Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some questions relating to, you guessed it... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I most recently bought the game after finding out about it and all I can say is that I'm having a blast playing it.

My first game was played 3 days ago, together with my girlfriend. We're both relatively new to board games, so besides for some monopoly et al that's about it. This first game didn't go too well, there was alot of rulebook grabbing and such, which resulted in a slow paced first encounter.

But I didn't give up and read through the book feverishly in order to catch fish if you will.

Now our second game was alot more fun, I chose yig as the AO and we decided to just pick investigators instead of following the rulebook's suggestion of randomly doing so. I chose Michael Mcglenn and my girl went for the scientist lady, whose name I regretfully can't recall. We won after nearly 4 hours of playing by sealing 6 gates. Yig's doom track was at 8 or something, so we were lucky I guess, especially seeing that we only played with 2 investigators.

There are some things that are not very clear to me though and I was hoping that you guys could answer them for me.

1. When pulling a mythos card and placing a monster at whatever gate opens up as a result of said card, do you have to move the monster immediately, or only the ones that were already on the board?

2. When rolling for a skill check, do you need to declare your intention of using a clue token in order to get the 1 extra die, or can you spend one clue token after seeing that your initial roll resulted in total disaster?

3. How many spells can you use in a turn?

4. When your character is in another world, and he or she returns to Arkham after going through the other world, will said character need to face any new monsters that have appeared before they can close them? Also, do they have to go through the gate again because of new monsters that have appeared?

5. What the heck are the tokens with 1 2 and 3 for?

6. How does the terror track rise? I wasn't awfully frightened by it, seeing that the bloody thing stayed at a cool 1 terror. I've noticed that some mythos cards have +1 terror or something on them. Is that the only way?

7. If there is more than one monster at a location, do you have to fight them one at a time?

Well, I can't think of any other questions atm ( I knew I should have written all of them down when I had the chance e.a. when I was playing the game )

Thanks in advance,

Ralph

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McCullough
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Only existing monsters move, newly spawned ones do not.
2. You can spend clue tokens AFTER your roll and you may continue adding more to get more dice
3. As many as you can cast.
4. New monsters that appeared while you were in the OW do NOT need to be encountered before trying to close/seal a gate. You would only need to encounter them after you close/sealed the gate (unless you're playing with the rule that the monsters are sucked through).
5. Those are supposed to mark Rumors on the board, so you remember that something is happening at X location.
6. The terror track rises when enough monsters go to the outskirts, and by a few Mythos cards and a few main baddies have some powers that affect it as well.

Glad you're having fun! This is one of my favorites as well. And not to rush you too much, but the expansions offer quite a bit of cool new stuff as well!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
diplomaticimmunity wrote:
1. When pulling a mythos card and placing a monster at whatever gate opens up as a result of said card, do you have to move the monster immediately, or only the ones that were already on the board?


Steps of the Mythos phase, which are done in order:

"1. Open Gate and Spawn Monster
2. Place Clue Token
3. Move Monsters
4. Activate Mythos Ability" (p. 9)

Monsters that get placed during Step 4 don't move that turn.

Quote:
2. When rolling for a skill check, do you need to declare your intention of using a clue token in order to get the 1 extra die, or can you spend one clue token after seeing that your initial roll resulted in total disaster?


No. You can wait after the initial check and then chuck Clues one at a time.

Quote:
3. How many spells can you use in a turn?


As many as you can. All Spells exhaust whether successful or not, so they are once a turn (DH expansion offers a way to unexhaust one spell per turn). If they are combat spells, you're limited to the hands available.

Quote:
4. When your character is in another world, and he or she returns to Arkham after going through the other world, will said character need to face any new monsters that have appeared before they can close them? Also, do they have to go through the gate again because of new monsters that have appeared?


If you return normally, that is during your movement, you can ignore the monsters at the gate and attempt to close during the Arkham Encounter phase. Monsters that have appeared since have no bearing on closing the gate, the Explored token is all you need.

Quote:
5. What the heck are the tokens with 1 2 and 3 for?


Certain Mythos cards have "Activity at X".

Quote:
6. How does the terror track rise? I wasn't awfully frightened by it, seeing that the bloody thing stayed at a cool 1 terror. I've noticed that some mythos cards have +1 terror or something on them. Is that the only way?


In the base game, Outskirts overflowing or Mythos. Last 3 of 4 games have seen Terror at 6+ for me (using everything but KH).

#7: One at a time.

EDIT: Adonai, might want to refresh your rules regaring #1 .
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks Nathan. Yes, I've looked at the expansions already devil I love looking at all the different investigators at Arkham horror wiki. The soldier in particular looks like a cool character, I especially like the fact that they made him (apparently so after reading other people talk about him) an easy target for the looney bin.

So yeah, Dunwich horror is most likely going to be my next purchase, although I don't know if I have space for the extra board. The current game is a pretty tight fit to begin with and I dare not place such a beautiful board on the floor.

Ps. I've added one more question to my above post, but somehow I think I already know the answer. Just wanted to be certain.

Ralph
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Another question which has come to mind;

When you encounter a monster during the movement phase, do you fight it immediately or do you wait until the encounter phase?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
diplomaticimmunity wrote:
Another question which has come to mind;

When you encounter a monster during the movement phase, do you fight it immediately or do you wait until the encounter phase?


You need to deal with it, either by Evading in which case, if successful, you can continue to move or by Fighting, in which case your movement stops there. Both are done during the movement phase.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ok, cool. But how about monsters that pop up in OW as a direct result of one of the OW encounter cards? Do you HAVE to fight them or can you also evade them there like in Arkham?

If you can evade them, what happens with them then - do they stay there for future investigators or do they disappear after the investigator has moved on?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
diplomaticimmunity wrote:
Ok, cool. But how about monsters that pop up in OW as a direct result of one of the OW encounter cards? Do you HAVE to fight them or can you also evade them there like in Arkham?

If you can evade them, what happens with them then - do they stay there for future investigators or do they disappear after the investigator has moved on?


Those you have to deal there and then. They don't stay, though you can get a trophy if you kill it. Check page 22, under "Monsters in Encounters".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Berry
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Monsters that appear as the result of an encounter card are dealt with immediately. They can still be evaded or engaged in combat, and you can still try to flee the combat (as long as they aren't "ambush" monsters). If you successfully evade / flee - the monster returns to the monster cup. If you successfully defeat it, you get the trophy. If the monster defeats you, it returns to the cup.

The only exception are monsters that appear as the result of "A gate and a monster appear!" encounters in Arkham. Those monsters stay on the board, and the investigator is sucked through the gate and delayed in the outer world before they have the opportunity to engage the monster.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
diplomaticimmunity wrote:
1. When pulling a mythos card and placing a monster at whatever gate opens up as a result of said card, do you have to move the monster immediately, or only the ones that were already on the board?


Steps of the Mythos phase, which are done in order:

"1. Open Gate and Spawn Monster
2. Place Clue Token
3. Move Monsters
4. Activate Mythos Ability" (p. 9)

Monsters that get placed during Step 4 don't move that turn.

But monsters spawned with open gates do move on the turn they spawn, right? (just clarifying, since "Spawn monster" comes before "move monsters")
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Berry
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Aarontu wrote:
But monsters spawned with open gates do move on the turn they spawn, right? (just clarifying, since "Spawn monster" comes before "move monsters")

Yes, that's correct.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McCullough
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my! looks like we've been cheating all this time with the monsters not moving.

Thanks for the clarification!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Adonai_80 wrote:
Oh my! looks like we've been cheating all this time with the monsters not moving.

Thanks for the clarification!


You haven't been "cheating" you've just been "house ruling"!! laughcool
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I have another question!

How does OW movement actually happen?

Does it go like this? ;

Movement phase -

Bob Jenkins gets to the graveyard and encounters a gate leading to the great halls of celeano. He's immediately sucked inside by the gate.

OW phase -

Bob pulls a card and does whatever. He goes to the second part of the OW after getting a success from the aforementioned first OW card.

Turn passes..........

Movement phase -

Nothing happens. Bob has to wait for the OW phase in order to progress to the second part of the OW he is in.

OW phase -

Bob pulls another card and the outcome is positive. Bob now leaves the OW and goes back to the Arkham location where the gate was.


I'm kind of wondering whether he pulls a card at the OW phase and then waits until the next turn and its subsequent movement phase to move to the second part of whichever OW he is at or.... the above

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
diplomaticimmunity wrote:
How does OW movement actually happen?

Does it go like this? ;

Movement phase -

Bob Jenkins gets to the graveyard and encounters a gate leading to the great halls of celeano. He's immediately sucked inside by the gate.


Phase 2: Bob goes to Graveyard and deals with any monsters there. Phase 3, he is sucked to the OW.

Quote:
OW phase -

Bob pulls a card and does whatever.


Then you move on to Phase 5

Quote:
Movement phase -


Bob moves from the 1st area to the 2nd area (assuming he wasn't delayed)

OW phase -

Quote:
Bob pulls another card and the outcome is positive.


Move on to Phase 5 again.

Quote:
Bob now leaves the OW and goes back to the Arkham location where the gate was.


This happens during the movement phase of the following turn (so the 3rd turn).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Anderson
United States
Sundance
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite. OW movement happens during the movement phase.

Turn 1, Bob moves to the graveyard during the move phase. During the Arkham encounter phase he encounters the already open gate and is drawn through to the OW. During the OW encounter phase Bob draws his OW card.

Turn 2, Bob moves to the second half of the OW during movement. Draws his second card during the OW encounter phase.

Turn 3, During movement Bob comes back with an explored marker. During the arkham encounter phase he can attempt to close the gate.

This does change if the gate opens during his encounter phase due to an encounter card. He would then go to the outer word delayed and would end up having three encounters there, barring any more delays.

Hope that helps

Mike

*edit* beat to the punch cry
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey guys, just came back from another game of AH with a new question.

When you move from lets say the black cave to the police station and on the way your investigator encounters a monster at for instance... easttown street, does said investigator get to continue moving to the police station in the same movement phase? Or does the movement phase end after fighting the monster?

EDIT -

Also, how do blue bordered monsters work btw?

I've checked the manual and it didn't make sense to me, or at least the part about flying monsters moving the Sky zone next to the outskirts and then swooping down at any location on the map... ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
diplomaticimmunity wrote:
Hey guys, just came back from another game of AH with a new question.

When you move from lets say the black cave to the police station and on the way your investigator encounters a monster at for instance... easttown street, does said investigator get to continue moving to the police station in the same movement phase? Or does the movement phase end after fighting the monster?


If you fight it, snooze you lose (even if you kill it), your movement is over. If you Evade it, you can continue onwards.

Quote:
Also, how do blue bordered monsters work btw?

I've checked the manual and it didn't make sense to me, or at least the part about flying monsters moving the Sky zone next to the outskirts and then swooping down at any location on the map... ?


Check the FAQ . Basically, when the correct symbol comes up, if there is an investigator in the same location or in a connected street (adjacent to the flyers current spot), it will move onto the investigator. If there is nobody adjacent, it will move to the Sky. Once in the Sky, it will only move if the correct symbol comes up AND there is an investigator in a street (there are some exceptions, mostly Mythos cards to this of course).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.