CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the sixth adventure undertaken by The Thomson Boys in the Kellar's Keep Expansion for HeroQuest.

If you've missed the boy’s earlier adventures through the world of HeroQuest, you can find links to them at the end of this report.

Preparations

No new gear for this pimped-out lot.

Isaac (9) - Barbarian (Maurice) - Talisman of Lore + Chain Mail

Alex (7) - Elf (Aragorn) - Spirit Blade, Wand of Recall, Shield, Helmet

Riley (5) - Dwarf (Strongbeard) - Orc’s Bane, Borin’s Armour

Alex chose the Water Spells to gain access to Water of Healing, Sleep and Veil of Mist

Scenario Background

The Great Citadel - "The Great Citadel lies at the centre of the Halls of Belorn. This is where most of the Orcs now dwell. You will find them here in great numbers, for they are massing for their attack on the Empire. They are led by Gragor, an evil magician. So be warned, the battle will soon be joined. Prepare yourself well, for victory is not certain. The third part of Grin’s Stone Map is to be found in the Great Citadel."

Image Courtesy of Genre_Fad

Take a Number - Still filled with pride from having walked through the Hall of the Dwarven Kings, Strongbeard led the party into the Great Citadel, the once proud centre of this Dwarven Stronghold. He quickly rushed forth to deal out some death to a lonely Orc before Isaac and Alex ignored the 3 doors on offer to traipse off down the western passage. The Barbarian was the first to turn the corner at the end of the hall and was met by a string of creatures, which must have served as a guard patrol. With no less than 6 monsters in the patrol I made a joke about the scene being like something from a delicatessen, and the monsters have taken a number to get their death served. This was well and truly over the heads of Alex and Riley but Isaac laughed himself stupid.

When he was finished laughing he stepped up and dispatched a Firmir back to the fiery depths of chaos land. Aragorn and Strongbeard then had a tough choice to make. Stay put and wait for Maurice to finish doing his thing, enter one of the rooms or head round the back of the corridors to attack from the other side (provided it joined up but they didn't know that yet). They opted for the later option.

Before you could say 'I'm winning the kill count', Isaac had added 3 more scalps to his belt and only 2 Goblins and an Orc remained. The two smaller critters stuck with the Barbarian but the Orc heard a distant noise and went to meet whatever that sound was head on. It didn't matter much and soon all was quiet again in the hallways with only a scratch on the forehead of the Dwarf.

Angry Mr. Gragor - Out of the blue our feisty dwarf started making odd decisions. All 3 heroes were in the central corridor of the Citadel and were discussing which door to open when Strongbeard decided he wanted to check out the door in the North Western part of the Citadel. Maurice and Aragorn disagreed and opened the right hand door to be greeted by a rag-tag bunch of 4 Goblins. Within moments the two heroes were up to their eyeballs in combat, which they handled fairly easily and Riley was about to open his door.

The older brothers soon fought their way into the Map room and picked up Map part number three, before finding another two goblins which they duly took care of.

Strongbeard however was met with a totally different proposition. He had stumbled upon Gragor, the Sorcerer of the Foul and he had two Chaos Warrior body guards in toe for good measure. The Dwarf, being at full health, waded in with gusto ready to mount an assault on the Sorcerer. His 2 hits looked good as he laughed at me in glee. When I rolled the 4 dice and only scored 1 shield he laughed like only a 5 year old can. It wasn't until I rolled another 2 dice and spelled out that Gragor has 6 defense dice that he started to panic. Gragor brushed aside the attack and called in the heavies to take care of the situation.

Well of Tears - I hadn't seen tears for a little while, but with my first wave of attacks they were an ever present possibility. The 1st two attacks by the Chaos Warriors dealt 3 damage and Gragor followed up with another wound for good measure. Borin's Armour was failing our stubby legged friend and he wasn't happy about it, being reduced to 3 Body in the blink of an eye.

Isaac suggested that he attack and then retreat down the hall to keep the attacks to one at a time. Thankfully he was able to vanquish one Chaos Warrior before beating a hasty retreat. The other two boys realised they couldn't help in the confined space of the halls so they made slow progress north past the central room.

The next few turns saw a cagey game of 'hide and seek' play out. In his haste to flee, Strongbeard felt the 2nd Chaos Warriors Axe between his shoulder blades and he was reduced to 1 health point. Isaac co-ordinated the Dwarf's retreat and stepped in to halt the menace. But He did manage to keep out of the reach of Gragor and soon he was within a few meters of his brothers.

Spillage in Aisle 7 - The problem was that the Elf had stumbled into a whole lot of 'holy crap'! With the Party holding the map in hand, he had hoped to find the exit in the northern wall of the central passage. Of course he was correct, the clever lad, but he hadn't counted on 12 creatures completely blocking up the path between he and the door. In all there were 3 Firmirs, 5 Orcs and 4 Goblins laying in wait. The Elf rolled up his sleeves and took up a position, whilst he called out to his muscular friend tp stand shoulder to shoulder with him. Isaac took care of the 2nd Chaos Warrior but he had to leave Gragor to help Aragorn.

This would be a war of attrition and I wasn't too sure how it was going to pan out.

Of course this posed another problem. The Dwarf was sitting in the corner, too scared to open a door or move a muscle, but he really had nowhere to go. The passage was too narrow and Gragor was on his way to land the final blow that would see Strongbeard leave this mortal coil.

But there were still a few turns before Gragor would close the distance.

Isaac and Alex got to work and it all started so well. Two Firmirs fell quickly and an Orc soon followed. But the Barbarian was 'off his food', and 3 times...THREE...one of my trusty Orcs repelled his attacks. Aragorn's line was getting smaller much faster than Isaac's and he (Maurice the Barbarian) had taken 3 wounds as a result.

The moment of 'Gragor truth' was soon to be had and Isaac finally bested his Orcish nemesis. The Elf then realised he had no choice but to heal the Dwarf and he followed up with a Sleep spell (good old Wand of Recall) against the Goblin in front of him to minimise the heat.

Returned to 5 health, Strongbeard charged at Gragor and dealt a wicked blow (3 skulls). But the crafty Sorcerer was equal to the challenge and Riley threatened to dissolve into a puddle of water again. The battle went for another 2 rounds before Gragor finally succumbed to ‘Orc's Bane’, but the Dwarf had been reduced to 3 health yet again.

The Barbarian was making better work of the hordes, but it was becoming akin to 'Death by a Thousand Cuts'. With only 3 health left, the 2 heroes still faced one each of the foul green variety. I sent the Firmir to take care of the poorly armoured Barbarian and another hit did I score. The Elf was possessed this day however, and kept making 100% Skull and Shield rolls - he was untouchable and dismissed my units with ease.

A Subdued Conclusion - In the end Maurice called for back up in order to beat a cautious retreat. The Dwarf was happy to take the credit for the final blows and with the help of the Elf he put an end to my resistance and defense of the exit door. The lads had survived the Great Citadel, although they had left large (fun for me) sections undiscovered.

Post Game Thoughts - This adventure looked like a killer on paper and although they were tested a little, it didn't really pan out that way. The boys really did handle the climax fairly easily in the end and all those undead in the North Eastern wing went unutilised.

The Highlights

d10-1 The Delicatessen - Having liked my quip early in the mission, Isaac waited until Alex was whipping through his line in the end game. He came up with -

Elf - "Number 23, number 23."
Orc - "Why thank you. I'll have 2 kilos of sausages please and some dead Elf as well."

If I had cracked him up for 5 minutes, he must have cracked himself up for at least 10.

d10-2 The Boy's a Geek! - At one point Alex made yet another kill and he had been sorting his trophies into their own lines. I accidentally put his latest conquest (a Firmir I think) into the Orc line. He looked at me before scolding me with a, "Dad, that's the wrong line, the Firmirs go in that line." laugh

Now where's that Geek List about anal gaming behaviour? He'll be sorting his Axis & Allies minis into ranks in no time... shake

The Gift Shop

Finally Strongbeard got his Battle Axe! He hardly deserved it as he shed more tears than he made kills but the boys looked after him, adding what he needed to reach the 400GP asking price. Riley duly burdened Isaac with Orc’s Bane, but I’ll allow him to decide when he wants to use it, allowing him to revert to 3D when desired.

The Kill Count

The Barbarian and Elf were machines today, achieving 16 and 13 kills each!

Isaac (Maurice - Barbarian)

3 Firmirs (13)
2 Chaos Warriors (7)
3 Orcs (13)
0 Skeletons (4)
8 Goblins (17)
0 Gargoyles (1)

Total = 55

Alex (Aragorn - Elf)

0 Chaos Warriors (1)
3 Firmirs (5)
0 Zombies (1)
0 Skeletons (2)
5 Goblins (19)
5 Orcs (12)

Total = 40

Riley (Strongbeard - Dwarf)

1 Orc (16)
0 Firmirs (9)
1 Goblin (12)
0 Zombies (2)
0 Skeletons (2)
0 Chaos Warriors (1)
0 Gargoyles (1)
1 Sorcerer (1) (Gragor)

Total = 44

The Quest Rolls On

Join The Thomson Boys on their next adventure as they enter ‘The Eastern Passage’ as they came to exchange blows with the Captain of the Orcs - Ograk!

The Kellar's Keep Adventures

Adventure #1 - The Thomson Boys - A New Wave of Heroes

Adventure #2 - The Thomson Boys - Warrior Halls

Adventure #3 - The Thomson Boys - Raiders of the Lost Passage

Adventure #4 - The Thomson Boys - Like Termites in a Beaver's Den

Adventure #5 - The Thomson Boys - Tiptoeing Through the Dwarven Dead

Adventure #7 - The Thomson Boys - Up the Khyber Pass

[b]Adventure #8 - The Thomson Boys - Death From Above

Links - The Original Quests

Adventure #1 - Blooding a New Generation of AT Gamers

Adventure #2 - The Thomson Boys Save Sir Ragnar

Adventure #3 - The Thomson Boys - Gimli's Comedic Sense of Timing

Adventure #4 - The Thomson Boys Learn HeroQuest Strategy

Adventure #5 - The Thomson Boys - When Heroes Turn to Cowards

Adventure #6 - The Thomson Boys - Dark Days

Adventure #7 - The Thomson Boys - Tanks for the Memories

Adventure #8 - The Thomson Boys - Tricks and Traps

Adventure #9 - The Thomson Boys - A Dwarf goes Mining

Adventure #10 - The Thomson Boys - A Dwarf, an Elf and a Barbarian walk into a Magic Castle...

Adventure #11 - The Thomson Boys - A Dwarven King Departs...

Adventure #12 - The Thomson Boys - Tombstones and Trinkets

Adventure #13 - The Thomson Boys - A Sword too Far?

Adventure #14 - A Light at the End of the Tunnel...Staaay Awaaay from the Liiight)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Der Straeten
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for these, they are absolutely fantastic reads
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirg wrote:
Thanks for these, they are absolutely fantastic reads

Thanks for reading Andy. Despite having written a large number of reviews, it will be these Session Reports that I will treasure when I look back in 20 years. The reason is that I have a personal connection with them (my boys) and the feedback from folks like yourself encourages me to keep going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your reports still have me on the edge of my seat... I love reading the adventures. Thanks for keeping them coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Oooh.. the tension! Nice session, Mr Neil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...all those undead in the North Eastern wing went unutilised.

cry It makes this DM sad when undead goes unutilized. What a waste.

Terrific report, as always. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BFL's going down (under)
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A great read as usual, Neil.

Keep it going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only is this a fun game I have played with my family.

Not only is this an expansion I wish I had.

I can't help but think how your boys will look back at this wondrous time of their life and remember how cool their dad was!

As always, an enjoyable read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ronster0 wrote:
Not only is this a fun game I have played with my family.

Not only is this an expansion I wish I had.

I can't help but think how your boys will look back at this wondrous time of their life and remember how cool their dad was!

As always, an enjoyable read.

Yeah Ron, I think I'll look back on these posts in my later years with a sense of pride and accomplishment as a Dad. I think it is a great legacy to leave them and that one day they too will read them with adult eyes and fondness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've really enjoyed your session reports about HeroQuest and your boys! Thank you for posting them. I do have a question, however: You don't mention Gragor casting any of his Chaos spells. Did he use them, or did you forgo them in fear that you would slay all three of the heroes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solan wrote:
I've really enjoyed your session reports about HeroQuest and your boys! Thank you for posting them. I do have a question, however: You don't mention Gragor casting any of his Chaos spells. Did he use them, or did you forgo them in fear that you would slay all three of the heroes?

Thanks Adam. Hmm Chaos Spells...I'll have to look that up. It may be that we have different versions of the game as the US and UK versions had differences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
Solan wrote:

Thanks Adam. Hmm Chaos Spells...I'll have to look that up. It may be that we have different versions of the game as the US and UK versions had differences.

You're welcome. I was aware that there were differnces between the two versions, but I hadn't realized until now that the U.K. version lacked Chaos spells! That's a shame, as I had a lot of fun with them back when I played Zargon (as he's called in the U.S. version).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.