Wings of War: WW2 Airplane Packs» Forums » General

Subject: Question about planes description rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lieutenant-Commander Alan F. Black from 805 Naval Air Squadron FAA has "Country" description "USA". OK, that's clear: American pilot from British squadron.

But why Flying Officer Jan Falkowski from 315 (Polish) Squadron RAF and Flight Lieutenant Adolphe Vybral from 312 (Czechoslovak) Squadron RAF both have "Country" description "Great Britain"?

Just wonder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Venables
England
Horndean
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Sharks on 3!!
badge
1-2-3-SHARKS!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
All except one thing: Alan F.Black Lt Cdr RN was British, in a British squadron, flying an American designed plane.

I think that the country only references the squadron, and not pilot's country of origin.

EDIT: The country refers to the design of the plane alone. Hence the Pole and Czech as GB, and the GB pilot as USA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Methsdrinker wrote:
The country refers to the design of the plane alone. Hence the Pole and Czech as GB, and the GB pilot as USA.

So look here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/22510

For example:
Spad XIII - Edward V. Rickenbacker - USA.
Sopwith Camel - Jan Olieslagers - Belgium

SPAD was the French plane and Camel was British.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Venables
England
Horndean
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Sharks on 3!!
badge
1-2-3-SHARKS!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Dawn of WW2 only, and am not familiar with the WW1 game, but it would appear that you are correct.

I can only suggest that whoever posted the information was incorrect, or they have not formatted the information in the same way between the two games, going by pilot in WW1 and design/squadron in WW2.

EDIT: I notice that they don't mention squadrons in the WW1 listings, so that could be why they go by pilot(?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the WWI page has the info that are on the boxes: pilot when known, replaced by unit if pilot is unknown, and buy the air service if even the unit is unknown. See the Ufags: one is Flik 23/D since we don't have the pilot, and the other two are marked Luftfahrtruppen 1 and Luftfahrtruppen 2 since there is not even the unit (the 1/2 number is added to tell one from the other). Notice tyhat there is the item code.

Whoever put the data on the WW2 page (was it me? Maybe... Even if I am not able to make tables so I'd be surprised of it) did it far before that the planes were released, so using the data of the card game: pilot and then unit. And no product code (I still don't know them).

In all cases, the nation is the one of the unit where the pilot was serving, matching the writing and the cockade on the back of the card (usually also the ones on the plane - but this is not always true since there are interesting exceptions, from the Breguet XIV card with a French cockade and a Polish insigna, to the Russian Nieuport 23 model with almost French cockades). So That Wildcat is actually British, and I corrected the writing.

Besides, the nation is added to make everyone clear that the writing in Japanese means that the plane is Japanese and the one in Ukrainian that it's an Ukrainian one (not so easy to tell, often). But it's just something to help players, not a really accurate info. For example I think that Great Britain is just the island, and united Kingdom wopuld be more appropriate if it was meant to be a rigorous info...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.