play with lots of folks on board that barely fits a table: jump on the overlord train.

My verdict: the Air Pack is a must! Don't by it late, buy it as soon as possible. It is a reference to all sets and I really love the Air Rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say get Air and Terrain first. The Air pack has the addtional benefit of a great manual with over 60 updated scenarios.

Then the Operation Overlord expansion and the Map packs.

Then the regional expansions and the campaign book.

Doing it this way, each step will significantly expand your playing experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the campaign bag should be skipped.

Just buy two of everything and be done with it

You'll only need one of Operation Overlord, Tiger's in the Snow and Hedgerow Hell.

It should only set you back maybe $350-$400 with shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I would put these 3 on equal footing. Everyone has their own personal preference and I would encourage you to get the one that appeals to you most (Mine would be PT, then MT, then EF):

Memoir '44: Eastern Front
Memoir '44: Pacific Theater
Memoir '44: Mediterranean Theater

After that, depends what you want to do. If you are big into designing your own scenarios, Memoir '44: Terrain Pack is a must. But it doesn't add a whole lot except eye candy if you don't design your own. Adds a lot of terrain that can be added but all of the terrain can be substituted if need be.

Memoir '44: Air Pack is kind of like a base game version 2.0. It is a good add but you aren't going to appreciate the differences until you have played a lot of the base game and have most of the other expansions. Air Pack also elevated the Terrain Pack as it utilizes a lot more of the terrain in the updated versions of the scenarios.

Memoir '44: Winter/Desert Board Map is also eye candy. You should get it if you go with either Eastern Front or Med-Theater. The Air Pack also uses it a bit more than the standard base game.

Overlord is a tricky situation. DOW could have made Memoir '44: Operation Overlord an expansion a home run but they opted for the sacrifice fly instead. I feel you are better off buying a 2nd game. Why? You always have the option to split out and run 2 games at a game night and, even better, host a mini-tourney. Plus, you don't have to mix and match plastic pieces with cardboard tokens.

Unfortunately, it will cost you a lot to double up on the other expansions (EF, PT, MT, W/D) just to play all 5 Overlord scenarios. On the other hand, you have the versatility to play all the fan-created OL scenarios and keep your options open if they ever produce more OL.

On the other hand, Operation Overlord keeps it cheaper for you in that it gives you all the cardbnoard tokens you need to play the full OL game so you can save money on purchasing EF, PT, and MT a 2nd time. it also has the benefit of giving yo a revised deck for OL. (Each deck from two games works as well, but some cards are modified to play OL, so this deck removes the guess work and constant look-up).

The downside is a 2nd board is not included (they included it with BattleLore Epic, the BL "overlord"). So in order to play, you still need a 2nd board - or go pay too much for a paper map: Memoir '44: Hedgerow Hell. The downside of the paper map is it is pre-printed and can only be used for 2 scenarios. So while Operation OL will save you money over purchasing a 2nd set of everything, it will cost you more int he long run as you have to pay for each scenario you want to play.

So the choice is yours. Personally, I went with the 2 of everything option (with the exception of only 1 Air Pack). I am also getting the Operation Overlord basically for the revised rules and card deck....and it was cheaper to get that through the organizaed play promotion on DOW's site.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
I agree that the campaign bag should be skipped.

Just buy two of everything and be done with it

You'll only need one of Operation Overlord, Tiger's in the Snow and Hedgerow Hell.

It should only set you back maybe $350-$400 with shipping.

You failed to tell him where to buy, so you get your bonus for getting him to buy all stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Reed
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm also teaching my 8 yr old. I would agree with ColtsFan76. I bought te base, AP, & EF. The Commisar rule in EF did not excite my 8yr old, but just like the tactic cards, you leave them out til he gets more comfortable.

I probably could've held off on the airpack, again because I'm not sure how he'll pick up the air rules...though he does like the planes! I'm OK with the purchase, I could've waited a bit on it till I've played more base scenarios. Also, just plan on buying the Terrain Pack at the same time as the AP, simply because the terrain will add to the updated scenarios.

Study all the posts describing each Theatre pack and decide which one has the chrome that would most appeal. Though, if you've got $350-$450 burning a hole burnin' a hole then buy it all up! And if you've got $900 burnin' a hole, then send me half so I can buy it all up!

I just played 3 games of Overlord. Good times. The maps do limit you, but setup time is so much faster. But we also had a second set so we weren't using cardboard troops. But for you, Overlord can wait. Although it could be fun with the right group of kids.

Good luck with your 8 yr old!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To prove your devotion to the system you must paint all the miniatures too... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
To prove your devotion to the system you must paint all the miniatures too... shake

This is one game where my anal retentiveness to paint every miniature does NOT kick in. Army men are SUPPOSED to be one-color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.