• [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir, I respect your daughter's clear reluctance to throw out a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the few games on BGG that seems to get a decent amount of love (in all its forms) and I just don't see the good. I think the fact that a "random player" can be competitive with a "thinking player" is why I don't like it. I'm okay with some luck in games, but this one seems to be just a small step up from War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review, as always. I had this version of the game but I got the German "6 Nimmt" to replace it because I couldn't stand how the cheap paper cards felt. And I never even tried to play "Cheater."

And as a nitpick, in your review you played a "6" but called it a "9." Didn't affect your gameplay though.

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My mum loves 6 Nimmt although she's pretty bad at it. She was asking to play it all the time while I was back in England recently though.

With regards to luck vs skill - we played a few ten player games over an evening and my brother won two of them with ridiculously low scores after using lots of thought and tactical play. My father in law just turned cards over randomly and lost horribly. I tend to play the game through gut instinct unless I have an obvious next card (though I try not to play the card that would come after the lowest of the four cards as the game goes on as folk tend to have to play lower and take the "hit" which then screws up playing such a card). I came third, fifth, seventh I think so my gut worked pretty average.

So yeah, loads of luck but there does seem to be enough skill for a short card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Mejor Juego de la Vida
Chile
Santiago
Region Metropolitana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is brilliant. The Slide 5 edition, however, it's really poor in quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
Game Artisans of Canada Member
badge
My Best Bud Parker 2004-2016
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review Tom. Your introduction to the game gave me a good chuckle this morning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
loved the comedy in the beginning! lol

Great review as always... i want to pick this up now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres F. Pabon L.
Colombia
Bogotá
DC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game, and great review (as usual).

I didn't know they had a new tin box version... I guess it costs a bit more? I got my Category 5 some years back for 5 dollars, a real bargain.

Now, let me tell you that with 10 players it's a blast. We played at my wife's grandmother house on New Year's Eve a couple years back; and I don't know if it was the wine and beer, or the great ambience, or what have you... but people actually stood in line to get to play this one (there were more than 10 people present, so we took turns), and everyone had a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review, now, how does everyone prepare for the next round after your 10 cards are played? Tom notes writing down the points and shuffling the cards. How about any left on the 4 rows? Shuffle those also and start with 4 new cards on the table?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bnordeng wrote:
This is one of the few games on BGG that seems to get a decent amount of love (in all its forms) and I just don't see the good. I think the fact that a "random player" can be competitive with a "thinking player" is why I don't like it.

Random play can win and the great thinker can come in last, but the thinker has a big advantage here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You should post this same video as a review of Cheater.

The 6 is upsidedown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jefftang wrote:
Good review, now, how does everyone prepare for the next round after your 10 cards are played? Tom notes writing down the points and shuffling the cards. How about any left on the 4 rows? Shuffle those also and start with 4 new cards on the table?

We always start fresh with a full shuffle and 4 new cards.

Tom Vasel wrote:
If there are 4 cards in a row and the last one's a 44, and you have the 45, you probably shouldn't play the 45...

Actually, you SHOULD almost always play the 45. As a row can hold 5 cards you are guaranteed to slide into the row (unless another player plays low and takes the row with the 44). The only time I wouldn't immediately play the 45 was if I also had the 46 (or some other close card) because you would then be increasing the chance that you will take the row.

I introduced Category 5 at work quite successfully. We usually played with 4 - 6. We played over 40 times before my co-workers tired of it. Frankly I wasn't expecting it to last quite that long, what with the lack of strategy.

One of my co-workers then went out and bought Take 5!. Despite its more strategic card play I actually didn't enjoy that game as much as Category 5 / Slide 5. I enjoy the double-thinking and simulanteous play of the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
Sir, I respect your daughter's clear reluctance to throw out a game.

Tom:

Did you have multiple copies of this game, or did you have to dig Cheater out of the trash to throw the cards at the camera?? laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one copy. What I did is anyone's guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rutherford
United States
Perrysburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree that the card quality is just plain bad considering that they use a metal tin for storage.

It was also nice of the company to give Kramer credit and the name of the original game on the cover of the tin.

I received this one in the Origins Math Trade and hope to get it to the table with my lunchtime game group at work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
And as a nitpick, in your review you played a "6" but called it a "9."

Actually, I wouldn't call it a nitpick, because it points out my primary complaint of an otherwise good game, and something which I'm surprised that Tom didn't bring up in his review.

The font used on these cards is needlessly confusing. Many of the numbers are hard to read. As a result, even after playing several times, people still get confused as to whether you're holding an 86 or a 98, for example. Tom demonstrated this by his 9/6 error.

As a result, I find myself ignoring the big bold numbers and trying to focus on the small index number, but even this isn't always readily evident. A different font would have made a huge positive difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a smart move, teaching your daughter that games should be thrown into the trash. Next week she may try it with your stack of Dominion or Thunderstone cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.