Dominion: Intrigue» Forums » General

Subject: Clarity About BGG Interpretation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dylan Shakespeare
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Intrigue can be played independently from Dominion, is that why it can be in the ranking system? Expansions usually aren't.
And you know me: if this keeps up, CAYLUS IS GOING TO BE KICKED FROM THE TOP 10!!! cry

By the way, see this related thread about Goa: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/424385
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abstractite wrote:
Since Intrigue can be played independently from Dominion, is that why it can be in the ranking system? Expansions usually aren't.

Yes, this is my understanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion Intrigue is a standalone game that can be combined with another standalone game (Dominion). It is not an expansion, according to the designer, the publisher, and the contents of the box and ruleset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Shakespeare
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, thanks guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:
Dominion Intrigue is a standalone game that can be combined with another standalone game (Dominion). It is not an expansion, according to the designer, the publisher, and the contents of the box and ruleset.

According to Jay, it's both an Expansion and a Standalone game. But the BGG database can't handle that situation, so they picked one (then they switched it to the other).

Edit:

Here's where Jay said that it's both: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3363503#3363503

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
AnakinOU wrote:

According to Jay, it's both an Expansion and a Standalone game. But the BGG database can't handle that situation, so they picked one (then they switched it to the other).

Edit:

Here's where Jay said that it's both: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3363503#3363503

It is, in fact, a floor wax and a dessert topping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it like Ticket to Ride and Ticket to Ride:Europe, only in addition you can combine the two together and build giant railways across the Atlantic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
AnakinOU wrote:

It's an expansion that can be played by itself.

The question ultimately is what people want out of the ranking system. Which I can't answer. So far, standalone expansions seem to be ranked separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant to say "it's not JUST an expansion". Sorry about the mix-up...I didn't mean to put words in anyone's mouth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Shakespeare
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I tend towards thinking that it should be ranked separately.

Like I said: IT'S GOING TO PASS CAYLUS!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abstractite wrote:

The real sad thing is that its going to pass Race for the Galaxy.

Dominion is really awesome. I could easily see a top 10 including Dominion, Intrigue, DOminion expansion #2, Dominion expansion #3, etc...
Which makes me think that only Dominion should be included in the rankings, because otherwise we'll end up with a top 10 thats half Dominion, which is kindof silly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
Abstractite wrote:

Dominion is really awesome. I could easily see a top 10 including Dominion, Intrigue, DOminion expansion #2, Dominion expansion #3, etc...
Which makes me think that only Dominion should be included in the rankings, because otherwise we'll end up with a top 10 thats half Dominion, which is kindof silly.

However, it seems like, at least with Seaside, that the next expansions will be just that, expansions. They won't be played stand alone, so I don't really see that being a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
AnakinOU wrote:

So are about a dozen Magic: The Gathering expansions.

I'm not entirely clear why the treatment of this was different than the treatment of "Magic: The Gathering - Ice Age" or "Magic: The Gathering - Mirage"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
thatmarkguy wrote:
donaldx wrote:

I'm not entirely clear why the treatment of this was different than the treatment of "Magic: The Gathering - Ice Age" or "Magic: The Gathering - Mirage"...

Yes, and those Magic expansions aren't even listed in the database, as expansions or otherwise, except somehow for the first Portal. If you want Dominion to be treated like Magic, that would mean not having an entry for Intrigue at all. Since people are posting in the Intrigue forums, it looks like giving Intrigue an entry hasn't worked out so badly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
donaldx wrote:
AnakinOU wrote:

The general BGG policy on collectable card games and miniatures is that if any purchase is comprised of a randomized unknown product, then all future expansions are considered an extension of the randomness inherited from the base game.

If Dominion Intrigue was sold as a "you get a random assortment of Kingdom cards", then it would be folded into the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abstractite wrote:
CAYLUS IS GOING TO BE KICKED FROM THE TOP 10!!!

This alone is enough reason to keep the system the way is is now! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Shakespeare
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnweldy wrote:
Abstractite wrote:
CAYLUS IS GOING TO BE KICKED FROM THE TOP 10!!!

This alone is enough reason to keep the system the way is is now! laugh

robotthat does not computerobot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Payne
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmb
donaldx wrote:
The question ultimately is what people want out of the ranking system.

Apparently, they want their cake and to eat it as the same time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
Abstractite wrote:

I don't think this will happen, as the rest of the games are going to be outright expansions, not Expansion + Full Game. Or so it has been said.

I don't think Intrigue counts as a true expansion, because I've had it for a week, I've played it maybe 20 times, and the original Dominion box has sat in the cupboard that whole time. Hard to call it "just" an expansion when the original game isn't required
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lardarse wrote:
donaldx wrote:
The question ultimately is what people want out of the ranking system.

Apparently, they want their cake and to eat it as the same time...

What's the point of having cake if you can't eat it? They don't make good door stops (kinda messy, ya know).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:

You're right. I would not see 10 Dominion expansions in disguise in the top 10.
Or people who don't like Dominion should be encouraged to rate Intrigue also. After all, isn't it the same game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.