Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Herb Finkel
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am about to start teaching some games during lunch at work. The game that I am going to start with is Brass.

The reasons that I am starting with Brass are:

1) Good ratings for the game
2) On line play is available and pretty darn good
3) Complexity is good. Make people think.

Drawbacks seem to be:

1) Complexity is bad. Hard for adoption.
2) Only up to 4 players.
3) Not a "gateway" game.

Thoughts, comments, ideas on how to teach it, what to teach next, how to approach would be appreciated.

Note: when I sent out the meeting invite, I caught one of the invitees checking the game out on the Geek

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, how long is lunch?

Especially first time out, it will run longer than you expect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2017
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
loofish wrote:
Wow, how long is lunch?

Ummmmm... yeah. I've actually never played Brass, but I have seen it being played during game nights and I can't imagine this being the way to start off lunchtime gaming at work.

Are your co-workers really ready for a massive commitment with this much complexity? I've been playing games like Pandemic and Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride and No Thanks! and For Sale at work over lunch and those have gone over very well. I was even hesitant to bring in Ticket to Ride, thinking that the first play may go beyond our time available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Finkel
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was actually thinking of teaching, playing a few moves and then moving them onto the web.

TTR is a good gateway game. I am still waiting for my copy of Small World.

Could be worse, could have started with 18xx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Flinn
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brass ehh... you may want to try something a little quicker... perhaps a romp through Descent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2017
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
herbfinkel wrote:
Was actually thinking of teaching, playing a few moves and then moving them onto the web.

I would only do this if you are confident that they will be willing to take up playing on the Web (without you there). Most everyone I know (game player or not) much prefers to play games face to face versus on a computer, especially when learning.

Every group is different and you should do what will work for you. I'm just concerned that you could have some interested people who run away before they get a chance to really experience the hobby. Whet their appetite and then bring Brass to them when they are craving more. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
herbfinkel wrote:

Drawbacks seem to be:

1) Complexity is bad. Hard for adoption.
2) Only up to 4 players.
3) Not a "gateway" game.

#'s 1 and 3 will doom your plan I fear

if they are already gamers, it might work, but if they arent, I'd stick with carcassonne or TTR to start off with and then you can easily find out who the ones are that want to progress beyond them after a few plays.

I know some friends that are happy to stick with settlers or TTR , and I wouldnt dream of teaching them a heavier game ( hence me trading away T&E)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JimbobJones wrote:

We just get done playing TTR, the new player enjoyed it. I'm all like "OK, you want to try this other game? SmallWorld is just as easy to play and a lot of fun!"

"No, let's play the train one again!"

Ugh. I love TTR, but damn if I don't want to start using Agricola as a gateway game just to have something else to play. (Granted, I don't think I want to sit through the constant "Why'd you just take that action? I needed that action!!! I quit!!!" from non-gamers.)

Why not let people play what they want to play?

As for high-end complexity and non-gamers, they rarely mix. I've only played Brass once, but it's not a game I would introduce right away to new gamers, let alone non-gamers.

If the goal is to expose potential gamers to the hobby, they have to find their own comfort zone in complexity. When they reach that complexity comfort zone and don't want to proceed further, so be it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't have to teach it, but a guy from work and I have started playing Carcassonne during the lunch hour. The timing is perfect and, I would say, is very easy to teach those who take an interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Herbst
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said Brass seems overly long and complicated for a lunch game at work. I would imagine the success rate of such an endeavor in most workplaces would be less than 1%. Your situation might be radically different however. Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the scrub
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One side note: when I've taught games at work, the only real successes were with people already inclined to play IF they weren't gateway games. What is more, people who walked by casually would be incredibly dense -- questions raged like "Is that Risk?/Monopoly?" or "Aren't you guys a bit old for games?" Find a nice quiet spot where you won't be disturbed by the idiots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've taught Wings of War to my workmates. It has a few things going for it as a lunchtime game.

It is really easy to teach to nongamers. I've said it before, but there are not many games were you can say "I can teach you this in 5 minutes." and mean it.

The theme is pretty well known, and tends to draw people in.

If you are not using the minies the whole game can fit into a small, easy to carry, box. After all it is just cards and tokens.

The games can have quite a fast turn around, so more people can get a go. The area we play on at work is 900mm by 800mm. An area this size speeds things up because you don't get people disappearing to the far side of the table. You will however have people fly off the table on a regular basis, until they get the hang of the movement cards.

The game itself is relitively light hearted, and can be a good de-stresser. (Although this may have something to do with the people that I game with)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Yates
United Kingdom
York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've started a small group at work, some of whom are casual gamers and some are merely curious. I wanted to teach them a few gateway games that have a maximum 1-hour playtime as a prelude to some more 'advanced' games further down the line.

There are about 6 of us and the games we have played so are with are fairly conservative but successful and are:

Ticket to Ride
Pandemic
Carcasonne
Zooloretto

The favourite, by far, is Zooloretto. The strategy is picked up very quickly and its lighness and cuteness isn't a block to those of us who are more grizzled gamers. I took this away on a church weekend recently for a quick after-dinner game and it was such a hit with non-gamers we we were up until 2am playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.