Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmer Sivertsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It took an awkward game night to finally play 6 with RvI.

It is pretty chaotic with 6. Yes, lots of phases get called. It's pretty difficult to be accurate in guessing everyone's most likely action calls. It was rare that all phases were called, but the free cards in phases were pretty sought-after, including production planets.

It was a very new experience in some ways - you could play even less defensively during the game...are you going to not call produce because someone draws 4-5 cards off of that phase? It's just 1 of 5 opponents! The larger deck spins through a lot faster - shuffling the deck happens 3 times, and the deck gets smaller as more cards are in hand/deck/play, some of the specific cards get cycled through more. For example, the Uplift 6-dev, Uplift Code - if any of the other 5 draw it, it'll see a quick demise. In a 2- or even 3-player game, if someone discards something, it's NOT coming back. 6-player? Discarded until the right player finds it!

Goals were tough to get - there was always at least a couple of people going for each goal, with a reasonable chance of getting it. The discard goal was pretty hard in one of the games - with all of the phases being called, you didn't want to lose tempo. (The other 6-player game we played, I was drawing 7 cards from Imperium Lords+Pan Galactic Research - the discard goal would have been met from massive produce-phase draws.)

I want to see some more of the larger games played - I only got to see the "I call Consume Trade with no goods, hoping someone else Settles" fail twice. Yes, more entertainment. With 3 people doing it, I want to see how long it will take before they break ranks and one of them calls Settle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When there are 6 players at a session, I usually favor splitting into 2 tables. There are far more games that play well with 3 (or 4 or 2) than with 6.

If there were 6, all of whom wanted to play R4tG, I'd still favor the split into 2 tables (assuming that there are at least 2 decks available). What do others think?

I'm particular interested in the views of those who, like the OP, have actually played with 6. I haven't. I've played with 5 a couple of times, and it seemed like too many.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Steensland
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group tried one 6P game yesterday. Actually, we all enjoyed it very much. Normally we play 4P and occasionally 2P.

The result wasn't very chaotic. Instead, everyone was able to focus on a specific strategy. I think the card cycling actually made the tableaus more "pure" (kind of like with the drafting variant).

Amazingly enough, one of our players managed to get 5 out of the 6 goals. He started with Alpha Centauri and followed a brown produce/consume strategy. 2:nd place was a rebel strategy with hidden fortress and improved logistics.

We will definitely try 6P again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndAgainMA wrote:
When there are 6 players at a session, I usually favor splitting into 2 tables. There are far more games that play well with 3 (or 4 or 2) than with 6.

If there were 6, all of whom wanted to play R4tG, I'd still favor the split into 2 tables (assuming that there are at least 2 decks available). What do others think?

I'm particular interested in the views of those who, like the OP, have actually played with 6. I haven't. I've played with 5 a couple of times, and it seemed like too many.
with 4p and 5p, you're even more likley to hit the reshuffle. In a couple of 5p games, we actually had to shuffle twice, but those were b/c we had all the new homeworlds in exp #1 and had plenty of look powers on top between the 5 of us n top of that.

With 6p, you hit the reshuffle even sooner. The main difference is still the new cards that you see as opposed to having that extra pleyr. This really isn't the kind of gmae that "mutates" into another game when you change the # of players. The draw "blind spots" are still the same. The card(s) that you want are either not drawn yet, being used as goods, or in other players' hands.

As for me, either people want to play RftG or they don't so, 2 3p games or 1 6p game has no bearing whatsoever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Scheer
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
AndAgainMA wrote:

with 4p and 5p, you're even more likley to hit the reshuffle. In a couple of 5p games, we actually had to shuffle twice, but those were b/c we had all the new homeworlds in exp #1 and had plenty of look powers on top between the 5 of us n top of that.

With 6p, you hit the reshuffle even sooner. The main difference is still the new cards that you see as opposed to having that extra pleyr. This really isn't the kind of gmae that "mutates" into another game when you change the # of players. The draw "blind spots" are still the same. The card(s) that you want are either not drawn yet, being used as goods, or in other players' hands.

As for me, either people want to play RftG or they don't so, 2 3p games or 1 6p game has no bearing whatsoever.

I agree with MA, I would rather play 2 3-player games than 1 6-player game. Maybe its my playstyle. I notice that I perform better when I pay attention, and the more players mean more things to track. Maybe I also do better in guessing what roles will be chosen and choose my roles accordingly, and therefore do more poorly when there are more players because there are many more roles that are getting chosen outside of my control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AndAgainMA wrote:
I've played with 5 a couple of times, and it seemed like too many.

One is too many for this game. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.