Pseudo Pserious
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
CLAP CLAP CLAP-CLAP-CLAP!
badge
I dislike the Canadiens. (The hockey team, that is, not people from Canada in general.)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Secret Weapon is a Hunter Event that lets you swap an item with an item of your choice from the discard pile after an encounter is revealed.

The card wrote:
Play this card after Dracula reveals an encounter in your location but before it takes effect. Discard 1 Item card to search the Item discard pile and take any 1 Item card of your choice.


Are you allowed to play Secret Weapon when you are about to fight Dracula?

No. Dracula is not an encounter -- encounters are the little square cardboard tokens.

No. Dracula is an encounter, but this encounter is not "revealed"; it just happens.

Yes. Going by the description of a Hunter's Action Phase (p. 14-15), starting combat with Dracula is considered an encounter. Thus, before the encounter starts, you can play Secret Weapon.

Cheers,
PP
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Going by your wording (that is, not pulling out my set to check the wording on the card itself), no, you couldn't. You would have to play the Secret Weapon in response to the encounter being revealed, and Dracula himself is not an encounter.

However, when the encounter is revealed, you already know that Dracula is in the same city (because the location card is revealed too), in you could use your Secret Weapon card in response to the encounter at that location and get yourself an item that is useful against Dracula, rather than against the encounter.

Unless for some reason the encounter has been removed already, in which case you are flat out of luck.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pseudo Pserious
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
CLAP CLAP CLAP-CLAP-CLAP!
badge
I dislike the Canadiens. (The hockey team, that is, not people from Canada in general.)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wraith wrote:
Going by your wording (that is, not pulling out my set to check the wording on the card itself), no, you couldn't.


Sorry about that -- I was lazy. I've added the card text to the original post.

Cheers,
PP
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zsolt Nagy
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Dracula considered an encounter himself or not? This question is splitting the gaming folks of FoD for a long while and there is no direct answer on it so far.

An implicit indication was given in the FAQ at the Forewarned card, stating that Dracula is not considered an encounter for the Forewarned card. That implies that he is considered an encounter for other points.

If you run into Dracula in a city you have to fight him and can't rest/resupply/trade. Dracula's presence has the same effect as the encounter.

Based on those above we play that Secret Weapon is useable before a fight with Dracula and it did not broke the game for us (after 50+ games). But you can decide the other way. I guess the only important point is to agree on this before the game starts, so everybody has the same understanding.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pseudo Pserious
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
CLAP CLAP CLAP-CLAP-CLAP!
badge
I dislike the Canadiens. (The hockey team, that is, not people from Canada in general.)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nagypapi wrote:
Does Dracula considered an encounter himself or not? This question is splitting the gaming folks of FoD for a long while and there is no direct answer on it so far.

An implicit indication was given in the FAQ at the Forewarned card, stating that Dracula is not considered an encounter for the Forewarned card. That implies that he is considered an encounter for other points.

If you run into Dracula in a city you have to fight him and can't rest/resupply/trade. Dracula's presence has the same effect as the encounter.

Based on those above we play that Secret Weapon is useable before a fight with Dracula and it did not broke the game for us (after 50+ games). But you can decide the other way. I guess the only important point is to agree on this before the game starts, so everybody has the same understanding.


Thank you! I knew I had read that something that strongly implied that fighting Dracula was an encounter, but I couldn't remember where. Here's the quote:

The FFG FAQ wrote:
Encountering Dracula
If a Hunter enters Dracula’s current location, the Hunter may not rest, resupply, or trade that turn. However, Dracula himself does not count as an encounter for the purpose of Forewarned.


Admittedly, there are two interpretations for this:

- Dracula is not an encounter. The key sentence is the first one: this entry is to clarify that the Hunter can not rest, resupply, or trade after fighting Dracula. Only Forewarned is mentioned, but other cards could have been included as well.

- Dracula is an encounter. The key sentence is the second one: this entry is to clarify that Forewarned can not be used to avoid fighting Dracula.

Cheers,
PP
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
PseudoPserious wrote:
Yes. Going by the description of a Hunter's Action Phase (p. 14-15), starting combat with Dracula is considered an encounter. Thus, before the encounter starts, you can play Secret Weapon.

If you go with this interpretation, you get all sorts of nonsensical results - like trying to return Dracula to the cup, for example. Those sections of the rules really should have been worded better (there isn't a clear indication of exactly when combat with Dracula occurs), but calling the beginning of combat with Dracula "revealing an encounter" obviously introduces a whole raft of extra problems.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zsolt Nagy
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering running into Dracula as running into an encounter for Secret Weapon is not causing any problems.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.