Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Richter
United States
Springfield
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't but I was curious if others did...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nor me, i only log face to face games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bushchicken
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Sounded like a good idea at the time
mbmbmbmbmb
Anytime I play against a human opponent I count it. Doesn't make sense (to me) to not count it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Foulke
United States
Bethel Park
PA
flag msg tools
Welcome to Friedey's!
badge
You want fries with that?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not on BSW, but I log all ACTS/VASSAL/cyberboard games. Many of the games I own won't get any logged plays at all, otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally only log games played in person with humans (not games played via or vs. computers). I make exceptions for games like Merlin that are specifically designed for solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I log them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I log BSW games. Since I'm playing against people and since I'm increasing my play level (hopefully) by playing I don't see why I shouldn't log them. Now one thing I DON'T log is whether I win or lose. That's irrelevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only log games that are played using physical components. So BSW games don't count. Not that I use BSW anyway... I like to make a distinction between board and computer/video games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sherwood
United States
Arundel
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't log games anymore, but I would definitely log BSW games.

It seems rather arbitrary (to me) to define a play as "must have used cardboard."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/376385

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
unkle
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I log almost everything with a human inside (but not solo plays like RFTG robot). Some games would not get played at all or nearly without BSW/PBEM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything with human interaction (even through the net), so no bot plays.

All of my online play so far as been against people I know and do play games with in person, so I feel it's justified to log those plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
I pretty much only play games face to face so I only log those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gallardo
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, F2F only
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do. It's still playing a board game, even if it is virtual.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Wilson
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason I log games is to help remember the real-life experiences and interactions I've had with my fellow players, so I add comments for every session. I like to be able to look back at my Played Games and say "Oh yeah, I remember that Space Alert game -- it was the time Jason threw the Threat Deck at my head because I forgot to charge the reactor!".

Online plays tend to have fewer memorable moments, so I don't go to the trouble to log them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So what have we learned today, class?

*no one raises hand*

Ahem. It's that people use the logging system in different ways for different reasons. Billy? BILLY! Do you think there is only one right way to log games?

Yes?

NO! Get out of my classroom! Go tell your parents to wear protection next time for the sake of us all! Now, Suzie...

Yes?

Do you think that if someone uses the logging system differently than someone else they should be admonished or shunned?

Uh...

NO! Get out of my classroom! Go tell your parents to install a pole in your room so you can get lots of practice, because the only way you're going to earn money is a dollar at a time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
unkle
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess we have learn that any collaborative system with freedom does not mean you should not try to understand how others are using it, that discussion is good and does not rightfully means confrontation.

I will now leave the classroom and prepare for studying being a teatcher, because really they are replacements to be made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Richter
United States
Springfield
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
unkle wrote:
I guess we have learn that any collaborative system with freedom does not mean you should not try to understand how others are using it, that discussion is good and does not rightfully means confrontation.

I will now leave the classroom and prepare for studying being a teatcher, because really they are replacements to be made.

;)

Agreed-
The last two times I have posted questions, I have gotten attacked for asking. It seems like when I posted:
"Do you log BSW games, I do not" people took that (without reason) as:
"You log BSW games?? You are a doo doo head if you do. That's stupid!"

The last one I posted was: "Is it ok to use scratch paper to record another person's money in a game where money is not officially open"

I couldn't imagine then, the responses I would get. Most were nice, but some make statements that were down right insulting. Mind you, I didn't mention whether I thought it was good or bad, just posed the question.

I am about done asking questions on BGG because of it. I asked the two questions because I am curious as to how my fellow gamers game and how they use BGG. I didn't make any statement that I was doing things right and others were wrong..

So. I have said my peace. I am sure someone will respond to this email with a Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhh and a sad smiley face a few responses down the thread. We live in a very sad sad society. I doubt many of the responders would have been so insulting if I was standing in front of them. The anonymity of the net surely makes it easy to be a jerk.

Ciao
Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timrichter9 wrote:
I am sure someone will respond to this email with a Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhh and a sad smiley face a few responses down the thread. We live in a very sad sad society. I doubt many of the responders would have been so insulting if I was standing in front of them. The anonymity of the net surely makes it easy to be a jerk.

You do realize that you're 'fixing' the outcome now? You're terminating the discussion before it even started. Every one who agrees with you just confirms that this is indeed a sad sad world and everyone who disagrees with you just shows how sad. It's a lose-lose situation.

Personally I don't see an attack in this thread. I see some jokes that you may or may not find funny, but no attacks.

I wonder, would you be insulted if these remarks were made if the people were standing right in front of you?

I am not attacking you, but this is not a sad sad world we live in. BGG is the most friendliest and charming board I've ever been on.

Example? There's a special recommendations forum just for people looking for new games. Every other week a new user opens a thread in the general gaming forum (where we are now) asking which game he should buy next. not once has a user been slammed for posting in the wrong place. They give him tips on which games he should buy next.

Same thing for asking questions about specific games in this forum. Users don't get slammed, they get directions to the specific game itself and it's forum. Not with the intention to tell him to 'sod off', but because the user will get quicker and better answers.

I've been on loads of boards where you get cursed at, insulted, called names and even banned if you post in a wrong forum.

back on-topic:

I don't play in BSW, but I don't think I'd log the games if I did. I play 99% of my games with my girlfriend and it's fun to jot down some short notes to remember what happened. A few weeks back we read back the game-notes from the last couple of months which was fun to do.

I don't see those things happening in an online playing environment and that's why I wouldn't log the plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I talked about this briefly on Boardgame Babylon once. Essentially, every play - whether against F2F opponents, against BSW folks in realtime, against PBEM players on Mabiweb or SpielByWeb, or even solo in an electronic version of the game adds to my overall experience with a game. That is what is interesting for me to track. It adds to my overall knowledge of the game, my understanding of the strategy, and my relative time spent with the game. I couldn't care less about the medium.

Honestly, I find enormous value in online play sometimes. It's a great pick-me-up when I don't have time to organize a board game night but I do have a half hour before bedtime. What if those six games of King's Breakfast on BSW are enormous fun and I have some great chats with the people I played with? I'd like to recall that when I go over my five-and-dime list at the end of the year. Heck, it's even fun to realize I played Ingenious 100 times solo in a year.

Further, if I was curious about whether a friend that I knew tracked her plays on BGG had played a certain game, I would find it far more helpful if she tracked electronic games. What if she'd played 200 games of Dominion on BSW and none in person? I'd think I would have to teach her the game. BSW tracks plays but why would I want to go hunting around when it can all be in one place? BGG gives one the ability to carefully note details of a play if you like. It would be quite easy to note solo plays, electronic plays and such if one is so inclined.

From a statistics-geek perspective, I'd rather you all track your electronic game play, too. When I look at whether a game is still getting play, I'd like to know whether it is getting ANY play, not just F2F play. What do I care if you played Tichu 400 times in person rather than online? But I do care a bit that you played Tichu 400 times, period. That is what interests me when I look at Mark Jackson's list - what is getting played at all - not what is getting played on a table. Of course, that's just me and perhaps some love the idea of only keeping that annual list to F2F plays. Oh well.

I have yet to see a convincing argument as to why one should exclude these other plays but, as with most things, you should do what makes you happy. I think that's the best recommendation of all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to log BSW plays, but the inflation of my play count got too ridiculous. So I recorded every 2nd BSW play. But it was still ridiculous. I settled for logging a single play, then describing all my BSW plays and record on the play detail, like this.

I don't want to log, because my play count gets inflated; I want to log, because I want curious people to know my experience with a game, and so I get credibility on my opinion of the game. This was the best system I found for satisfying both positions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recording games played is there for you. You decide what you want to log.

The total stats are nice, but in the end you log games because you want to log them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Korneliussen
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
There could be a combo box, to make stats more comparable/meaningful. Do you log

1. All games
2. All games against other humans, incl. solo games
3. All games against other humans, not solo games
4. Face to face games only

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
nope

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.