Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Thebes and Arkham Horror. Thebes is family fun and Arkham is your basic night of fun killing monsters without burning your neurones!

Our gaming group has Tigris and Euphretes, RT with Europe expension, Axis and allies, Power Grid, Traders of Genoa, Race for the Galaxy just to name a few of glimpse of what kind of game I want.

I'm looking for a game that actually needs a bit more thinking to win then the 2 I have. It can include luck, I don't mind ir. A maximum of 2 hours lenght would be preferable. I don't want any war stuff like Axis and Allies.

I was thinking of Agricola. The only worker placement game we have is Stone age which is a light game but is awesome. I've also read about Steam, though we alreay have RT which I love but also seem light though vs Steam.

Please make me some suggestions and if it's a choice between Puerto Rico and Agricola, I choose Agricola.

Edit : We also have small world which we love and could have fitted the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second your own thoughts on Agricola - I think it would make an excellent choice. It has depth but at the same time is very accessible, and plays in the time you require.

Steam, or perhaps Chicago Express, would possibly also be good choices, but I haven't played either one yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Ra

Saint Petersburg

El Grande

Pandemic

Tikal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola sounds like a good choice, to be honest - I don't think you would go far wrong buying that.

Other worker placement option could be Pillars of the Earth, but personally I think Agricola has more replay, fun as Pillars is - the expansion breathed new life into it for us, but before that it had got a bit stale.

Another good deep game is Princes of Florence, which I like as much as Agricola, and certainly has tons of replay value.

Or, if you can get hold of it, Vegas Showdown I find goes down very well with players who love Stone Age (don't ask me why!). It's got a luck element, but has more strategy in it that you might think on the first few plays.

I haven't totally worked out the differences between all the Age of Steam clones, but if you enjoy RT and want something similar then Steam might be a good purchase. But I think they are quite similar in many ways, so if you're wanting something totally different from what you already have, Steam isn't it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I recently picked up Chicago Express. It will be in my top 10 for sure, but I need a few more plays to decide exactly where it will show up.

Some of the others I would have suggested you said your group already has. T&E and Power Grid are in my top 3, along with PR, but you said you aren't even considering that one, too bad it's a great game.

Agricola is definitely a great game. While I don't agree it should be number one, it is still one I like to get out on occasion. We played it a lot at work when I first bought it, and with the number of plays we got in it quickly turned in to the same game over and over again.

Steam is also a great choice. I have enjoyed it so far. I haven't played any of the other Wallace train games, so I can't compare it to those, but I am glad I bought Steam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:

Pandemic seems to have no replay value after a couple of plays. I want to get it, but I know with my group, it will collect dust after a couple of plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Empires III: The age of discovery borrows heavily from a number of different games(El Grande, Caylus, Puerto Rico) and, in my eyes, outshines all of them. Hard choices, great components, reasonable play time (1-2 hours) and just enough randomness to keep things spicy.

Also, it plays well with 2-5 players.

Beyond that, Age of Steam (or Steam) seems like they would be good choices.

thumbsdown For Agricola, in my opinion. Its a long and dry game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sa266 wrote:
Agricola sounds like a good choice, to be honest - I don't think you would go far wrong buying that.

Other worker placement option could be Pillars of the Earth, but personally I think Agricola has more replay, fun as Pillars is - the expansion breathed new life into it for us, but before that it had got a bit stale.

Played it once with the expension. Quite fun game, but not quite what I'm looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to add I'd prefer a game that can play 5 because that's the number we usually are.

I've read a bitabout brass and it seems a wonderful game. What do you guys think? Unfortunately it's only 4 though.

Does Agricola play good with 5 players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola is an excellent choice. If you want some of the role selection and shipping of Puerto Rico, you could take a look at Cuba. Both of those work well with 2. If you plan to play with more, Princes of Florences is also a very good game. Two others I'll toss out are Amyitis or Reef Encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobthesnake wrote:
I'd like to add I'd prefer a game that can play 5 because that's the number we usually are.

I've read a bitabout brass and it seems a wonderful game. What do you guys think? Unfortunately it's only 4 though.

I've played Agricola with all numbers of players (except for 1), and it plays excellent (but slightly differently) with all numbers of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobthesnake wrote:

Yes, Agricola plays well with 5, as does Princes of Florence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobthesnake wrote:

Agricola plays very well with 5, although it does get longer with each additional player.

I'd definitely second my recommendation for Princes of Florence if you're regularly playing with 5 - it's excellent with 5.

Not played Brass unfortunately, so can't comment on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also recommend both Chicago Express (CE) and Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery (AOE3). CE is a game in which the rules are simple and the game play is quick, but there's a lot of depth to it; it plays in 'bout an hour. AOE3 is a fun and intense worker placement game that might run a bit longer than you're looking for until your group gets accustomed to it; with 4 or less it's probably 2 hours, with 5 or 6 your first game or two might approach the 3 hour mark. With experience though, the playing time will go down. Down time is usually not much of a problem in AOE3 as there's always something to do or consider...the time in our games seems to pretty much fly by...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier, Sr.
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a second vote for El Grande.

Another game I recommend hightly is Hermagor. If you like RT and Power Grid, you'd probably love Hermagor, though I thimk it's just a bit deeper than the other 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
otha62 wrote:
I'd also recommend both Chicago Express (CE) and Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery (AOE3). CE is a game in which the rules are simple and the game play is quick, but there's a lot of depth to it; it plays in 'bout an hour. AOE3 is a fun and intense worker placement game that might run a bit longer than you're looking for until your group gets accustomed to it; with 4 or less it's probably 2 hours, with 5 or 6 your first game or two might approach the 3 hour mark. With experience though, the playing time will go down. Down time is usually not much of a problem in AOE3 as there's always something to do or consider...the time in our games seems to pretty much fly by...

I just read some reviews and basic functon of AOE3 and I think I'm gonna get it. I love games that plays well that have tons of bits and looks good.

I'm addicted to BG now, I will probably buy AOE3 with Agricola. Dang it. I'm scared of looking the reviews of Prince of Florence for the fear that I will buy it also.

Help me!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobthesnake wrote:
I'm looking for a game that actually needs a bit more thinking to win then the 2 I have. It can include luck, I don't mind ir. A maximum of 2 hours lenght would be preferable. I don't want any war stuff like Axis and Allies.

I was thinking of Agricola. The only worker placement game we have is Stone age which is a light game but is awesome. I've also read about Steam, though we alreay have RT which I love but also seem light though vs Steam.

Agricola takes about half an hour per player playing.
Or so they say, in my experience it takes about 45 minutes per player. Also, there really isn't much room to do planning, especially as you add more players since the strategies you can use are limited by what is left available to you. Agricola is a very non-intuitive (and honestly dead random) game. YMMV.

If you want something that requires thinking, consider Ghost Stories. The only way to win is to think through not only your turn, but how everyone else has to play to make everything work against the game. I will caution that it is a VERY hard game to win (and being cooperative everyone wins or loses together). The game plays in under an hour, and winning is VERY rewarding.

If you want an absolute brain burner, I highly recommend either Ubongo or Ricochet Robots. Both games play well under half an hour and will really make your brain hurt. They are both puzzle games, though (think logic puzzles) so some people may be put off by them as the games make them feel stupid (or so I'm told).

One last recommendation, Kingsburg. It is a worker placement game very similar to stone age. You use your resources to build buildings which give you special abilities (and points) to build up a victory point engine. I like this game a lot more than Stone Age (and coincidentally any other worker placement game, but I'm certainly unique in that aspect). If everyone knows what they are doing, the game can be played in under an hour. Expect your first game to take about 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola takes about 30 minutes per player - this is quite accurate. I do not find it dry. This is one of the very few games where we discuss strategies after play and wonder why we scored so good or so bad this time. But I understand why some people find it dry. Also, if you mind AP, Agricola may have way too much open information and too many possibilities for you...

Caylus is another medium-heavy or heavy worker placement game. It is much more complex than Pillars. I think it is less strategy-heavy than Agricola but more "rules-heavy". I don't remember how accurate the 2 hours of play time are. We have not played it for a while although we liked it very much when we got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Also, there really isn't much room to do planning, especially as you add more players since the strategies you can use are limited by what is left available to you. Agricola is a very non-intuitive (and honestly dead random) game.

Two people, two completely different opinions :-). I think there is a lot of planning and almost no randomness. If you have more players, additional fields for the workers are added. It does not balance perfectly, but well enough. Anyway, it seems the OP knows Agricola already, so no reason to discuss this further :-).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romian Tuesta-Vilca
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Agricola, but I like Through the Ages even more. You do not have anything like that! It is complex and exciting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
unkle
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saying that Agricola is really solid, you cannot go wrong there.

For 5 the current hot game I want to play all the time is Automobile, though availability might be ab issue here. 2hours, lots of thinking, interaction,... Though it only plays (I think) at 4 or 5 (forget 3 players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your suggestions. Right now, it's a choice between Agricola and Age of Empire III.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Agricola is about 30 mins. per player as mentioned above and I'd suggest it. It's a fantastic game that can span many people so get played quite a bit. It scales well for player numbers and experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
This is one of the very few games where we discuss strategies after play and wonder why we scored so good or so bad this time.

We do this too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobthesnake wrote:
otha62 wrote:

I just read some reviews and basic functon of AOE3 and I think I'm gonna get it. I love games that plays well that have tons of bits and looks good.

I'm addicted to BG now, I will probably buy AOE3 with Agricola. Dang it. I'm scared of looking the reviews of Prince of Florence for the fear that I will buy it also.

Help me!!! :D

Well, sir pantless, I'll chime in here. If you REALLY want the best game for your group then I DO suggest you look at the reviews AND the comments for these 3 games to make a prudent decision. If there any video reviews, you should look at those too.

I have read lots of good things about El Grande being the perfect 5-player game as well as The Princes of Florence for a large group. Don't discard any options until you are sure of what you want. Also, if there is any way you can play before you buy, you should try that too!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.