Hide
12 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Spending trophies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sarah Jaernecke
msg tools
My copy of the game was delivered two days ago, and by now I have played four solo games, one with 3 and the rest with 4 investigators. Some things have popped up during these games that I'm not sure I did right. Checking these forums have shown that I did some right, some wrong, and make some mistakes that didn't even occur to me.

One big questions remains: when using the special encounters in certain locations, can you spend as many trophies as you want to get the effect several times in the current turn? Or can you only get 1 blessing, 1 ally, 1 serving of clue tokens etc. per turn with any given investigator? My guess is, and I have played it that way, that it's one effect per turn.

Also, since monsters go back into the cup when spent in this way (unless I'm mistaken), and gates go back to the bottom of the stack -- I guess it's the smartest move to spend the least dangerous trophies first? For example, spend a Dreamlands trophy rather than a R'lyeh one, or a couple Cultists rather than a Flying Polyp?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You may only use each special ability ONCE per player turn. So if you ae at South Church, only 1 Blessing per round even if you could spend more trophies.

And yes, it is a good idea to spend "weak" monsters. But then again, the tougher ones ar worth more for a reason...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Jaernecke
msg tools
Thanks for the quick clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
So if you ae at South Church, only 1 Blessing per round even if you could spend more trophies.

I'm going to pick nits here and say: "Can't you only have one blessing Brian?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
So if you ae at South Church, only 1 Blessing per round even if you could spend more trophies.

SC allows you to buy a Blessing for any investigator, not just yourself .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeppster wrote:
Dam the Man wrote:
locusshifter wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

SC allows you to buy a Blessing for any investigator, not just yourself .

I just recently figured this out and slapped myself silly for missing it.

I rarely bother with Blessings, apart from William Yorick on the first turn (if possible) to pass his PS and to maybe Bless the investigator who is returning to seal the 6th gate, and that's a long maybe.

One thing I dislike about the "Blessing for anyone" is Rex Murphy (no, still no KH for me, just saying). It's a bloody Family Curse and all, he should bust his own butt for its removal. If Akachi is in the game, she can trade off her Spells, hike to the SC, spend her starting gate trophy to Bless Rex, thus failing her Personal Story, which causes her to discard is Spell, but wait, she has none shake . And Rex is a fricking Clue-machine. Or a devouring waiting to happen vs Ghatanothoa !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
locusshifter wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

What Dam said....

But, yes, YOU can only have one blessing, but you can Bless everyone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
You may only use each special ability ONCE per player turn. So if you ae at South Church, only 1 Blessing per round even if you could spend more trophies.

And yes, it is a good idea to spend "weak" monsters. But then again, the tougher ones ar worth more for a reason...

Where's the verification on this? I couldn't find it anywhere in the rules or the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jonnylawless wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Where's the verification on this? I couldn't find it anywhere in the rules or the FAQ.

Do you draw as many Encounter cards as you like? No, you draw one because there is only one encounter phase per investigator. Likewise, if you do not draw a card, you may activate the special ability of a location exactly once. You follow the instructions on the text. It tells you what you can trade. it doesn't say you can trade as much as you want: it tells exactly what you can give for exactly what you get.

And it was confirmed by Kevin that you only use it once per turn but I can't find the quote at this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

This was brought up over on the FFG forums recently. The funniest note against allowing multiple uses per turn: Why would use spend $2 at Asylum/Hospital to heal to full, if you could just take multiple of the alternative, heal 1 ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.